Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Killzone 2 - Best game ever?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 01:16 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Killzone 2 - Best game ever?

OH MY GOD!

I'm no fan of FPS's, I've played a few over the last 10 years, but I'm no FPS fan boy.

Watch the vid on ign or gamespot etc.

It looks incredible, I've never seem so much **** going down. Immersive? War? I should coco.

If it's online and it ends up looking and playing like that the next gen is going to be a treat.

Old 18 May 2005, 01:47 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graphics don't make a game....

If it plays like a pile of poo, it will be a well polished pile of poo. Too much emphasis on graphics these days and not enough on gameplay
Old 18 May 2005, 01:54 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Agreed. The first killzone was rubbish, so I hope they've learnt their lesson in time for the 2nd one...
Old 18 May 2005, 02:13 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Was that actual ingame footage though? or a scripted sequence?
I agree the graphics are stunning but I'm always wary of pre-release hype.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:13 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

I'm not talking about the graphics, more about the amount of action happening which means gameplay.

just watch the frickin vid
Old 18 May 2005, 02:16 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Lots of action happening in a pre-scripted sequence does not mean that it will have good gameplay.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:26 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

I agree, the video isn't real gameplay. For instance, the other friendly solider barging the enemy over the railings just before he shoots! yeah right

The actual game will be nothing like the video!
Old 18 May 2005, 02:32 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

From that vid of Killzone 2 is doesn't look that far short of Half Life 2's graphics, but with all the particle effects from the explosions I reckon its probably pre-rendered.

Wouldn't mind being proved wrong though.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:32 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
I agree, the video isn't real gameplay. For instance, the other friendly solider barging the enemy over the railings just before he shoots! yeah right

The actual game will be nothing like the video!
based on your extensive knowledge of coding for the ps3 I'm certain
Old 18 May 2005, 02:35 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by papascooby
based on your extensive knowledge of coding for the ps3 I'm certain
Nah, just my non-significant gaming experience
Old 18 May 2005, 02:36 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I'm not talking about the graphics, more about the amount of action happening which means gameplay.
In some respects yes. Doesn't convey the controls (responsive, sluggish, etc.), what you can do in the game, repetitiveness, etc. Eye candy is great, but gameplay rules.

Wasn't Daikatana supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread (a while ago). Looked great.....

Sorry, don't mean to put a downer on your post, it does look good, but will it be significantly different (in a good way) so that you'll keep coming back to it?

Maybe I'm just getting too old and cynical
Old 18 May 2005, 02:43 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

we're all getting too old and synical, we've all been playing games for 25 years and think we know best (although I did work for Emap Images (comp. mag publisher) and ran a shop for several years - anyway).

I knnow it doesn't convey all the things you mentioned, but even if it's just one mass battle, with that much going on I think it will be one of the most immersive games ever. If it has, great control, all the **** in the vid, onlineness and a decent storyline it will be the best

Last edited by papascooby; 18 May 2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:44 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Anyone remember "Rise of the Robots" a few years ago. The screenshots etc looked amazing for the time, and there was as unbelievable amlount of hype around it, but when it was finally released, everyone realised it was complete rubbish, (sluggish controls, repetetive gameplay etc).

Don't get me wrong, I really do hope that the final game will look as good as this, and have good gameplay, but that is something that cannot really be speculated upon until we can actually get our hands on it and play it...
Old 18 May 2005, 02:46 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

we're all getting too old and synical, we've all been playing games for 25 years and think we know best (although I did work for Emap and wrote reveiws in PC Review and worked on tons of other mags and ran a shop for several years - anyway).

I knnow it doesn't convey all the things you mentioned, but even if it's just one mass battle, with that much going on I think it will be one of the most immersive games ever. If it has, great control, all the **** in the vid, onlineness and a decent storyline it will be the best
and a dolby digital soundtrack to rival Saving Private Ryan.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:49 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Unless the video has a H.U.D. I usually take the graphics with a pinch of salt - Show me a killzone 2 vid that has a life bar on it.
Old 18 May 2005, 03:25 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Just to get this straight once and for all, *ALL* of the Sony PS3 demos, with the exception of (my mate) Phil Harrison's technical demos, (moy other mate, Mark Rein's) Unreal demo, and the EA Sports demos (fight night etc.), are pre-rendered CG movies and are not running realtime. Yes, that includes Kill Zone.

