Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Problem with my connection (ADSL)

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2005, 11:47 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Problem with my connection (ADSL)

Problem is this: I'll be browsing the net, and I'll type an address and hit return and all of a sudden it'll say I'm offline? I'll look in the TaskBar and I'm not online anymore

I click on my connection which I have saved on my desktop and it says the connection cannot be found!? This happens to me every 20-30 mins. I have to keep making a new connection each time, when I connect again the same thing just keeps happening?

Help would be appreciated
Old 27 June 2005, 12:32 AM
JPS3290
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You installed anything recently just before it started to happen?
You have a wireless connection of USB modem?
Had your ADSL line upgraded recently?
Have you got the latest drivers available for your ADSL modem?
Have you got filters connected to all sockets including Sky if its pluged in?
What OS are you using?

When it disconnects is the ADSL light flashing or constant showing line sync?

I think the first issue is finding out why it keeps disconnection you rather than why you have to keep making a new connection setup. You dont have an idle disconnect time or something similar setup in properties do you? I keep mine as 'Keep Alive' in the wireless router.

Them questions should help us pinpoint the problem a little easier
Old 27 June 2005, 06:15 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using a Netgear router by any chance?

M
Old 27 June 2005, 12:54 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

You installed anything recently just before it started to happen?
No
You have a wireless connection of USB modem?
Nope
Had your ADSL line upgraded recently?
No again
Have you got the latest drivers available for your ADSL modem?
Yes
Have you got filters connected to all sockets including Sky if its pluged in?
Filters where there is a phone connected
What OS are you using?
Windows 2000
When it disconnects is the ADSL light flashing or constant showing line sync?
Both lights on the modem are always on when it disconnects

Using a Netgear router by any chance?
Nope
Old 27 June 2005, 04:59 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Up she goes..
Old 27 June 2005, 06:59 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 27 June 2005, 07:22 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

A long shot here..

Have you scanned your pc for spyware for dialers?

From your replies, I assume you have a usb adsl modem. If so, this normally uses the dial up networking within Windows which dialers can drop and attempt to dial out to their premium rate numbers. As you probably don't have a analogue modem or its not connected, its failing?

H
Old 27 June 2005, 07:52 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Possibly a BT phone line issue check at The Broadband Resource and Exchange Status Checker to make sure there's not problems or scheduled upgrading in your area.

BT have been working/upgrading in my area and due to I'm guessing, overload, my connection has been dodgy for a week or two, all weekend & yesterday I couldn't game online or download anything due to losing connection every 3-5mins, highly annoying but I'm not getting disconnects or freezes as much today however still can't play CS:S or BF2 my 2MB ADSL is just too laggy

Who's your ISP?
Old 28 June 2005, 12:32 AM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Yes I have a USB modem.
I have scanned for spyware many times but no infections have been found. Just checked the sites above and no faults with the line either.

My ISP is Tiscali. I have contacted Tiscali but they can't solve the issues I'm having.

I don't understand why it disconnects and then the connection just disappears I must have created at least 200 new connections now
Old 28 June 2005, 04:49 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Up!
Old 28 June 2005, 07:15 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

ok.

How about creating another user in Windows and logging in as them to create the dialup connection? Yet another long shot corrupt profile maybe..

H
Old 28 June 2005, 08:50 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Dont know if this maybe causing it ???
Or there is a issue with them thinking you are hogging

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2081

Tiscali is an ISP that seems to surface in the news every now and then for all the wrong reasons. The latest reason is a change to the terms and conditions for the service, and the issuing of what users are referring to as 'clause 5.9' letters, effectively booting customers off the service.

Tiscali have in the past experimented with various systems to manage fair usage on their network, and at times the support staff have denied this. In fact there are times when the stories coming out of the call centre seem to be at odds with explanations from Tiscali management. The latest issue revolves around a change made to the terms and conditions on 5th January 2005, as can be seen below:

Taken from here, T&Cs for users signing up prior to 05/01/05 are here.

