Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Proxy server help

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2005, 08:11 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Proxy server help

Hello,

We're moving over to dynamic ip addressing at work (to help with our new telecoms system). As not all PC's are allowed access to the interweb, we're gonna use a proxy server, rather than adding the firewall's gateway IP to the DHCP info.

I've currently been using SQUID which seems ok - but up till now people have been on static ip's - so reporting is easy.

What is the best (but not EXTORTIONATE!) proxy server for upto about 15-20 concurrent users? Needs to have authentication (i.e. windows domain info) for logging.

Anyone got any experience to share?

Andy
Old 29 June 2005, 08:22 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do all this with Squid (and a bit of Samba) for free if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, and it will handle a lot more than the amount of users you have in mind.

It's a bit in depth so here's a useful looking resource, http://www.siriusit.co.uk/print/docu...ID=13&typeID=3

Your target OS doesn't need to be Linux of course, just the examples are.
Old 29 June 2005, 08:26 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks - Off on a course tomorrow so I'll havea nosey on Fri! O/S doesn't matter at this stage as the hardware is still sitting in it's box

I have already written a simple squid-log processor to produce the reporting we want - so would be great to keep this, though if we change to linux I'll have to tx the logs over by FTP to the machine the stats program is on, or use a loghost.