Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

All you GT4 and Forza pansies....

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2005, 09:37 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All you GT4 and Forza pansies....

.....why don't you put down that arcade rubbish and try a *real* racing simulator?

You like to talk the good talk about realistic physics and handling, when you know full well that both of these titles have their handling models significantly compromised to allow the title to appeal to a mass audience.

Well, you've got a PC (or else you wouldn't be on here), you've got a steering wheel (or at least you should have, if you want to get the best out of the likes of GT4), so why not download this demo and see just how good you really are.

http://www.simracingworld.com/files/?File=1271

http://www.10tacle.com/gtr-game/

I can assure you, you won't be going back to your console racers for a while.
Old 23 May 2005, 09:53 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Tried it with keyboard and its impossible. Unfortunately buying 3 steering wheels (for PC, PS2 and Xbox) is low priority right now.
Old 23 May 2005, 10:11 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Will it run on my PII 300? I have a 4mb graphics card.
Old 23 May 2005, 10:15 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Tried it with keyboard and its impossible. Unfortunately buying 3 steering wheels (for PC, PS2 and Xbox) is low priority right now.
Get the driving force pro, works on PS2 and PC as its USB.

Jack - LOL Liar.
Old 23 May 2005, 10:16 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

it is compleatly crap with the keyboard

also when i tried it a while back, it had serious issues with my sidewinder control pad so i ****ed it off

d-force pro wheel might make it better?
Old 23 May 2005, 10:30 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Dont like the driving force wheels, and defo not for £90
Old 23 May 2005, 10:34 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
it is compleatly crap with the keyboard

also when i tried it a while back, it had serious issues with my sidewinder control pad so i ****ed it off

d-force pro wheel might make it better?
yes, I should stress that it is not even worth considering trying this game unless you own a wheel. It's a full on simulation, however it is by no means 'inaccessibly difficult', and it is rewarding beyond belief.

DFP is absolutely perfect with it, although you will likely need to select the 'reverse forces' box in the controller setup.
Old 23 May 2005, 10:34 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

OK, I lied. My main machine is a DUAL PII 300. It's a web browser, email server, iTunes server, video and picture editor. Takes a while to start up, but once it's going it still works a treat. 1996 vintage. I might retire it next year once it's been running for a decade.
Old 23 May 2005, 10:54 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

it's fine, you can turn all the detail levels down. Who needs round wheels anyway??
Old 23 May 2005, 11:19 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

I think the controller methods adopted sums up a major difference between a full on simulator and a 'pretend' one. Without proper analogue controls whatever you do is compromised. To get the best out of GTR you should get a wheel, but I have a friend who is as quick as Ed or myself and uses a Microsoft Sidewinder joystick!

GT4 is good to pick up and play but GTR is a different league.

If anyone is interested in GTR league racing go join up here, www.ukgtr.org
Old 23 May 2005, 02:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I don't have a PC, I have a Macintosh Plus for gaming I have an xbox, so on both counts I can't join in a "proper" game. Pity really as I did have a sniff round the site and it does look very impressive
Old 23 May 2005, 03:30 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GTR is very impressive. Gfx are fantastic, and the sound is actually sampled from the real cars, cant get getter then that However, I cant play it very well at all. For example best I can do on Monza, is get within 1 second of the AI cars, in Semi-Pro. Do u guys run with minimum traction control, off or what? as I can only just about stop the cars from spinning out on minimum traction control. Also I cant stop the cars from understeering, or rather I cant attack the corners as hard as I want to, and Ive tried softer springs, rollbars, lowering the chassis etc etc. I know this is a sim game, but surely I should be able to fly into corners and sort out the slide on the exit, rather than just understeering into oblivion? I use a PS2 pad btw. Would a wheel make all the difference? Not that I have anywhere to mount it mindu
Old 23 May 2005, 03:44 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Can't say I've tried GTR with a PS2 pad, tried GPL that way and decided it was not do-able. In GTR if you steer too quickly you quickly break traction with the front wheels and thus understeer off. Brake to hard and lock the front wheels you will understeer off.

