Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Displaying PC on my TV

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2005, 08:53 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Displaying PC on my TV

I want to put the display from the PC on to my TV and not the monitor.

The TV does not have SVHS so was thinking of a card that does video out from the PC? Anyone done this?

Also was wanting a wireless keyboard and mouse. Any ideas - Bluetooth, infra red etc?
Old 05 October 2005, 09:02 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

How good is your telly? It can be done, but I found the quality is simply cr@p unless you have a decent LCD/Plasma. Depends if you just want to watch movies or use it for surfing the net/applicaions.
Old 05 October 2005, 09:33 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a simular thought, got a video out on my graphics card so gave it a go, as Ozzy says, quality is **** unless you have a lcd/plasma, which i dont!

is usable for media player etc but thats about it...

would recomend the microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse, not the cheapest but nice quality, reliable and batterys last f00king ages!
Old 05 October 2005, 01:05 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I use the TV-Out on mine on odd occasions for watching something I've downloaded I've got a 32" conventional type Sony TV, as mentioned the quality isn't great but is fine for video. I suspect it may be possible to improve thing by setting the resoultion up correctly and so on. I did have grand plans at one time to use my PC as a media centre, using the Video Input (ATI All-in-Wonder jobbie) to record stuff onto the harddisk, pause live TV, etc. Have yet to get around to cabling it all up and so on

IIRC my vid card has SVideo and composite outputs. S-Video will give better quality. Some TVs can handle S-Video via SCART, you need an S-Vid to SCART lead. Composite can also be fed up a SCART lead.
Old 05 October 2005, 04:16 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

It would be for mainly browsing the net from the sofa as well as playing online poker but thats about it. Maybe a movie that I have on the PC as well. Not into the games really so hi res is not a major issue.

With regards to the wireless keybaord and mouse, what distance do they operate over? I need it to be about 2 or 3 metres.
Old 05 October 2005, 04:58 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nezz10
Thanks for the replies guys.

It would be for mainly browsing the net from the sofa as well as playing online poker but thats about it. Maybe a movie that I have on the PC as well. Not into the games really so hi res is not a major issue.

With regards to the wireless keybaord and mouse, what distance do they operate over? I need it to be about 2 or 3 metres.
I have a Logitech wireless keyboard / mouse and it's useless. Only works with a few feet of the basestation. My brother has a Microsoft Bluetooth job and that works from quite a distance. Saw this recently http://www.quietpc.com/uk/htpc.php#gkam no idea if it's any good though.
Old 05 October 2005, 05:00 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

On my Sony 29" I could hardly read the text unless I was right up close. Nothing wrong with my eyesight, its just that TV CRT's have cr@p quality with pixels too far apart.
Old 05 October 2005, 05:01 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

nto too keen on the Bluetooth ones, if they are not encrypted then you are bascially broadcasting out to all with a reciever what you are typing. My brother had this happen at his last place of work. Mice where moving on their own and letters would appear sometimes. Turned out it was from a similar system 15 metres away and thru 3 walls!!

I have seen some on fleabay at a good price http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1