Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Activating Win XP

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2006, 06:01 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Activating Win XP

I bought a new desktop last week which came without an operating system as i didn't want to pay £70 for XP pro when i have a genuine CD, etc from my previous system.
I installed it and everything is running sweet exept for the reminder which keeps asking me to activate it. I tried the code but it doesn't work (is it because i used the code on my old machine?)

What happens when the 30 days is up? will it still work (some1 told me the system will shut down)?

I don't see why i'd have to buy another XP pack when i have a previously bought 1 already

help....
Old 13 February 2006, 06:08 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robby
I bought a new desktop last week which came without an operating system as i didn't want to pay £70 for XP pro when i have a genuine CD, etc from my previous system.
I installed it and everything is running sweet exept for the reminder which keeps asking me to activate it. I tried the code but it doesn't work (is it because i used the code on my old machine?)

What happens when the 30 days is up? will it still work (some1 told me the system will shut down)?

I don't see why i'd have to buy another XP pack when i have a previously bought 1 already

help....
It's all to do with licensing. 1 x copy XP for 1 x PC.
You can still register it on-line but don't try to use both at the same time as the other copy.
Old 13 February 2006, 08:06 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

The activation code is based on the hardware it is installed on. You should be able to reactivate via the internet or phone up again and get a different code.

This is all assuming it is a retail copy of XP in a box etc..

OEM copies which will have a genuine authenticity stuck on the pc's don't count as they are sold with that machine only and technically you cannot transfer it to another.
Old 13 February 2006, 09:11 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HHxx
The activation code is based on the hardware it is installed on. You should be able to reactivate via the internet or phone up again and get a different code.

This is all assuming it is a retail copy of XP in a box etc..

OEM copies which will have a genuine authenticity stuck on the pc's don't count as they are sold with that machine only and technically you cannot transfer it to another.
This is what i have - does this mean it'll shut down on my new computer?
Old 13 February 2006, 09:47 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by robby
This is what i have - does this mean it'll shut down on my new computer?
It means that legally you cannot transfer the old XP Pro licence to your new PC, so after 30 days the copy will stop working on your new PC (because you will not be able to legally licence it) which will mean a trip down to PC World to buy a boxed XP Pro kit for just under three hundred quid

If you get the choice, buy the OEM software when you get the new hardware as it is usually massively discounted (or some might say, anti-competitively pre-installed)

mb
Old 13 February 2006, 10:00 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Ring MS and tell them you have installed new hardware and they will ask you for keys etc and they will provide you with a new one that will work. 1 license for 1 computer is utter crap really when my PC has been rebuilt and upgraded upteen times in its life.
Old 13 February 2006, 10:06 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Well the other option is to move away from Microsoft and install a copy of LINUX. It's free and runs most of the good stuff, apart from MS Office. But you can get free versions of something similar.
Old 13 February 2006, 11:33 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
Ring MS and tell them you have installed new hardware and they will ask you for keys etc and they will provide you with a new one that will work. 1 license for 1 computer is utter crap really when my PC has been rebuilt and upgraded upteen times in its life.
Although MS are pretty lenient, they don't just hand out new keys *****-nilly.

As this is a completely new system, none of the security identifiers will match on the new key you have to read out to the nice lady in India, so 'I just upgraded my motherboard' probably won't cut it.

For the life of me I cannot understand why punters are so tight when it comes to genuine licencing. Is £60 for an OEM XP Home too much to pay considering the hassle it will spare you in the long run?
Old 14 February 2006, 07:22 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

If I purchased XP everytime I have put a new motherboard or grapics/ hard drive in I would have about 30 copies of XP now.......is that fair ?
Old 14 February 2006, 07:49 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

this is where Select Keys come in handy *

*i in no way condone piracy, but they are handy for unattended scripted xp installs on 30 machines at a time
Old 14 February 2006, 10:37 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Don't suppose you know where to 'obtain; these select keys.

I do have one for when I'm rolling out computers ( an older one) - just like you because it's easier for unattended installs etc. Each computer has it's own XP license though.
Old 14 February 2006, 12:13 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

All well and good getting a hacked key but chances are windows update will not work leaving your system wide open.
Old 14 February 2006, 02:08 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Well the other option is to move away from Microsoft and install a copy of LINUX. It's free and runs most of the good stuff, apart from MS Office. But you can get free versions of something similar.
Yup, Open Office. Very good, opens all the Word and Excel documents I've ever asked it too. Seems to run a lot quicker than the bloatware that is Office.
Old 14 February 2006, 02:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

With regards to keys, how about "Windows XP Pro Corporate". Does not require activation as it's for corporate use, where you don't want to have to activate every single install of windows. If you were to use a dodgy key then it would install, you'd not need to activate, but, you won't be able to use Windows Update, as the Windows Genuine Advantage check will check the key, find out it's dodgy and then refuse to run.

