ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   TOCA Race Driver 3 [PC] - DVD Verification (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/502928-toca-race-driver-3-pc-dvd-verification.html)

MJW 27 March 2006 09:00 AM

TOCA Race Driver 3 [PC] - DVD Verification

Thought I'd pick up a racing game since I don't really have any on the PC, so I bought this due to the decent variety in it, but the damn thing won't even load the game ! I think its down to the stupid Starforce copy protection - when launched the game attempts to verify the disc but fails each time. I've tried it in both my DVD drives but it still won't have it.
Has anyone else experienced this problem, better still does anyone know how to get round it ?
If I'd have known it was going to be this much hassle to get an *original* game working, I'd have sourced it 'elsewhere' !

lightning101 27 March 2006 09:05 AM

Go to www.gamecopyworld.com

download the no cd/dvd patch and paste it over the existing exe file in your toca program files directory :thumb:

bob269 27 March 2006 09:24 AM

Typical example of the genuine consumer trying to do the right thing and coming up against problems :brickwall where as the pirates get the hassle free easy install.

MJW 27 March 2006 09:26 AM

I tried that site already but there's no overlay .exe file, just a cheat enabler and a fixed MDS image file (I haven't imaged the DVD to the HDD). Also tried megagames but they don't have TOCA3 listed there at all.
All copy protection does is give people who've actually shelled out for the game more grief ! And I can't take it back to the shop because I've taken off the shrinkwrap, so if I can't get it going it's £30 down the toilet. I've mailed Codemasters tech. support but don't hold much hope out :(

Iain Young 27 March 2006 09:27 AM

This happened on mine until I disabled McAffee antivirus. I have to turn this off to get the game running at all. I have heard that other programs (roxio drag-to-disc, Nero, Creative labs disc monitor etc) can also cause this.

Basically, turn off anything that monitors the drives before starting the game...

XRS 27 March 2006 09:28 AM

I had a similar problem in the past and Codies were pretty quick to send me a new DVD which worked first time :)

MJW 27 March 2006 09:32 AM

I have no background software running at all - when I run games I usually shut down any memory-resident processes being run by the current user, so there's no AV, Nero or anything running. I'll give it another go tonight and just check there's no other processes looking at the drives.
The workaround I've read up about means you have to image the disc and actually physically disconnect the power to the optical drives ! WTF !

Hanslow 27 March 2006 11:29 AM

Have you got any tools installed such as Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, etc. as these can also stop it working.

lightning101 27 March 2006 11:48 AM

Try using a free utility called 'drivehide' :thumb:

Ballistic 27 March 2006 12:41 PM

I can play this game with McAfee running in the background. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Iain Young 27 March 2006 01:18 PM

The whole thing just freezes up straight away if I have McAffee running. I guess it depends on the spec of your machine as to what actually causes the problems.

MJW 27 March 2006 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Have you got any tools installed such as Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, etc. as these can also stop it working.

No, I don't have any of these apps installed, I also killed off every non-critical process in Task Manager but it still fails to verify the disc. Codemasters got back to me and suggested I changed the DVD to region 2, and change the autoplay settings but to no avail.
I'd really rather not go down the road of having to image the disc and crack the exe, after all I paid for the game so I wouldn't have any of this arse.

P1Fanatic 27 March 2006 01:51 PM

No probs here. Works fine. Love doing donuts until your tyres blow then ride around with your rims on fire :)

Simon.