Personally, as an ex GPL player, I went straight for full simulation mode with all aids turned off, except for auto clutch as I don't have a pedal for that. Not sure I can get that close to the AI at most circuits, I'm in it for the online racing
Old 23 May 2005, 03:55 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kernel
Can't say I've tried GTR with a PS2 pad, tried GPL that way and decided it was not do-able. In GTR if you steer too quickly you quickly break traction with the front wheels and thus understeer off. Brake to hard and lock the front wheels you will understeer off.
Yeh with the ps2 pad I had to turn the sensitivity right down, otherwise u cant even keep the cars in a straight line easily. Maybe with it turned right down, and the deadzone numbed, its still too sensitive?
Old 23 May 2005, 05:32 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
GTR is very impressive. Gfx are fantastic, and the sound is actually sampled from the real cars, cant get getter then that However, I cant play it very well at all. For example best I can do on Monza, is get within 1 second of the AI cars, in Semi-Pro. Do u guys run with minimum traction control, off or what? as I can only just about stop the cars from spinning out on minimum traction control. Also I cant stop the cars from understeering, or rather I cant attack the corners as hard as I want to, and Ive tried softer springs, rollbars, lowering the chassis etc etc. I know this is a sim game, but surely I should be able to fly into corners and sort out the slide on the exit, rather than just understeering into oblivion? I use a PS2 pad btw. Would a wheel make all the difference? Not that I have anywhere to mount it mindu
basically you need to pretty much forget everything you have 'learned' playing games like GT4 (presuming you have?).

just like a real GT race car, the game demands subtlety. you will not be drifting through eau rouge (well, not on purpose anyway lol) or barrelling into hairpins with gay abandon.

to do well in this game, you need to approach it just like you were driving on a real circuit, braking in a straight line, turning into the corners gradually whilst the contact patch is maximised, and then veeeeeeery generally squeezing the throttle.

even after thinking you have the game sussed, you will still find yourself spinning in a straight line by thinking you can just put the pedal to the floor in second gear

and the beauty is, you will not get frustrated because you will know it's your own fault, not due to the limitations or inaccuracies of the game.

the car setups do make a massive amount of difference, and again my suggestion is to do everything subtly and gradually noting the differences, rather than making huge wholesale changes as you can very easily make a car almost undrivable.

finally, yes, a huge amount of the game is down to your controller input, and my feeling is that even with an analog dual shock, you just are not going to get the level of precise control necessary to make the most of the exquisite game engine.

however, if you ever needed an excuse to buy a steering wheel, this is it. it really is the closest any of us are likely to ever get to driving a real 600hp FIA GT racer, and to that end I consider it a bargain.
Old 23 May 2005, 05:33 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Could be, some of the setups supplied have a steering lock of 30 odd, I usually run 11 degrees as this means I'm not over steering all the time and killing the tyres or breaking traction so much. With my Momo wheel I guess I've got a good 8 inces on movement left or right, you've got all that compressed in to half an inch!
Old 23 May 2005, 05:47 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Could be, some of the setups supplied have a steering lock of 30 odd, I usually run 11 degrees as this means I'm not over steering all the time and killing the tyres or breaking traction so much. With my Momo wheel I guess I've got a good 8 inces on movement left or right, you've got all that compressed in to half an inch!
Wheras us dfp wheel users get a cool 900 degree lock to lock

You online tonight kernel?
Old 23 May 2005, 08:53 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Ed you need to join up with the UKGTR boys, people on most nights. We're planning Spa at dusk tomorrow evening. Hoping for a full server of 30.

Trying to distrupt them tonight by installing and running UT2004 at the same time
Old 24 May 2005, 05:38 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Ed you need to join up with the UKGTR boys, people on most nights. We're planning Spa at dusk tomorrow evening. Hoping for a full server of 30.

Trying to distrupt them tonight by installing and running UT2004 at the same time
How do I do that???
Old 24 May 2005, 07:35 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
How do I do that???

Ed, goto www.ukgtr.org and register on the forums. Then read the first message in this thread.

http://forum.ukgtr.org/smf/index.php?topic=12.0

Qual 2 starts at 9pm, race at around 9:30. Server is called UKGTR [www.ukgtr.org]
Old 24 May 2005, 11:28 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

wow, awesome racing, sweating like a pig!

I think I did pretty well was holding my own mid pack in both races, until I binned it when trying to push on

The game jsut gets better and better!

Thx for hosting!

Ed
Old 25 May 2005, 08:48 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Nice to see you there Ed. Was a good turn out last night. We hit the 30 connected at one stage but it appears the game suffers with that many. Simbin seem to run their servers at 24 drivers, looks like there is a good reason for it!
Old 25 May 2005, 10:02 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Where is the replay from the spa race?
Old 25 May 2005, 12:41 PM
kernel
Scooby Regular

www.ukgtr.org then click on the Replays(1) link on the left menu. It's called UKGTR_Spa(fun)_2005_05_24.zip, Donny one is there too