Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless Router!

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2005, 06:41 AM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless Router!

Im putting in a wireless router in at home, I have a wireless Netgear router with wired network capabilitys and a netgear pci wireless card on its way to me on Wednesday. However im a bit unsure how to set it up. All I want it to do is sit in the corner of my living room so I dont have a wire trailing along the living room floor.

Lastnight I thought I would try out the router with my psp. Whilst it recognised the router with a 100% signal when I tryed to use the web browser it came up wih a DNS error.

I had no security set up as it was just to try it out.

Im wondering have I purchesed the right kit?

Do I need to attach the Wireless router to the computer or is it a case of putting the PCI wirelss card in to the compuer and letting it 'talk' to the router?

How easy is it to set up the security?

Sorry for all the questions nbut im very new to this wireless stuff.

Scott
Old 15 November 2005, 08:09 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Net gear should be fairly straight forward.

PCI Wireless card goes in computer.

Router (assuming it's a combined Modem/router) goes somewhere near your telelphone point Ideally..

You need to go to your browser (there is one on the PSP, yes?) and type in the address of the router - normally 192.168.0.1

Enter youe ISP details (username, password and possibly DNS details - although these should be assigned by your ISP automatically)

There should also be a security sectoin - set as appropriate

HTH
Old 15 November 2005, 08:55 AM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl
Net gear should be fairly straight forward.

PCI Wireless card goes in computer.

Router (assuming it's a combined Modem/router) goes somewhere near your telelphone point Ideally..

You need to go to your browser (there is one on the PSP, yes?) and type in the address of the router - normally 192.168.0.1

Enter youe ISP details (username, password and possibly DNS details - although these should be assigned by your ISP automatically)

There should also be a security sectoin - set as appropriate

HTH
I will try this, Thanks!
Old 21 November 2005, 12:39 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Using the PSP with the Netgear router works fine even with WEP which others found problems with. Only thing I found was that it wouldnt access some pages - for example BBC websites didnt work but Google was fine. No reason why I could see.