Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Racing Games, best now and whats next ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2005, 12:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Racing Games, best now and whats next ?

I reckon Forza on the Xbox is the current best racing game, I know the 360 will have Gotham 3 and that should be good, I liked Gotham 2 but found it a bit aracdey which is fair enough but what do we want out of the next generation of games ?

Better AI (especially on XBOX Live......)

Better damage modelling, I know the manufacturers can be a bit sensitive about this but how about fully deformable cars where all parts can be damaged that can be crashed into something at low speed get a scratch or two but hitting a tree at a ton produces carnage. Possibly a simplified version of the modelling that the manufacturers do. I reckon the next gen consoles will have enough spare capacity to carry this off.

Street racing, like Midtown Madness but good, where all the cars are as complex as your car. i.e. not cardboard cut out style things that just move in a predetermined path, fully modelled city with persistent carnage, i.e. you render unother car imobile, it stays there smoking, you know a fence over and it stays there and doesnt sink into the tarmac.

Decent tyre smoke, you do a burn out/doughnut or drift for 30 seconds and it should look like an Ultravox video.

A developer sanctioned route for mods (cars, tracks), i.e. the user community should be able to create and submit mods to the developer, these in turn should be a free download, keeping the developer involved would prevent stupidity and ensure quality.

Less reliance on 1500 different versions of the Skyline and Impreza, more old classics, more mundane cars, mad stuff like 2cv racing, Banger racing, racing with caravans, Buses, anything the users can think up.

I think it would be good (and avoid licenseing) if the user community could provide versions of classic films, i.e. a rendered San Francisco, a green Mustang and a black Dodge charger and you have Bullitt.

Sometimes in games you want to race, other times you just want to drive about and **** about, take in the scenery or do stuff you couldnt normally do, this should be catered for, imagine the stress releif benefits of having a crowded M6, a Hummer H1 and no consequences. Inner london on an R1 ?
Old 27 November 2005, 01:41 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If and when Independent Physics Processors take off (there's been rumours for a few years now) I reckon most of what you mention above will become mainstream.....
Old 28 November 2005, 08:59 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Never really got into Forza, played for a few hours but then got bored of it.

Still playing Gotham 2 though and thats from a staunch simulation gamer

The next driving games need to come up with something new. Cant decide what, maybe more road racing, similar to any car meets you go on.

Last edited by Dream Weaver; 28 November 2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 28 November 2005, 09:17 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

GT Legends, great fun driving the older cars. As it's a sim it's not for consoles though.
Old 28 November 2005, 10:37 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Butthe graphics/physics for it are turd. Tried it last week, and really wanted it to be good but the cars looked like they were skimming the track surface.
Old 28 November 2005, 10:57 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Sorry but I have to disagree, I think the physics are spot on and there are some great gfx touches. I agree that the lack of car shadows does make the cars look like they are skimming the track which is a let down but nothing is perfect

Online this game provides some of the best multiplayer racing I've done. Just need the promised patch to fix some of the obvious bugs and to up the online player limit from 16
Old 28 November 2005, 03:03 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Question

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Butthe graphics/physics for it are turd. Tried it last week, and really wanted it to be good but the cars looked like they were skimming the track surface.
A few questions DW. Did you turn off all the numerous driving aids? And were you using a decent FF wheel, such as a Momo Force? You need to turn up the FF to max and then strangely you need to tick 'reverse forces' for the FFB to work as intended. GTR is the same in this respect.

Did you crank up the GFX i.e 1280X1024, 4XAA, 8XAF, and are you using a DX9 card as the game does look pants with DX7 cards. Make sure you select the DX9 shaders.

I love the fact that it supports TrackIR. If you dont know what TrackIR is look it up, it's a great piece of kit. Just dont let anyone see you using it

I'd say every review I've read disagrees with you, especially regarding the physics which are second to none, but then each to their own

Old 28 November 2005, 03:14 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

And just to keep me happy the patch has come out today

http://www.gt-legends.de/support_en.php
Old 28 November 2005, 03:50 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GTR is the daddy imo.

For pure fun, arcade and wow factor nfsmw is up there to.
Old 28 November 2005, 05:51 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kernel

woo hoo , never expected to hear about it here first tho'.........> off to RSC <..........
Old 28 November 2005, 05:54 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kernel

Thanks for that link, noticed some driving guides/tips. Ill have to give them a read.

EDIT> 32 players online too

Last edited by LEUVEN; 28 November 2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 28 November 2005, 07:20 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEUVEN
Thanks for that link, noticed some driving guides/tips. Ill have to give them a read.

EDIT> 32 players online too
You should read that other forum properly Mention of the guides was posted before the game came out over here. Plus you don't need any help you alien you
Old 28 November 2005, 07:31 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Lol, Gotta keep one step ahead.
Old 29 November 2005, 07:25 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I just dont do PC racing games I think, cant be arsed with all the patches and crap, and dont want to fork out on a steering wheel for the PC as well as Xbox/PS2 (why cant they do one for all three formats?).

I take it back about the physics in GTL, they were pretty good actually, I just couldnt get over the floating cars and bare tracks.
Old 29 November 2005, 10:27 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

I just dont do PC racing games
lol

It took me all of 10 minutes to set-up GTL and the wheel, and 5 to patch it. I always feel you get out what you put in to games these days, especially if you want a realistic sim.
Old 29 November 2005, 11:14 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

They just never seem to work for me. Example: Last night I installed the Toca Race Driver 3 demo. It wouldnt work until I installed Direct X 9c, so I did that and fired it up. It then took ages, nearly crashed my PC and when I threated to CTRL-Alt-Del it it finally started and went through a load of sound and refresh rate checks.

The demo finally started, I went for a race and it froze on the loading screen - I could hear the engine and cars racing but could only see the loading screen

I perfer to put a CD in the Xbox, sit in my confy sofa with the fire on, and play the bloody game
Old 29 November 2005, 02:33 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DreamWeaver, PICNIC, Problem In Chair Not In Computer
Old 29 November 2005, 02:52 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
They just never seem to work for me. Example: Last night I installed the Toca Race Driver 3 demo. It wouldnt work until I installed Direct X 9c, so I did that and fired it up. It then took ages, nearly crashed my PC and when I threated to CTRL-Alt-Del it it finally started and went through a load of sound and refresh rate checks.

The demo finally started, I went for a race and it froze on the loading screen - I could hear the engine and cars racing but could only see the loading screen

I perfer to put a CD in the Xbox, sit in my confy sofa with the fire on, and play the bloody game
Sounds like you have an old(er) PC m8. DX9c if required should install just after the game, no real hassle surely. I feel for you though as I've just spent over £700 upgrading my PC, just to get the best out of the current crop of PC games. Mad or Sad? Most likely both, but I genuiely believe in the community surrounding the few good PC games I've been playing regularly for years now i.e. BF(series), IL2, GTR and the associated mods available for them.

Consoles have just become to much of a marketing mans wet dream for me these days, I mean Xbox live, what a load of money making cack. Why do you even need it? And I was never that impressed by the 'top titles', Gotham, Halo or GT3 etc etc etc. I do get enjoyment out of the original Burnout though, but only to be played with the m8's in the living room while totally gassed

Read this article, it shows how things are turning to **** games wise for consoles. Me, I'll stick to PC titles that have the support of decent modders and a thriving online community

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27976

Toca's rubbish anyway btw
Old 29 November 2005, 03:15 PM
chump
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _RIP_

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27976

Toca's rubbish anyway btw
An interesting read that and actually makes a whole load of sense
Old 30 November 2005, 09:27 PM
_RIP_