Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

TOCA Race Driver 3 [PC] - DVD Verification

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2006, 09:00 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOCA Race Driver 3 [PC] - DVD Verification

Thought I'd pick up a racing game since I don't really have any on the PC, so I bought this due to the decent variety in it, but the damn thing won't even load the game ! I think its down to the stupid Starforce copy protection - when launched the game attempts to verify the disc but fails each time. I've tried it in both my DVD drives but it still won't have it.
Has anyone else experienced this problem, better still does anyone know how to get round it ?
If I'd have known it was going to be this much hassle to get an *original* game working, I'd have sourced it 'elsewhere' !
Old 27 March 2006, 09:05 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Go to www.gamecopyworld.com

download the no cd/dvd patch and paste it over the existing exe file in your toca program files directory
Old 27 March 2006, 09:24 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical example of the genuine consumer trying to do the right thing and coming up against problems where as the pirates get the hassle free easy install.
Old 27 March 2006, 09:26 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I tried that site already but there's no overlay .exe file, just a cheat enabler and a fixed MDS image file (I haven't imaged the DVD to the HDD). Also tried megagames but they don't have TOCA3 listed there at all.
All copy protection does is give people who've actually shelled out for the game more grief ! And I can't take it back to the shop because I've taken off the shrinkwrap, so if I can't get it going it's £30 down the toilet. I've mailed Codemasters tech. support but don't hold much hope out
Old 27 March 2006, 09:27 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

This happened on mine until I disabled McAffee antivirus. I have to turn this off to get the game running at all. I have heard that other programs (roxio drag-to-disc, Nero, Creative labs disc monitor etc) can also cause this.

Basically, turn off anything that monitors the drives before starting the game...
Old 27 March 2006, 09:28 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar problem in the past and Codies were pretty quick to send me a new DVD which worked first time
Old 27 March 2006, 09:32 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I have no background software running at all - when I run games I usually shut down any memory-resident processes being run by the current user, so there's no AV, Nero or anything running. I'll give it another go tonight and just check there's no other processes looking at the drives.
The workaround I've read up about means you have to image the disc and actually physically disconnect the power to the optical drives ! WTF !

Trending Topics

Old 27 March 2006, 11:29 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Have you got any tools installed such as Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, etc. as these can also stop it working.
Old 27 March 2006, 11:48 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Try using a free utility called 'drivehide'
Old 27 March 2006, 12:41 PM
Ballistic
Scooby Regular

I can play this game with McAfee running in the background. Doesn't seem to make any difference.
Old 27 March 2006, 01:18 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

The whole thing just freezes up straight away if I have McAffee running. I guess it depends on the spec of your machine as to what actually causes the problems.
Old 27 March 2006, 01:28 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Have you got any tools installed such as Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, etc. as these can also stop it working.
No, I don't have any of these apps installed, I also killed off every non-critical process in Task Manager but it still fails to verify the disc. Codemasters got back to me and suggested I changed the DVD to region 2, and change the autoplay settings but to no avail.
I'd really rather not go down the road of having to image the disc and crack the exe, after all I paid for the game so I wouldn't have any of this ****.
Old 27 March 2006, 01:51 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

No probs here. Works fine. Love doing donuts until your tyres blow then ride around with your rims on fire

Simon.