This shows section 8.4 which describes the current fair usage policy, which gives a figure of 30GB of traffic (a combined figure from upstream and downstream) in a month as the point at which Tiscali may limit the speed of your connection, or actually terminate your services contract. This limit is not publicised clearly on the Tiscali website, which until recently boasted of the unlimited nature of its products. Or at least not in a way that people looking for free modems and speed of service would readily notice. Their product with a 2GB limit is clearly labeled, so we wonder why not the others.

A 30GB limit is likely to be enough for the vast majority of broadband users. Though with the increase in use of digital photography and online video conferencing people are using more their connections more and more. Perhaps the time has come for Ofcom and the Advertising Standards Authority to insist that where a provider has a cap hidden in the depths of the terms and conditions that it is clearly highlighted on the companies advertising and website. Various TV and press adverts extol the virtues of watching video or listening to music online, but imagine a household where 2 or 3 people use the computer, what would seem relatively reasonable usage by each of these people could tip them over the Tiscali limits. We feel that there needs to be some degree of fair usage to stop the few users who insist of deliberately utilising their connection 24 hours a day, 7 days a week as if they lived in a data centre, but ISPs need to do this in a clear and open way. One wonders if this problem is unique to the UK, since one hears little of this from other countries.

Users of the Tiscali service are not happy of course, people who signed up before the new terms and conditions appear to be still getting action taken against them based on clause 5.9 which is designed to protect network integrity. One big downside with Tiscali, is that there is no simple migration path away from the ISP, since single user DataStream to IPStream migrations are not available just yet We have also seen a fair number of posts from people who have tried to leave Tiscali, and even this has not been a smooth process with the line left marked as in use by Tiscali.

Why Tiscali are carrying out this culling of its heavier users is unclear. They are not going to be impacted by the BT Wholesale UBC and CBC BT Central products, since Tiscali use the BT Datastream products for most customers, and this is totally unmetered between the exchange and provider. Though if you can clear your network of the heavier users, you may be able to provision the connections with smaller amounts of bandwidth, or put off upgrading them, in an attempt to keep costs down. One thing often overlooked is that for unmetered networks the key point is the behaviour at peak times, and removing the heavy users may have very little impact on the peak usage times. Why? Because it is very likely the lighter users will use the connection at similar times of week.

For a much longer, but worth reading summary of the state of service on Tiscali Broadband visit here. That article illustrates nicely that something that is widely advertised is not necessarily the best product on the market. It is time that ISPs paid more attention to retaining existing customers, than attracting new victims.
Old 28 June 2005, 09:58 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Yes, could be them disconnecting me but it doesn't explain why my connection disappears when I try and re-connect.

Everytime I try to re-connect; my computer tells me the connection cannot be found...I have to keep making a new connection by going to 'Network and Dial-up Connections'. This just keeps repeating itself

It goes like this:-

1) Connect to internet
2) Surf the net
3) Get disconnected
4) I'll minimize Internet Explorer and double click my connection, but it will say 'cannot be found'
5) Create a new connection in Network and Dial-up Connections
6) Re-connect using the new connection I have just created
7) I'll get disconnected and I'm back to point 4, again

HHxx, I've already tried a new user, still have the same problem
Old 28 June 2005, 10:51 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm inclined to agree with HHxx: it sounds like you've been hit be a redialler. It's deleting the old connection, but it can't esablish the new connection with the expensive tarif because (obviously) you have no dial-up. Not all anti-spyware can detect all redialers, so the fact you've found nothing means little.

M
Old 29 June 2005, 07:11 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

I think I've managed to sort it out now .Thanks for the replies

Any ideas of how to get Norton Antivirus 2005 without paying for it? I've already had the trial version so can't use it again
Old 29 June 2005, 08:22 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

IMHO don't use Norton seen to many posts on here and other forums that Norton hammers your processor or hangs or blocks internet

If you don't want to pay use something like AVG its Free
Old 29 June 2005, 08:36 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nicks VR4
IMHO don't use Norton seen to many posts on here and other forums that Norton hammers your processor or hangs or blocks internet

Plus Norton seems to miss a fair few things in my experience just deleted Norton after renewal was due and AVG Free is doing a good job so far (and detected and deleted the trojan that Norton couldn't )
Old 29 June 2005, 09:31 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nicks VR4

Cheers Very good so far