Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

File Formats?????

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2005, 08:49 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy File Formats?????

I have a program on my computer that is of a file format i dont understand. I need to get the program of my computer so i can transfer it to another. The file doesnt have a specific program icon above it. EG normally if my default player was windows media player and the file was music. The picture above the file name would be of windows media player. This doesnt have that. When you click them it says What do you want to do?

1)Use the web service to find the appropriate program
2)Select the program from the list
etc. I want to use nero and write dvd file. But it says there are no dvd files there it can use.

The file name below the program icon is lotd-dev.r01 then r02 ro3 etc other info imdb.nfo if that means anything. Do i need some sort of convertor??

can anyone help. The files are of my wedding and the original disc is lost!!

Thanks Ronnie
Old 16 October 2005, 08:56 PM
forseti
Scooby Newbie

those files are archived files and you should find they are the same size each and will increase the number for each file .r01 , .r02, etc... You need a program like Winrar to extract them to get the original files back. (which can be pretty much anything). I would extract them to their original picture format with Winrar and then use nero to burn the folder straight to dvd and hey presto, you are done.
Old 16 October 2005, 09:00 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

you are right they are the same size files. Im no expert but i need to get these back to dvd format so nero will write them. I have a Fil Zip in the folder that the files are in. what do i do with them??

Do i extract all of them if so how do i do it? please explain as if i havent got a clue so it makes it easier for me. Many thanks for your help,
Ronnie

Last edited by RonniebiggsIsBack; 16 October 2005 at 09:02 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 16 October 2005, 09:07 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

You need winrar to extract them. Basically install winrar. Then find the lowest number file I.e .r01 then right click it and then choose extract. Failing that right click and open with winrar, you should then see winrar list whats in the files. Then choose extract. Hey Presto! winrar will go through each file in turn extrat the contents and putting them together for you.
Old 16 October 2005, 09:13 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

I select all files in the folder then extract. Give me 5 mins and i will reply with the result thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Ronnie
Old 16 October 2005, 09:17 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RonniebiggsIsBack
I select all files in the folder then extract. Give me 5 mins and i will reply with the result thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Ronnie
You just need to find the lowest number. Choose that as the rest of them automatically should get extrated by winrar for you as they are connected together by number order. E.g You right click .r01. If you have .r2,.r3,.r4 etc.. then these too get extracted for you. So you don't have to do each one seperately.

Last edited by jpor; 16 October 2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 16 October 2005, 09:21 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

Done it but all that happened is the icon that wasnt there before now shows the WINRAR icon. and when u click the file it comes up to extract again. But the file appears as it did before. As if it will convert back!!

Any suggestions?
Old 16 October 2005, 09:24 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

It only did half of them as well. File size 7.78gb ??
thats big!!
Done it but all that happened is the icon that wasnt there before now shows the WINRAR icon. and when u click the file it comes up to extract again. But the file appears as it did before. As if it will convert back!!

Any suggestions?
Old 16 October 2005, 09:26 PM
forseti
Scooby Newbie

ronnie, sounds like you are on the right path. With any recent version of Winrar you only need to find the .r01 file and double click that. It will then come up with the extraction window, click extract to and just click ok, don't worry about folder locations at this stage... Then winrar will go through and extract all those little files in order into whatever size and format they were before. This may take a little while depending how big and how numerous these files are.

Then in the same directory as before look for a brand new created directory which funny enough is created with the same name as you archive file. Then under that should be the files and/or folders as before the archive. Then you should be ok to burn...
Old 16 October 2005, 09:27 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

It only did half of them as well. File size 7.78gb ??
thats big!!
Not really as Dual-DVD discs hold up to 8GB. What is the name of the new icon created?
Old 16 October 2005, 09:31 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

esb-kof.dvdr thats all the files say but they have the winrara sign above it now. When u select the first file it does them all you are right im trying to see what happens if i extract again. It will prob turn back to original. Still hasnt put them to a dvd recognisable file for nero.
Originally Posted by jpor
Not really as Dual-DVD discs hold up to 8GB. What is the name of the new icon created?
Old 16 October 2005, 09:37 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

When u click the new winrar icon above esb-kof.dvdr file name nothing changes. it seems to extract but no change!!

Still only half of the files are in this new format and half in the original state as described in original thread.

Its so confusing!

