Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Unix Partitions

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2006, 04:10 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Unix Partitions

I got into a discussion yesterday about partitions and Unix. Over the last year or so, the admin's have taken to installing just a / and /var. (one even didn't put in a /var but we fixed that one)

I'm very much of the thinking that you need:

/
/var
/<user/application>

at a minimum.

I'm not happy about users of machines being able to write to /

(users could be an application, such as oracle for example, I didn't really mean home accounts)

Having specified a Solaris build late last year, which was CHECK tested and only revealed 2 minor issues, and some of that specification related to disk partitions and security issues, I think I'm correct, and will enforce what I think.

But I'd be interested in other people's views on it before I throw my dummy out for people ignoring what I've put in a build documents.
Old 04 February 2006, 06:04 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
I got into a discussion yesterday about partitions and Unix. Over the last year or so, the admin's have taken to installing just a / and /var. (one even didn't put in a /var but we fixed that one)

I'm very much of the thinking that you need:

/
/var
/<user/application>

at a minimum.

I'm not happy about users of machines being able to write to /

(users could be an application, such as oracle for example, I didn't really mean home accounts)

Having specified a Solaris build late last year, which was CHECK tested and only revealed 2 minor issues, and some of that specification related to disk partitions and security issues, I think I'm correct, and will enforce what I think.

But I'd be interested in other people's views on it before I throw my dummy out for people ignoring what I've put in a build documents.
Well I agree with you on that one. / is root's main directory if that fills up you loose your space there then the whole thing will crash. I can talk about this in an AIX way (IBM UNIX). From what I can gather all UNIX O/Ses use /, /var, /usr, /tmp. In theory users should only be able to read/write and maybe Xecute from his/her /home directory.
DBAs should really only have access to their files which lie usually in /usr/bin.