Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Undeliverable Mail.....

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2006, 08:44 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Undeliverable Mail.....

I am suddenly getting a pile of messages every day which have nothing to do with me with "message can't be delivered" notice. Using my website address but with weird user name. Usually come with a couple of attachments which I guess are bugged. Of course I just hit delete but getting fed up with them. What's this all about?? Have run Spybot, Adaware and Norton through system to clean up. TIA David
Old 16 April 2006, 08:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

HERE IS SAMPLE

=====

This is the Postfix program at host hknpx2.hknet.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

<flora8@hknet.com>: host mxproxy.hknet.com[202.67.240.19] said: 550 5.1.1
<flora8@hknet.com>... User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Old 16 April 2006, 08:55 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

dont worry about it, its a common occurance. Basically, its a random name sampler using your domain as the start point. so if your domain name is @joebloggs.com it hits every option with the first part, so you get friends@jogbloggs.com , barry@ etc etc, all trying to find a legit email address and also coax you into opening either the attachment or to pursue further.

Ignore every one and after about week or 2, it will start sloping off and then disappear. PITA but just another annoyance.
Old 16 April 2006, 09:32 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tony. I'll be patient then
Old 15 May 2006, 05:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Sorry to bring this up again but it's still going on and now my ISP (Plusnet) say it's all my fault - I must have a bug - and threatening to suspend my account.

Here is their message:-

"Dear Customer,

It has come to our attention that a source of unsolicited email has been linked to your account with us. This could have one of several possible causes, including those in the following list:

- You are running an insecure SMTP relay or proxy software
- Your PC is infected by an email virus, worm or trojan
- You have a web server with an insecure Formmail script
- You are yourself sending unsolicited email

The sending of unsolicited email (Spam) is strictly prohibited under the Terms and Conditions of service under which your account is provided. While we accept that most such occurrences are inadvertant, it is your responsibility to ensure that computers you connect to the Internet through us are configured securely and kept free of viruses.

An abuse management case is currently open against your account regarding this matter. Please read the following and take any remedial measures that are required:

- If you run your own mail server software, ensure that it is configured only to relay mail for your computer or computers' specific IP addresses.

- If you operate a web proxy, IP proxy, or connection sharing software of any other sort, ensure that it is configured to proxy only for your computer or computers' specific IP addresses.

- Make sure that any server software you run, including the above, is securely configured and has all recommended fixes and security updates applied.

- Make sure that any computer or computers that run Microsoft Windows have an appropriate and up-to-date Anti-Virus solution installed. We also strongly recommend that you employ a personal Firewall.

When you believe you have resolved the problem, you should use the Contact Us facility on the customer web portal to inform us that you have done so. Please use Contact Us and do not reply to this mail directly, as tickets raised to us through the portal are linked to your account and can be dealt with more speedily and efficiently.

Any other queries you may have about the content of this mail can also be passed to us through Contact Us, and we will be glad to help you resolve any issue you may have.

Please note that if you do not respond to this warning, your account may be suspended."

=======

So is it likely to be down to me after all? Comments invited. David
Old 15 May 2006, 05:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

David,
Here's what I'd suggest:

Get your antivirus software up to date, then download and install Spybot Search & Destroy make sure it has all the latest updates as well.

Reboot the machine, tap F8 a few times and it should allow you to select the "Safe mode" option. Boot into this, then run Spybot and allow it to scan and remove anything it finds. Then run the virus scanner. Reboot, go into safe mode again, run Spybot and the AV again and see if everything is clean.

If so, then you should in theory be ok for the moment. Run AV and Spybot every now and then (or automate them to run at startup, they should have options for that).
Old 15 May 2006, 05:33 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

David

agree with all of markus's suggestions (top marks sir )

also have a look in your program files folder and look in the common folder. lots of little nasties get dumped in here. look for anything suspicious.

also if you are up to the task, download a copy of
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/

very useful in weeding out dodgy tasks running on your pc

make sure0if you are running any P2P software, that ultrapeer is not selected and that no proxy settings are set.

that and all of markus's suggestions should get you started
Old 15 May 2006, 05:51 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - good to have peeps on here that do know what they are talking about

But are you suggesting that fault IS likely to be on my PC rather than some external source over which I have no control??

As my first post says I have run Spybot and Adaware although not from start-up/safe mode.

David