Ronnie
Old 16 October 2005, 09:38 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

but they have the winrara sign above it now.
Thats because when you installed winrar, all associated zipped files are now associated with winrar.

Have you tried renaming the file by right clicking the file and choosing 'Rename' from a .dvdr to a .iso ? Then trying nero. Beware that if you don't have Dual-layered discs then 7.78GB will not fit on a normal 4.7GB DVD-R or DVD-RW disc.
Old 16 October 2005, 09:40 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

Tryed renaming as iso didnt change. Nero didnt like it!

Thats because when you installed winrar, all associated zipped files are now associated with winrar.

Have you tried renaming the file by right clicking the file and choosing 'Rename' from a .dvdr to a .iso ? Then trying nero. Beware that if you don't have Dual-layered discs then 7.78GB will not fit on a normal 4.7GB DVD-R or DVD-RW disc.
Old 16 October 2005, 09:43 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

When u click the new winrar icon above esb-kof.dvdr file name nothing changes. it seems to extract but no change!!

Still only half of the files are in this new format and half in the original state as described in original thread.

Its so confusing!

Ronnie
Right. Winrar 101. When you extrat the files, the original files named .r1 etc.. will not be removed. You are in fact only extrating the file(s) from the .r1 etc.. files and then this gets created by winrar which then puts this onto your computer. So then you have 2 copies one compressed into .r1 etc.. and the the uncompressed file .dvdr). If that makes sense?
Old 16 October 2005, 09:46 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Tryed renaming as iso didnt change. Nero didnt like it!
Okay rename it back to .dvdr. Then try opening it with winrar (Right click then choose OPen With). Hopefully there should be a folder inside that is either 'video_ts' or flename.iso.
Old 16 October 2005, 09:47 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

Yes, But the files are still not DVD files? they are just in the winrar format
Right. Winrar 101. When you extrat the files, the original files named .r1 etc.. will not be removed. You are in fact only extrating the file(s) from the .r1 etc.. files and then this gets created by winrar which then puts this onto your computer. So then you have 2 copies one compressed into .r1 etc.. and the the uncompressed file .dvdr). If that makes sense?
Old 16 October 2005, 09:50 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

Wish it did say video TS thats what i want. Instead it has the original file name in eg esb-kof.dvdr.img
Okay rename it back to .dvdr. Then try opening it with winrar (Right click then choose OPen With). Hopefully there should be a folder inside that is either 'video_ts' or flename.iso.
Old 16 October 2005, 09:53 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Wish it did say video TS thats what i want. Instead it has the original file name in eg esb-kof.dvdr.img
Ahhh!!! .img This cannot be opened by nero, you need another type of DVD burning software. Is that the original file or what winrar now shows up whats in the esb-kof.dvdr file? If the former then I'm afraid you will need to also extract again. This means another 7.78GB of your hard drive will be used up.

Last edited by jpor; 16 October 2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 16 October 2005, 09:55 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

Not sure. The file now says img at end. but before it said esb....dvdr
Old 16 October 2005, 09:57 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Not sure. The file now says img at end. but before it said esb....dvdr
Okay try renaming the .img to .iso and lets see if nero likes that.
Old 16 October 2005, 10:09 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

Tryed on another dvd i need and it joined all the files so its all there under 1 file. But came up IMG on the end. I renamed it .iso but when i opened it in nero it said.iso.img and woundnt work
Okay try renaming the .img to .iso and lets see if nero likes that.
Old 16 October 2005, 10:13 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Tryed on another dvd i need and it joined all the files so its all there under 1 file. But came up IMG on the end. I renamed it .iso but when i opened it in nero it said.iso.img and woundnt work
You need to re-check the file and make sure your renaming it so that the last .img is .iso as this is the extention that the nero program identifies with. So in the end the file looks like this: esb-kof.dvdr.iso
Old 16 October 2005, 10:15 PM
RonniebiggsIsBack
Scooby Newbie

Think I have sorted it. I have found a file that has all the files in Eg video ts and im extracting them So thanks very much for all your help

Ronnie
You need to re-check the file and make sure your renaming it so that the last .img is .iso as this is the extention that the nero program identifies with. So in the end the file looks like this: esb-kof.dvdr.iso
Old 16 October 2005, 10:17 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Cool. No Problem.