Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac guys - question about Xserve

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2005, 09:53 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac guys - question about Xserve

Looking into an XServe for my Soudn Engineering section.
Only really have access to a PC-based server system at the moment (email client and network drives - pretty simple access).

So, I've never really had to get into servers.

Presumably, with an XServe, I'll still need local machines (hypothetically Mac Minis?) to access everything off the server........

I'm looking at running all my audio/midi software from the server, and having 20+ Mac minis using their front end, for want of a better word....

I *think* what I'm getting at is a centralised software base for access via local machines......

Is this possible?

Excuse my simplistic manner of description!!!

Dan
Old 18 November 2005, 11:49 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, it uses the same protocols as anything else, so you can use it for exporting NFS, hanging a NAS off the back, centralised services such as email, web, , database, etc, the usual stuff. It comes with extra software for managing server-like services, although as a purist I question GUIs on servers, but that's just me

Apple have info on OS X Server.
Old 19 November 2005, 08:56 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

I dont think you can do what you are want to as you are after setting up a thin client network.

The server S/W would have to allow it and while i work for Apple i havent used an XServe or Mac OS Sever.

You know that if you contact Apple with all the info about what you want to do they will tell you what you need etc for free so go and give them a call or go into an Apple store
Old 19 November 2005, 09:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sounds as though you want the "server" to store the applications on. Then you connect each of the clients to the server, and run the app from the server, the idea being that you now have a cluster of computers running the same app, thus increasing processing power. Same sort of idea as with a render farm for rendering GFX.

If this is what you want then you probably want to look at Apple's Xgrid, which is part of the Xserver side of things, it lets you bild a distributed computing architecture.

Have a look here

Without that, I don't think you'll be able to do what you want, with it, you probably can.
Old 19 November 2005, 09:33 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

A combination of Xgrid, xServe and OSX Server with roaming home directories will do what you need.

If you wanted to have your local machines store their data locally you could do that also, one way to do it, whilst maintaining server control would be to set up the Mac mini accounts as "Mobile accounts" in OSX Server.
Old 21 November 2005, 01:59 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

ScoobyDoo555 drop me a mail at allan.bayman@macwarehouse.co.uk if you want more help or to chat about what you are trying to acheive.

AllanB
MacWarehouse