I would assume there are ways round this however.
Old 14 February 2006, 06:00 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Yup, Open Office. Very good, opens all the Word and Excel documents I've ever asked it too. Seems to run a lot quicker than the bloatware that is Office.
And LINUX should run faster than Windows as well. And you get a nicer Windows interface.
Old 14 February 2006, 06:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I like *nix but I don't run it as a desktop solution, only as a server solution, and then only really for testing purposes (need to make sure the various AFP solutions for various server platforms does not break our software).

Apart from Office, there aren't too many apps that you'd want/need to run where there isn't a decent *nix version. The main thing would, however, be gaming. So if you're into games, *nix might not be for you.
Then again, if you're going the *nix route, dual boot the box with *nix and XP and scour the net for ways to bypass the aforementioned key/WGA issues
Old 14 February 2006, 07:13 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
If I purchased XP everytime I have put a new motherboard or grapics/ hard drive in I would have about 30 copies of XP now.......is that fair ?
Purchase 1x "retail" boxed copy of xp?
Old 14 February 2006, 07:28 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
I like *nix but I don't run it as a desktop solution, only as a server solution, and then only really for testing purposes (need to make sure the various AFP solutions for various server platforms does not break our software).

Apart from Office, there aren't too many apps that you'd want/need to run where there isn't a decent *nix version. The main thing would, however, be gaming. So if you're into games, *nix might not be for you.
Then again, if you're going the *nix route, dual boot the box with *nix and XP and scour the net for ways to bypass the aforementioned key/WGA issues
I think your talking about Mainstream UNIX such as AIX, SOLARIS and HP-UX.

LINUX is just as good as a Client solution as well as a good Server solution. Besides there are many variants about (Free to download and use ). Okay if you play games then it may not be the ideal solution. But for mainstream office then you have a chance. And besides you can get lots of free legit software for it.
Old 14 February 2006, 07:40 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HHxx
Purchase 1x "retail" boxed copy of xp?
I have
Old 14 February 2006, 08:25 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andys
All well and good getting a hacked key but chances are windows update will not work leaving your system wide open.
There's a really easy workaround to that issue though
Old 14 February 2006, 08:28 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jpor
HA! You also forgot to mention any of the latest games
Old 14 February 2006, 08:43 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
HA! You also forgot to mention any of the latest games
HA! But I did mention this in my last post:

Okay if you play games then it may not be the ideal solution. But for mainstream office then you have a chance.
Old 14 February 2006, 10:42 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl
Don't suppose you know where to 'obtain; these select keys.

I do have one for when I'm rolling out computers ( an older one) - just like you because it's easier for unattended installs etc. Each computer has it's own XP license though.
computer manufacturers are given select keys to allow them to put on any MS software including applications and operating systems (not sure about games) onto any machine. you need a friendly manufacturer to let you have theirs (not very likely).

all the updates work fine on any installs i have done. our machines in work are XP pro desktops linked to WIN2K server. any boxes i do have office 2003 minimum on them, while some may have MS Access, Project and Autoroute as well.
Old 14 February 2006, 10:51 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

This is very simple..........

Just try to activate your installed copy of XP (you can re-activate XP after 129 days of the previous activation). If you get a nice little message saying "thank you your software is now activated" etc etc then jobs a good'n.

If that doesn't work or you have activated that number within the last 129 days then simply use the "activate by telephone method” and type in your numbers as instructed on screen, it will fail because it’s already been activated and put you through to a "human".
When they come on the phone just tell them you have had to re-install and need to re-activate (they usually don't even ask, 1st thing they normally say is "please read out your number" etc).

They will then read you a number back, which you will type in, and your install will then be activated, job done!

It's all a load of sh!te really. I use to work for a hardware company where we would have to re-load peoples systems etc after replacing components/hardware failures and such, not once did MS ask the reason for re-activation.
Old 15 February 2006, 09:42 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

We do this all the time @ work.

We build new forensic machines from the best bits of old disclaimed hardware, and use the XP licences that are usually stuck to the cases.

If it doesn't automatically activate, a quick telephone call to the "Activate by Phone" call centre fixes it.