Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New case problems

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2005, 08:05 AM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New case problems

I bought a new case yesterday, an arctic cooling silentium T1 which looks lovely but im having some problems getting it running.

Initially I took the motherboard out of my old case, fitted it to the new case and connected just the basics - power switch jumper cable and power cable. The green light on the motherboard is lit all the time indicating the board is getting power but when I press the on switch the fans spin up for a fraction of a second then stop again. I then have to remove the power cable and re-insert it to attempt this exercise again.

I performed the same exercise but linked the power cable from the PSU in my old case into the motherboard in the new case and the old PSU fires up just fine.

Any ideas as its driving me mad?

Cheers

David
Old 09 September 2005, 08:52 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I think you've found the answer....PSU in new case is duff!

Edit: Actually, does your m/b have the additional 4-pin power connector? I forgot to connect that a few times resulting in the symptoms you're seeing!
Old 09 September 2005, 09:58 AM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl
I think you've found the answer....PSU in new case is duff!

Edit: Actually, does your m/b have the additional 4-pin power connector? I forgot to connect that a few times resulting in the symptoms you're seeing!
Thats a really good question actually, I've not had one connected in the past as far as im aware just the large block style power connector?
Old 09 September 2005, 11:45 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeh but does the new psu have the additional 4pin connector cable? If it does uve got the wrong psu in the new case.
Old 09 September 2005, 11:49 AM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Yeh but does the new psu have the additional 4pin connector cable? If it does uve got the wrong psu in the new case.
I cant say I noticed I'l have to take a look later. What does one of those connectors typically look like?

The case is an Arctic-Cooling Silentium T1 and the mobo is an Asus A7n8x if that helps

Thanks for your help

David
Old 09 September 2005, 12:24 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a square 2X2 connector.

The usual ATX one is a rectangular 20pin connector.
Old 09 September 2005, 01:12 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

It doesnt matter if the new psu has the additional connector or not. All that means is that it is atx 2.0 which is what newer motherboards use. Not having a space to connect it to on the mobo is fine as you will still have the standard connector anyway. All the additional connector does is supplies more stable voltage generally to the mobo chipset//moffsets.

Actually, does your m/b have the additional 4-pin power connector? I forgot to connect that a few times resulting in the symptoms you're seeing!
That mobo doesnt have the additional connector (very good mobo)
Old 09 September 2005, 01:54 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

I will have to check if the case provides an additional power connector when I get home tonight.

Im not totally sure if my mobo has a space for it - the spec is here if anybody can clarify?

http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...1859_a7n8x.pdf

Thanks

David
Old 09 September 2005, 04:38 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
I will have to check if the case provides an additional power connector when I get home tonight.

Im not totally sure if my mobo has a space for it - the spec is here if anybody can clarify?

http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...1859_a7n8x.pdf

Thanks

David
From that, and what Jaytc2003 says, it doesn't look like you hav ethe 4 pin connector on the board.

I'd say that it's a duff PSU then. Is the new PSU rated at a similar power (350W, 400W etc)to your old one? I would imagine a Arctic PSU would be pretty good.

I'd Contact your case/PSU supplier and tell them the PSU's dead. Or use your original PSU and transfer it to your new case (if it will fit)
Old 09 September 2005, 06:07 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jowl
From that, and what Jaytc2003 says, it doesn't look like you hav ethe 4 pin connector on the board.

I'd say that it's a duff PSU then. Is the new PSU rated at a similar power (350W, 400W etc)to your old one? I would imagine a Arctic PSU would be pretty good.

I'd Contact your case/PSU supplier and tell them the PSU's dead. Or use your original PSU and transfer it to your new case (if it will fit)
Yeah the PSU is a 350w which should be just plenty for the kit I have, looks like its going to be a duff PSU then.

Cheers guys

David