Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Creating 1000's of accounts in Active Directory

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 08:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating 1000's of accounts in Active Directory

So, I have a nice AD server, I want to create thousands of accounts, very quickly, for testing purposes.

What solutions are open to me?
Old 28 September 2005, 09:33 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

I used a tool for this once but for the life of me I cant remember what it was called or where I found it. I have a nagging itch that says it comes from a win2k resource kit or support tool but I am not sure.

I did find this link that might help.

http://www.petri.co.il/create_users_...g_purposes.htm
Old 28 September 2005, 09:38 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

You can use a batch file I think

net user /add

etc.....

There should be info out there if googled for. Thats how I started it.

I then expanded on it, and there IS a tool in the Win2k resource kit to help you with it (for creating many shares as well as just accounts)

I've now progessed to a combination of Kix and Commands to create an easy way to add hundres of users. It needed a forced delay in between each users so it takes about 20 minutes to create arbout 250/300 individual users with individual share - taken from a text file of usernames.

Doing it manually would take about 10 days!
Old 28 September 2005, 11:08 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Google for CSVDE. Can import via csv file.
Old 29 September 2005, 11:47 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used CSVDE to import contacts (6000) into our AD. Works very well, although setting up the CSV file can be a pain.

I use Excel to format the file and save it as CSV before the import.

Stefan
Old 29 September 2005, 01:58 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

xcacls mate - do a little hunt on that.....
Old 29 September 2005, 08:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.
Old 29 September 2005, 08:32 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Huh guys? Poor bugger wants to create a couple thousand users for testing AD which kind of makes me think he is at the beginning of his learning path and your going to send him to an early grave with that advice
Old 29 September 2005, 08:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My other thread is slightly more specific as to why I need thousands of accounts, or more specifically, accounts whose SID are within a specific range, and the only way, so far, I know of getting an SID in that range is to create 30,000 odd accounts, which would take a while with any of the methods.

I'll admit I don't have too much knowledge about AD, but I'm learning, plus I don't need to use it in a real world environment, it's mainly for testing purposes.
Old 29 September 2005, 08:52 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Ah, should have read further

Sound like an interesting problem you have there. What makes you think its something to do with the SID?
Old 29 September 2005, 09:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The problem isn't a problem anymore, well, hopefully however, I need to a) reproduce the problem (hence needing to create the accounts, or set the SID) and b) verify that it is still fixed.

As for the problem itself. Here goes:

User logs into a Mac, it is authenticating against AD using AFP (Apple Filing Protocol), there is an option in the authentication setup to say "use uid supplied by server".
An account is created in Netinfo with the users name and more importantly the uid that's been obtained from the server. the uid seems to be the last part of the SID, which makes sense as that is one of the unique parts of the SID.

So where's the problem? Well, the uid was turning out to be a large value, eg; 4,294,959,427. The OS, it transpires, seriously does not like ID's of that value (you can't create or change a uid to that value). This was causing all kinds of odd problems, CD's weren't mounting, some apps could not be opened. Things basically relating to permissions and ownership issues, which usually work on the uid.

After a lot of head scratching and testing we found that user's whose sid ended with 32768 or higher encountered the problems, users with a sid that ended with 32767 or lower did not have an issue (I think the actual issue was to do with 16-bit vs 32-bit numbers).

a user with 32767 would get a uid of, well, 32767, which is fine, that's well witin the range the OS likes.

We created a workaround to resolve this issue quite some time ago and it's rolled into our latest version.

Now, I have one client having odd issues, and they have very long uid's being reported on the macintosh, this leads me to think that it's possibly a re-ocurrance of this issue.
To test this I need either 33,000 user accounts, or to be able to create, at minimum 3 accounts with specfic sid's or, which would be better, around 50 accounts, below and above the problematic value.
Old 30 September 2005, 10:27 AM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

Just to let you know for future use, Windows Scripting can do this in about 10 lines of code
Old 30 September 2005, 12:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryScoobNCBR
Just to let you know for future use, Windows Scripting can do this in about 10 lines of code
Don't suppose you have an example script to do this, plus an explanation of how to run the script
Old 30 September 2005, 04:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

OK, if anyone can tell me how to change SID's or create a set of accounts with specific SIDs, I'd really appreciate it.

Looking at what I've got, I need to get an account with an SID of 212414492! I think that'd take a little while to generate