Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox 360, the future ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2006, 07:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xbox 360, the future ?

Interested to see what we will be treated to over the next year or two, PGR3 is amazing but I was wondering seeing as thats one of the launch games, i.e. it will be for sale on Ebay for 3 quid this time next year, how much of the power of the 360 is being used ?

I personally cant wait to see a GTA title on the 360, that will be a sigh to behold.
Old 05 February 2006, 07:10 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm tempted to get a 360, but there's something niggling in the back of my mind saying DON'T DO IT!!!

I don't know why though...
Old 05 February 2006, 07:41 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I'd personally wait for 6 months. Like all MS products, it seems to take time for the issues to surface and get fixed. Look at windows releases as an example.
Old 05 February 2006, 07:51 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
I'd personally wait for 6 months. Like all MS products, it seems to take time for the issues to surface and get fixed. Look at windows releases as an example.
My thoughts aswell
Old 05 February 2006, 08:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cant, already bought one !
Old 05 February 2006, 08:34 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Why do you think it will have loads of issues, (at least any more than any new hardware release)? You seem to be suggesting that because it is a microsoft that it will somehow be of a worse quality than competitors products? You obviously don't remember the problems there were with the ps1 and ps2 when they were launched. The MS machine is no more and no less likely to suffer these problems.

It was estimated that PGR3 was only using about a 3rd of the processing power of the machine. For a start, it was only coded as single-threaded, and as such only used one of the available processing cores. There's a lot more to come from this little machine

It's up to you whether you get one or not, but I know that everyone I know who does have one don't regret it one little bit. Myself included
Old 05 February 2006, 08:41 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

does the 360 gets a blue screen when it crashes
Old 05 February 2006, 09:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

'It was estimated that PGR3 was only using about a 3rd of the processing power of the machine. For a start, it was only coded as single-threaded, and as such only used one of the available processing cores. There's a lot more to come from this little machine'

Thats w2hat I wanted to hear !
Old 05 February 2006, 10:53 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

PGR3 was also rushed for launch. We won't begin to see the true potential of the machine until the next batch of games (things like gears of war for example)...
Old 06 February 2006, 01:03 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

my next buy will be Fight Night Round 3. The demo blew me away it really was Next Gen as the saying goes.

For all those waiting on PS3 all I can say is that it MUST beat the 360 in terms of GFX because it's going to be on the market a whole year later.
Old 06 February 2006, 02:00 AM
viperkick
Scooby Regular

Old 06 February 2006, 08:28 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
PGR3 was also rushed for launch. We won't begin to see the true potential of the machine until the next batch of games (things like gears of war for example)...
Yup, they claim to pay attention to detail yet forget to include simple things like heat haze off the exhausts
Old 06 February 2006, 01:22 PM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

thing in my mind called ps3, whats that going to be like, games for that etc.

Plus on the ps2 the net was an add on they expected to be the future, the xbox was planned with the net in mind, therefore a lot more games came out offering net games! I will be intersted to see what the ps3 holds for online gaming, grand turismo online, nfs, etc would all be awesome.

I think i will give it a few more months then get out there, plus hopefully the xbox will be down a bit in price!
Old 06 February 2006, 01:36 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARM-Scooby
I will be intersted to see what the ps3 holds for online gaming, grand turismo online, nfs, etc would all be awesome.
Agreed, will be interesting to see what Sony can do with the online side of things...

Xbox live is an impressive package and is going to be very hard to beat...
Old 06 February 2006, 03:14 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARM-Scooby
thing in my mind called ps3, whats that going to be like, games for that etc.
Well, it's not likely to hit our shores until next year, so you might have a bit of a wait

I hope the PS3 has a better selection of games than the PS2. Apart from God Of War, I haven't bought / played a ps2 game for nearly a year now. Just not interested in anything it's got to offer. Conversely, I used the old xbox, and now the 360 a great deal.

I may get a PS3, but I doubt I'll get one at launch, (unless the urge for a new gadget takes over). It'll be in its infancy just like the 360 is now, so I wouldn't expect any true innovation in the first crop of games...

