Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

LAN problem -

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2006, 09:53 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LAN problem -

I've just bought a brand new computer from an Ebay shop.
I spent last night setting it up and everything seems ok except for the LAN port.
If i use a usb connection for my broadband modem everything is ok, if i try to use the lan then i can't connect to the internet.
I emailed the seller suggesting the lan is faulty and the snotty reply i got was - i can give you a link to the website for the drivers or you can send the computer back (under the 12 months warranty) but i have to pay for transit both ways (£50)
i've sent another email saying i'll get in touch with Paypal who say they offer protection upto £500 and also Ebay to put in a complaint
I've just paid £380 for this tower and don't see why i should have to pay another £50 postage

The seller lists his computers as delivery only - no collections, now i see why

is there anything else i can do?
Old 08 February 2006, 09:55 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I am making the assumption that when you connect to the Internet via USB. Your using a USB MODEM? And when you try via the LAN your using an ADSL router of some sort?
Old 08 February 2006, 09:58 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
I've just bought a brand new computer from an Ebay shop.
I spent last night setting it up and everything seems ok except for the LAN port.
If i use a usb connection for my broadband modem everything is ok, if i try to use the lan then i can't connect to the internet.
I emailed the seller suggesting the lan is faulty and the snotty reply i got was - i can give you a link to the website for the drivers or you can send the computer back (under the 12 months warranty) but i have to pay for transit both ways (£50)
i've sent another email saying i'll get in touch with Paypal who say they offer protection upto £500 and also Ebay to put in a complaint
I've just paid £380 for this tower and don't see why i should have to pay another £50 postage

The seller lists his computers as delivery only - no collections, now i see why

is there anything else i can do?
Report him to paypal they should sort it as it was bought as fully working and not advertised as faulty.
Old 08 February 2006, 10:14 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Yes but you first need to be sure that it is faulty. As already mentioned if you’re plugging your PC into an ADSL router then your new PC will need to be configured to be able to access the router/broadband.

I don't want to insult you or owt but I obviously don’t know how much you know about these things but the first few things you can check are:

1) When the LAN port on the PC in plugged into the router (if that’s what you’re using) you should be able to see a link light on the network card on the back of the PC. This should be on and will blink every now and then.

2) If there is a link light then you can then try pinging the IP address of your router, providing your router is setup and you know its IP.
Old 08 February 2006, 10:40 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

ok just to try and clarify a bit more

The modem is a cable modem (ntl)
the router is a linksys ethernet broadband router

i've connected direct from the cable modem into to back of the PC (so didn't use the router) and i still couldn't connect to the internet, it's as though there's no power/ signal from the lan port?
If i use a usb lead from the modem into the computer then everything is ok

on my previous computer i had the lan lead into the router from the cable modem, a lead from router into the PC and a usb network adapter plugged into laptop which picked up the router signal perfectly
Old 08 February 2006, 10:57 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I can't say I am that familiar with the NTL modems but from the one I have seen when you install the software on the PC it asks how you have connected your PC to the NTL box ie USB or Network Cable. Have you been through that setup?

So the router has been working on your old PC then? and basically all you have done is left that all the same and just replaced your old PC with your new one??? Can you go back to this config?

If that’s the case the Network card on your new PC will need to be configured so it can communicate with the router (you could check the IP address settings on your old PC). You will either need to give you PC a fixed IP address or your router might be set to DHCP which means it will give your PC the relevant IP info automatically.

When you have the router plugged into the PC, or even the NTL cable modem, do you have a link light on the network card on your PC? If you do then that would indicate the card probably isn't dead and probably just isn't configured properly?
Old 08 February 2006, 11:09 PM
andymar00
Scooby Regular

As already said check if you have a link light on modem and/or lan card

if it's on board lan card check it's enabled in BIOS

Don't know if it's still the same but used need to register mac address of lan card with ntl but as said above if the router worked with old computer and has not been changed you should just plug in new PC and check IP and DNS is set to obtain automatic

if it's not working just get a pci card about £5 at Ebuyer

Last edited by andymar00; 08 February 2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:08 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

I am also under the impression that the nic's MAC address of the pc, has to be registered with NTL.

But anyway you can try and see if the lan card works.

IF the LAN card is "onboard", check it is enabled in the bios.
if it is,
go to start>settings>network connections
right click the local area connection, if you see "disable" from the available options, it means the LAN card should be working.

One of them, most probably the router, will have to act as a dhcp server.
ie give out ip addresses to any connected pc's laptops etc.
I am guessing its the linksys, or do you just have it to use for wireless ?

Try this..
connect to say the cable modem first ( using lan port direct to pc)
open a command prompt
type in ipconfig/all (then enter)
you should pick up an ip address, something like this :
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.193.171.29
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.193.168.4
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.193.160.12
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 February 2006 07:35:40
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 11 February 2006 07:35:40

if the response is Media disconnected, then try the linksys router.

I am assuming your network cable is NOT a crossover cable.

let us know how you get on.
Old 09 February 2006, 10:48 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

I agree with the above, the mac address will have to be registed with NTL, as this is their protection. NTL will be looking for your previous network card mac address.
Old 09 February 2006, 07:49 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

I'm not on NTL now, but this is what it/use to do.

Only the mac address of the cable modem is registered with NTL. NTL only allows 1 ip to be assigned per cable modem. (Unless you have xbox live service)

When you use the usb connection, this will get an ip from NTL. This has a lease time on it. When you connect via ethernet, it will not assign an ip as the other is still active.

2 solutions I remember. Connect back via usb, perform a "ipconfig /release", (you might need the connection name after this command). Once successful, swap the connection to ethernet and do a "ipconfig /renew" (again may need the lan name).

Or just leave it plugged into the ethernet and wait a day or so for the other ip lease to expire.
Old 09 February 2006, 07:50 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Oops just re read it. Looks like you may have a broken nic. Just go and buy one, less hassle and they can be had for a few pounds
Old 09 February 2006, 08:28 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

unplug the cable modem from the power for 10 mins and the reconnect - if I remember rightly the modem registers the mac addresses and now it has a different one

if fact I am right called power cycling and required when change the device connected to the cable modem

see here
http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/ath..._add_serv.html

yes I now it is for a xbox but the same principle applies

"First, make sure that your Xbox is connected directly to your modem. Next, power your modem down for 2-3 minutes, and then power it back up again. This power cycling of the modem is sometimes necessary when changing from one device to another (in this case, changing from your PC and connecting your Xbox)."
Old 09 February 2006, 08:54 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

WHAYYY - tried again tonight and the connections working?

i've now plugged in the router and managed to get this connected as well - maybe it was nthell playing up yesterday?

thanks all for your help - probably lots more help needed soon though

p.s - how can i add shortcuts to the taskbar (internet/ outlook express) - i had them on the last computer

Cheers
Old 09 February 2006, 10:06 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

perhaps an apology to the ebay seller might not be amiss
Old 10 February 2006, 08:59 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DemonDave
perhaps an apology to the ebay seller might not be amiss