Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anti-virus software - definition updates

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2005, 01:35 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anti-virus software - definition updates

Hi,

I'm running Norton System Works 2002, which includes anti-virus, and I still get regular virus definition updates.
However, I was looking to upgrade or change product recently, and I noticed that most major packages only give you one year of updates.

What's the deal with this, as I don't understand why I still get updates?

Is it worth upgrading my software or will Norton 2002 be doing as good a job?

I also run various anti-spyware products and Zonealarm firewall.
Cheers.
Old 25 October 2005, 02:36 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

it may be a year from when you installed it, has it been on your machine for over that?

1 year worth of updates is standard to try to make you get the newer version every year instead of keeping the old one. There may be an upgrade option for less money provided you can proove you bought the old one
Old 25 October 2005, 03:30 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
it may be a year from when you installed it, has it been on your machine for over that?

1 year worth of updates is standard to try to make you get the newer version every year instead of keeping the old one. There may be an upgrade option for less money provided you can proove you bought the old one
Only one year....that's expensive!

I only installed it last March, so haven't had it running for a full year yet. I guess if I re-install it, I'll get another year. I'm in the process of re-building my PC anyway (have re-installed XP), so I might just do that.

I'm using Zonealarm Security Suite 6 as a trial right now, but I'm not keen on it. The Spyware scanner misses a lot of stuff which Adaware picks up.
I think I'll go back to the standard free Zonealarm firewall and re-install Norton.

Thanks.
Old 25 October 2005, 05:47 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I am sure that there will be many people to back me up on this one.......Norton is not very good

Firstly, it can cause a lot of problems with other problems on your machine, and sometimes your hardware drivers. I've had a number of issues with Norton on my own and other people's machine because of this.

Secondly, its the most popular virus scanner in the world. If you are going to bother to make a virus, you are going to make one that it cannot find!!

Thirdly, its not free, and is not as good as the free ones AVG Free Edition from Grisoft is totally free, more accurate, more compatible and update daily

Available from here:
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
Old 25 October 2005, 06:27 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestion.

I saw that AVG has been recommended a number of times on Scoobynet, but then a lot of people have also said that free virus scanners don't tend to be as good as paid for ones.

Before I started re-building my PC, I'd never had any problems with Norton, i.e. driver issues, and it hasn't caused any performance problems, as far as I know. Adaware Adwatch certainly did though!!

Norton did let a few 'exploits' through and didn't properly clean them up, but I suppose that might be the way that all virus scanners work - I suppose!
At least it alerted me.

From what I've read on this forum, there's no answer to the 'which anti-virus application is best' question, because different people have different experiences - a bit like the old Apple vs PC debate...

I'd like to see some proper reviews of AVG in comparison with the big virus scanners, before I committed to using it.
Old 25 October 2005, 06:40 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I totally understand what you are saying.

Paid for stuff should be better than free stuff. Then again, people have been known to sell cheap tat

AVG is better than Norton 2002, miles better. AVG even gives most current paid for virus scanners a run for their money. Do some searching on the web to check it out if you want.

If you are prepared to pay for an AV scanner, then you can better AVG. Just spend your money on something other than Norton
Old 25 October 2005, 08:33 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

AVG, Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware SE should be all you need, and they're all free. Oh, and Zone Alarm if you need a software firewall - free as well.
Norton is a system-hogging bitch, and misses loads of virii which AVG spots straight away.
Old 26 October 2005, 12:06 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Norton is resource hungry and a load of pants. Take at look at installing Nod 32, very little resource usage and i've never once had an issue with spyware in the 18months its been running (and i go on some dodgy **** sites )

Old 26 October 2005, 08:19 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I think norton has improved over the years, but yes there can be problems with it (sorry should have said that in my reply). I have heard of certain hardware specs it just WONT work with. Ill have to try that Nod32 myself, ill be honest and say i hadnt heard of it until a couple of days ago on this site when people were biggin it up
Old 26 October 2005, 08:56 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

1) I have Norton, just bought with new PC. Can I run AVG as well? I have a feeling that one shouldn't use two systems. If I downhload AVG should I just disable Norton?

2) I heard that the new Norton, out in a couple of weeks, is a vast improvement - anyone comment?

david
Old 26 October 2005, 11:09 AM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
1) I have Norton, just bought with new PC. Can I run AVG as well? I have a feeling that one shouldn't use two systems. If I downhload AVG should I just disable Norton?

2) I heard that the new Norton, out in a couple of weeks, is a vast improvement - anyone comment?

david
Its not a good idea running two antivirus products at the same time could cause conflicts plus trying to keep both Defs up to date

You could get a AV scanner that only runs when you demand it called on-demand scanner but you will have to disable the On-Access Scanner first

There are different types of on-demand too DOS and Windows these can be put on CD

Symantec is a pain to remove and also a nightmare if you disable and try and install another AV product well it was a while ago

Make sure you have Heuristics running on your AV too and also PUP's (Potentially unwanted programs)

Last edited by Nicks VR4; 26 October 2005 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 26 October 2005, 11:44 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thank you.
Old 26 October 2005, 03:14 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I learned the hard way I was having some PC problems that I thought could be virus related so with all the good reviews of AVG I thought that I would give it a try. AVG definitely conflicts with Norton (or at least it did with XP SP2 and the latest patches around June this year). I ended up having to uninstall it and go back to a previous restore point to get back up and running (and replace the faulty memory which was the cause in the first place).
Old 26 October 2005, 04:01 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I've just upgraded to NAV 2005 from 2004 and not had any problems , it also finds spyware all the others miss , including Spybot , Microsoft Anti spyware.
I seem to get LOP.com a lot and Norton Anti virus is the only one that ever finds it !
Old 26 October 2005, 10:21 PM
badcompany
Scooby Regular

my norton 2003 updates to 2040