Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Applemac G3 - what are they good for?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2005, 09:35 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit long in the tooth now these days to be honest. Blue and white and not a beige one I hope. The B&W are still OK but pretty slow now and the beige are errr. not much cop.

Not bad for running a scanner or something where its not being used that much. If you don't want it let me know as I've got one with an iffy graphics card or logic bopard not too sure yet.

AllanB
Old 10 October 2005, 09:52 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Beige G3s were 233 or 266mhz IIRC.
It wont really be much use with OSX - 9.2.1 would be fine but then what will you do with it? Excel/Word/Photoshop will be OK. You'll be stuck with IE5.2 or less which utterly and completely sucks big time. Netscape is you're only other option which is pretty poor.
It will happily run Filemaker if you want a database.

I suspect it will run OSX Panther maybe... I am typing this on a 333mhz g3 laptop with 320mb and 10.3.9 and it is bearable.

You can get processor upgrades for them but with the price of Mac Minis being £350 ish it's hardly much point.

When you work out what to do with it, let me know, I have a 2 beige G3s, a B&W G3 and an early G4 I don't know what to do with but can't bring myself to chuck em...
Old 10 October 2005, 09:56 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Smile Yellow Dog Linux !

G3 + HD

All depends on what you had in mind for it but you could try YDL which will provide all manner of Linux services - DHCP, DNS, Proxy, File and Print, Firewall etc...

But if it is going to cost more than £100 put your money into a Mini Mac !

rich

Originally Posted by AllanB
Bit long in the tooth now these days to be honest. Blue and white and not a beige one I hope. The B&W are still OK but pretty slow now and the beige are errr. not much cop.

Not bad for running a scanner or something where its not being used that much. If you don't want it let me know as I've got one with an iffy graphics card or logic bopard not too sure yet.

AllanB
Old 11 October 2005, 12:33 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Smile YDL rocks !

Sure is ! and if it's good enough for the US Navy sub's it should be OK !

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/08...vy_buys_linux/

A G3 with lots of RAM and left up 24/7 should be a useful little box for all manner of tasks

Anyway for downloads try these for size . . .

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/re...ownloads.shtml

But check your hardware is OK here

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/su...are/breakdown/

Originally Posted by **************
Like the Linux idea - is it downloadable?
Old 11 October 2005, 12:40 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Smile

Is your early G4 a 400Mhz model ? In which case go for YDL too . . .

SlimServer makes a nice little addtion to the home network so install Tiger with iPhoto and iTunes/SlimServer as a home media server platform.

Turn on the Fax in system preferences and redirect all incoming Faxes to your own email account !

Or just fill with 160Gb HD's and use it as a backup/FTP box - v. useful if like me you need something to dump and grab large files from.

Just load up the RAM from eBay and leave on 24/7

rich

Originally Posted by RichB
Beige G3s were 233 or 266mhz IIRC.
It wont really be much use with OSX - 9.2.1 would be fine but then what will you do with it? Excel/Word/Photoshop will be OK. You'll be stuck with IE5.2 or less which utterly and completely sucks big time. Netscape is you're only other option which is pretty poor.
It will happily run Filemaker if you want a database.

I suspect it will run OSX Panther maybe... I am typing this on a 333mhz g3 laptop with 320mb and 10.3.9 and it is bearable.

You can get processor upgrades for them but with the price of Mac Minis being £350 ish it's hardly much point.

When you work out what to do with it, let me know, I have a 2 beige G3s, a B&W G3 and an early G4 I don't know what to do with but can't bring myself to chuck em...
Old 11 October 2005, 08:42 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I just got hold of a job lot of imac G3s 266-500 range which have got panther on, Im knocking em out at £80-£100 if anyone wants one (varying processors, RAM and HDD)

Ones I have checked so far run panther ok.