Also, Sony have been a little naughty with their performance comparison figures. During their press conference they claimed PS3 was over twice as powerful as Xbox 360. However their comparison was between PS3 (Cell CPU and Nvidia GPU together) vs the Xbox 360 Power PC CPUs only. (not including the GPU)

Finally, Microsoft have since said that all the XB360 demos were running on Alpha hardware, with 2 CPUs instead of 3, and a placeholder current gen ATI GPU, so roughly 1/3rd final performance.

So there
Old 18 May 2005, 03:28 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I read about that - they called it the XBox 120...
Old 18 May 2005, 03:38 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
Just to get this straight once and for all, *ALL* of the Sony PS3 demos, with the exception of (my mate) Phil Harrison's technical demos, (moy other mate, Mark Rein's) Unreal demo, and the EA Sports demos (fight night etc.), are pre-rendered CG movies and are not running realtime. Yes, that includes Kill Zone.
That's complete crap if its not real-time at all What is the point! so its another woo woo fake again! This is what we would like the PS3 to achieve but they can't actually do it yet!
Old 18 May 2005, 04:00 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Ed, does that include the Final Fantasy VII video that they are marketing as real time rendered? I'd buy it alone for an updated FFVII

Talking of Rise of the Robots, I recall a month or two ago seeing someone wearing the Rise of the Robots Tshirt that came free with the game.....well you had to get something for your hard earned

Even with a decent spec PC sat at home, I find myself going back to Angband (based on Rogue/Moria/Hack/etc. but with graphic tiles ) once a year or so, much to the bemusement of my better half Looks something like this :

Who says you need good graphics
Old 18 May 2005, 04:02 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
That's complete crap if its not real-time at all What is the point! so its another woo woo fake again! This is what we would like the PS3 to achieve but they can't actually do it yet!
its nothing new, it was no different at the launch of this generation. basically they are just showing 'trailers' of what they believe will be possible.

unfortunately a lot of people now have the misguided opinion that PlayStation 3 is significantly more powerful than Xbox 360, which simply isn't the case.
Old 18 May 2005, 04:07 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Ed, does that include the Final Fantasy VII video that they are marketing as real time rendered? I'd buy it alone for an updated FFVII

Talking of Rise of the Robots, I recall a month or two ago seeing someone wearing the Rise of the Robots Tshirt that came free with the game.....well you had to get something for your hard earned

Even with a decent spec PC sat at home, I find myself going back to Angband (based on Rogue/Moria/Hack/etc. but with graphic tiles ) once a year or so, much to the bemusement of my better half Looks something like this :

Who says you need good graphics
FFVII was realtime 'rendered' but NOT gameplay footage. basically they have created a scripted sequence and then simply running it through the gpu for it to be rendered in realtime. of course there was no gameplay logic, AI, etc etc.

there is currently no confirmation that FFVII will actually be redeveloped, this was purely a demonstration to show what will be possible of future final fantasy titles.
Old 18 May 2005, 04:19 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Ahhh pish I'll have to go in the loft and get my original PS1 FFVII back out then

I'll end up buying a new XBOX 360 and PS3 eventually, maybe nearish launch if they pitch the console and game prices right
Old 18 May 2005, 05:38 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase
its nothing new, it was no different at the launch of this generation. basically they are just showing 'trailers' of what they believe will be possible.

unfortunately a lot of people now have the misguided opinion that PlayStation 3 is significantly more powerful than Xbox 360, which simply isn't the case.
isn't the Floating Point Calculation figure for the Cell almost twice as good as the 3 360 cpu's?

I know that's not everything, but it's one of the few measurable figures at this point
Old 18 May 2005, 06:11 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

isn't the Floating Point Calculation figure for the Cell almost twice as good as the 3 360 cpu's?

I know that's not everything, but it's one of the few measurable figures at this point
No, their comparison for PS3 was Cell CPU and Nvidia GPU together vs the Xbox 360 Power PC CPUs only. (not including the GPU), which I think comes in somewhere around 1.8 TFLOPS compared with 2.0 for PS3