Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Dumb question about the New Mac Probook

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2006, 03:29 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question about the New Mac Probook

Does it run Mac specific programmes only or can pc based micro$haft products be loaded.

I'm giving serious consideration to 1 of the new Probooks, but don't fancy forking out for a new copy of Photoshop for it if I have to.

Thought it would be better to ask this now than after spending 1500 quid.

Cheers
Simon
Old 07 March 2006, 04:00 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

you'll be able to load vista onto it side by side, but not xp.

ie; you won't be able to install your photochop into osx x86. caveat, unless you use virtual pc.
Old 07 March 2006, 04:51 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

By default the Intel based machines will only run Mac OS, thus your PC apps will NOT run on the machine.

The new machines use EFI instead of BIOS, which means that, at present you cannot run Windows 9X or XP on the machine. Vista is meant to support EFI, but I've not yet seen any reports of people getting the current builds of Vista to run on the Intel based machines.

The current version of Virtual PC does not run on the Intel based Macs and MS is working on an intel version, but there is no solid release date.

Emulation is possible, using something like Q, but at present there are issues with installing Windows 9X (these can be easilly overcome) and XP (no real workaround at present unless you have a PowerPC mac to hand)

The one other big thing to mention is that Adobe's products are not Universal yet, that is, they are not optimised for the intel processor. This means they will run via Rosetta, which is the PowerPC emulator. Adobe is working on Universal updates for it's product range but has stated they won't be available until Q1 2007.
Old 07 March 2006, 04:55 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

So for the time being if I want a mac, I'm better of buying a second hand G4 and cs for OS.

Or waiting a year!!!
Old 07 March 2006, 05:03 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

if your going to have it full of ram id go with a macbookpro now then you will have no need to upgrade later
Old 07 March 2006, 05:13 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I won't be upgrading, this is a 1 off job to be a mobile data storage for the camera, and edit pics on the fly when I need to. Also to show pics after a shoot, and control the camera in the studio.
Old 07 March 2006, 06:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
So for the time being if I want a mac, I'm better of buying a second hand G4 and cs for OS.

Or waiting a year!!!
Assume you mean second hand G5 rather than G4.

There are rumors of better specification Macbooks on the way, so waiting might be prudent. The entire Mac range should be transitioned over to Intel by the end of this year.

It is a tricky time right now, deciding what to purchase, bottom line is that the non Intel machines are all going to be EOL'd, however, that does not instantly make them obsolete, some people are still running 10 year old machines with Mac OS 7.5 on them, and software developers aren't going to suddenly stop making PowerPC versions of their software.
Old 07 March 2006, 06:59 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Didn't think you could get a G5 chip in a powerbook.
Old 07 March 2006, 09:00 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

They have already upped the specs of the MacBooks.The ones we had a week or so ago were of a higher spec than advertised. If you are runing photoshop it work be much if any faster than a powerBook G4.

The intel iMac runs Phtoshop at about 45% of the speed of a G5 version. The Univrsal apps are much faster with speeds approaching double that of the G5 based machines.

We're now seeing panic buying of G5s PowerMacs and iMacs starting to happen as customers start to understand whats going on.

If you are going to get a Powerbook you need to order it soon, like tomorrow before they are gone !

AllanB
Old 07 March 2006, 09:19 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Smile

Exactly my thoughts . . .

The other reasons are 17" screen and decent battery life something the MacPro cannot offer as of yet !

rich

ps I love my G4 17" PB
Old 07 March 2006, 09:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Didn't think you could get a G5 chip in a powerbook.
Doh!, sorry forgot we were talking about laptops here. You're correct, no G5 Lappys. I think one of the reasons for the intel switch was so Apple could have a competitive laptop, and the G4 was not cutting it with the PC equivs, and a G5 Laptop wasn't going to be around anytime soon, so something needed to happen.
Old 07 March 2006, 09:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Allan,
When you say higher spec, do you mean the revised 2.16 as opposed to the, umm, 2.13 spec that Steve initially annouced, or do you mean a spec level above 2.16? (PM me if you don't wish to dicusss it publically)

I've heard that Amazon are not releasing orders of MacBooks, and have quoted something about the official release date being 20th March. My thought was this might be an indication that they are holding off as speed-bumped machines were very close to release.
Old 07 March 2006, 10:52 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Gahhh, I don't know what do to.....

Do I wait, or do I buy a intel based and run an emulator, or buy a powerbook and cs to match.