I will be intersted to see what the ps3 holds for online gaming, grand turismo online, nfs, etc would all be awesome.
Dunno about that. I though GT4 was actually pretty boring, the car physics were just bad, and even the track layouts on the so called "realistic" circuits did not match the circuits themselves. I'm not looking forward to GT5 at all if it's going to be more of the same.

As for online gaming, they've got a long way to go to catch up with the MS live service. It's not just getting the infrastructure in place, but also getting the subscribers. Something that takes some time...
Old 06 February 2006, 03:41 PM
King RA
BANNED

I have an xbox 360, but you guys need to go to gametrailers.com and check out the PS3 videos. It looks a damn site more realistic, some videos barely look like a computer game (GT4 and the F1 game for example) and these are gonna be launch titles too.

You need to realise though the technology is not a year newer, Japan is scheduled for a spring release so if the xbox 360 was Dec and PS3 is spring then thats only just over a 1/4 of a year newer. They've approached the job differently.

Old 06 February 2006, 03:45 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Still yet to be proved that those videos are actually from a PS3 though aren't they?
If GT5 makes it as a launch title I'll be very surprised.
Aren't the PSP owners still waiting for GT4 Mobile?!?!
Old 06 February 2006, 03:46 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Both those ps3 shots you have linked to are pre-renders. Not in-game footage at all, (that much was admitted by Sony).
Old 06 February 2006, 03:52 PM
King RA
BANNED

ok I didn't know that...still look good mind.
Old 06 February 2006, 03:58 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That they do
Old 06 February 2006, 04:26 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm still pondering over an XBOX360, I've got the original xbox, have used Live and love it. I don't play it that much these days, as I don't have as much free time as I used to, so that's probably the main reason I've not upgraded yet, but I probably will do at some point.

I'm waiting until I see actual games running on the PS3 before comparing it with the 360, plus I want to see what Sony is going to do with regards to online gaming. With the PS2 it was next to useless and I think MS stomped all over them with Live, then again, Sony seems to have some viewpoint that online gaming isn't a big deal, at least that is how they used to be, one hopes they realise that it is a big thing and to beat MS they are going to need an online system that is equal to, if not better than Live.
Old 06 February 2006, 04:41 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Like all MS products, it seems to take time for the issues to surface and get fixed. Look at windows releases as an example.
Like all tech products, not just MS stuff!
Old 06 February 2006, 04:49 PM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
Yup, they claim to pay attention to detail yet forget to include simple things like heat haze off the exhausts
there is heat haze off the exhaust. check the zonda on the starting line. you can not see it very well in a still pic but you can see the exhaust deformed by the heat haze.

Last edited by W 12 X T C; 06 February 2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06 February 2006, 06:32 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have a Xbox360 and it runs without any problem. There are always issues with new consoles at the beginning of their lifecycles. OK, maybe not with the Nintendo's (NES, SNES, N64). :-) I have never before had a console with such a great quality controller as the one that comes with the 360.

Currenty, the availability of 360 consoles is quite bad (except Japan), but I am sure that it wouldn't be different if another vendor launches its console almost simultaneously worldwide. If the PS3 comes out (probably spring 2007) and if the games and price sound interesting, I might get one too. Nevertheless, I have heard that there are about 3 developers worldwide that have the skills to develop games for PS3's fulles potential. We will see what happens...
Old 06 February 2006, 10:35 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by W 12 X T C
there is heat haze off the exhaust. check the zonda on the starting line. you can not see it very well in a still pic but you can see the exhaust deformed by the heat haze.
You've got incredible eye sight or a dodgy tv

Cant see anything on my 32" HD LCD, maybe its a bit to subtle, dont recall seeing any brake disc glow either even when braking at 200mph
Old 07 February 2006, 10:43 AM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob269
You've got incredible eye sight or a dodgy tv

Cant see anything on my 32" HD LCD, maybe its a bit to subtle, dont recall seeing any brake disc glow either even when braking at 200mph
im using a 27" toshiba hdtv. it is quite subtle and you can only really see it when the car is not moving. just start a race but dont move. use the zonda it is more noticable.