Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wave file to text

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2005, 08:14 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wave file to text

Can anyone recommend any software to convert a speech wave file to text? I have done a google and did find one shareware example which I am going to test but thought to ask just in case anyone has experience of these things. I believe most voice recognition software needs training and, clearly, this isn't possible with a wav file.

It doesn't need to be free, or shareware, but it is handy to be able to try it out first to see if it meets the requirements. I seem to recall that IBM do something called ViaVoice, or similar, and was wondering if it can convert wav files to text and, if so, is it successful?
Old 22 May 2005, 11:36 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I used viavoice for a while and although speech recogintion is alot better than it used to be there is still along way to go and it is *very* timeconsuming going through all the training, I gave up in the end because it is still quicker to type and if you are using several apps at the same time its faster to multi-task with the keyboard.

Gary
Old 22 May 2005, 02:09 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Thanks Gary, I sort of had that feeling. It isn't being used for control but to convert a lot of audio to text to save transcription. Do you know can Viavoice take a .wav file and convert it to a text file or does it just take a microphone input?
Old 23 May 2005, 08:04 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Im pretty sure it only takes a microphone input and not a file. Sounds to me you need a secretarial temp who can listen to the file, transcribe it in shorthand and then type it up for ya!

Cheers

Gary
Old 23 May 2005, 03:30 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

An easier option is to use an audiotypist - we listen to the transcript and type what we hear