Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

RS232 problems

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2006, 09:57 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS232 problems

Anyone help with this one?

Got a laptop that I need to plug a device with an rs232 com plug into.

Problem 1
Laptop has no rs232 port.

solution 1
got a usb to rs232 lead

problem 2
device won't work via this lead (device is a dive computer interface and it works fine on desktop pc)

solution 2
have now got a pcmia card with an rs232 port which is supposed to be uart 16550 compatible (as required by the device)

problem 3
still wont work. The card appears in the device manager and seems to be working fine. is there a way to adjust the uart as it seems it can do different uart.(don't know what uart means it mentions it a lot on the faq for the device )
http://uk.uwatec.com/support/faq_datatrak.asp (question 32)

Any ideas, as I am getting very annoyed with this thing now.......

RobP
Old 20 January 2006, 11:07 PM
ChrisB

Hi Rob,

Our engineers at work use RS-232 to talk to telephone systems.

Laptops with proper serial ports are getting harder to find and the few companies that still include them don't put them on the budget models.

We've tried both the USB/RS-232 widget and a PCMCIA RS-232 card. Neither worked with the PBX programming software. Not had the time to figure out what is different but it's not promising

Good luck!
Old 21 January 2006, 08:32 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chris.

Have managed to get the manufacturers website details and have e mailed their support desk direct. Fingers crossed as i really want to be able to download my dive computer to the laptop whilst on holiday.

Any one else got any ideas while I wait for a reply

RobP
Old 21 January 2006, 08:35 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Okay. I have a look at that URL you posted. Found this:

31. My laptop does not have RS-232 serial port. It has only USB-port and PC-Card slots. How can I connect the MemoMouse to my laptop?

The Data TRAK program can detect MemoMouse only if the PC has 16550 compatible UART. This type of UART is standard for the PC's having RS-232 serial port.

For adding an RS-232 serial port to a laptop, a serial I/O PC-Card is needed and the PC-Card must have 16550 compatible UART. This kind of PC-Card is available, for example, from Socket Communications, Inc. (www.socketcom.com).

Note: The new serial port has to be installed as COM1...4, that DataTrak can access it.

What this means is that your current laptop not having a built in RS-232 Serial port will not be able to use the USB or the PCMCIA card. Unless it can properly emulate a standard serial port. Looks like this software uses old methods of communication. Thus the old method being a serial port that can operate as a Com port 1 to 4 and with the standard com port settings of either; 3f8, 2fe, 3e8, 2e8 and with IRQ's of 3 & 4. This is what MS-DOS used to use when setting up COM ports.

The software your trying to use looks like it's ancient. And has not been upgraded to the later Operating systems. In other words it still dependent on MS-DOS running in the background.

The I/O card it mentions will only be an option if you have a PC (Not laptop/notebook) without Serial ports, as indeed these will be able to emulate old style com settings.

Sorry but it looks like your out of luck, unless you can use a PC.

Last edited by jpor; 21 January 2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 21 January 2006, 10:18 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

Jpor

Thanks for your response but I am confused now..... In the part of the FAQ that you posted it specifically say I could add a serial port via a card

quote from FAQ
For adding an RS-232 serial port to a laptop, a serial I/O PC-Card is needed and the PC-Card must have 16550 compatible UART. This kind of PC-Card is available, for example, from Socket Communications, Inc. (www.socketcom.com).

This is the type of card I got ! It says the UART is programmable but I cant seem to change it from 16c950

RobP
Old 22 January 2006, 04:22 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobP
Jpor

Thanks for your response but I am confused now..... In the part of the FAQ that you posted it specifically say I could add a serial port via a card

quote from FAQ

This is the type of card I got ! It says the UART is programmable but I cant seem to change it from 16c950

RobP
From what I can gather it talks about either a ISA or PCI Serial card. And not a PCMCIA card.

What make is the PCMCIA card you have ?
Old 22 January 2006, 06:44 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

The card is an ST labs rs232 serial card. Heres the website

http://www.sunrichtech.com.hk/Cardbus/RS%20232.htm

Thought from the spec it was what I needed.

Robp
Old 22 January 2006, 07:46 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

The card is an ST labs rs232 serial card. Heres the website

http://www.sunrichtech.com.hk/Cardbus/RS%20232.htm

Thought from the spec it was what I needed.

Robp
Okay from the link you provided it quotes this for UART:

Single 16C550 high performance UART channel
UART fully compatible with 16C550 standard

It doesn't mention about the UART being reprogrammed. It could be that it may, but it doesn't mention it. Have you had a look in the manual? You mentioned the one you have is UART 16C950?

Just done a google search and have found this:

http://www.impulse-corp.co.uk/DATCOM...ync_PCMCIA.htm

The top one is UART 16550. And works as a standard Serial on a PC would.
Old 22 January 2006, 08:24 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

The packaging says the uart is reprogramable as did the original advert for it.

I believe the 16c950 is the default uart but the manual doesn't mention how to change it. I think its to do with baud rates etc which i can change in device manager. Will have to wait and see what the tech advice at st labs say.

Thanks anyway

RobP
Old 22 January 2006, 08:54 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

The packaging says the uart is reprogramable as did the original advert for it.

I believe the 16c950 is the default uart but the manual doesn't mention how to change it. I think its to do with baud rates etc which i can change in device manager. Will have to wait and see what the tech advice at st labs say.

Thanks anyway

RobP
The UART is a RS-232 standard. And not the Baud Rate settings, Data, Stop Bits, or handshaking.

Good luck though.
Old 23 January 2006, 10:10 AM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

we use the same type of thing at work, and I have experienced problems occasionally.

Some things work (all with hyperterminal) others dont. Could it be an earthing problem, where a signal ground is not being shared correctly through the usb?

Gareth
Old 10 February 2006, 09:34 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

Finally solved the problem.

got one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEDW%3AIT&rd=1

which unlike the newer pcmia rs232 cards this one still uses the older I/O addresses. They are listed on socketcom website at £90 but the guy on ebay has them available at around £20 plus p&p.

Thanks for all the suggestions though

Rob