Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Creating an "Index of pics" page

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2005, 05:07 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating an "Index of pics" page

I'm still quite a novice when it comes to creating web pages and rely on Frontpage to do all my work for me. For some areas of my sites though I'd just like an "Index of pics" page, where I can upload photos and the page'll do the rest when visitors open it.

Is this possible or am I just being a div.

Cheers,

Jonts.
Old 14 May 2005, 05:13 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Is a better section to post in for this sort of question.

Buck
Old 14 May 2005, 06:18 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

I've been trying some free software called JAlbum, have a look at:
http://jalbum.net/

I put some very simple galleries up at:
http://www.thegaddfamily.co.uk/
to try it out. You can select the thumbnails to get the bigger ones and navigate between them. JAlbum can do some amazing stuff - these are just scratching the surface.

It makes it very easy to put the pics in a series of folders and then it generates all the necessary html to hang it together. The size of all the files is managed for you as well. You can make sure it works ok and then upload the whole lot to your web space.

Is that what you had in mind ?
Old 14 May 2005, 06:18 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonty
where I can upload photos and the page'll do the rest
Jonts.
Whats is it you want to do? have a gallery where users click on a small pic (thumbnail) and the large pic then appers?
Old 15 May 2005, 12:49 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ricardo
Is that what you had in mind ?
Hi Ricardo, Richard.

Thanks for the replies -- I think the use of the 'pics' example wasn't a good idea of mine. What I'm interested in is how to get pages like this;

http://linux.dell.com/files

Quite often I want to upload files onto my websites and it would be handy if I could just point people to the parent link still, thereby not requiring me to send out multiple file links or having to update an index.htm page in Frontpage.

If I could have something like the above that is dynamic as files are added/removed then it would be fab.

Possible..?

Jonts.
Old 15 May 2005, 01:02 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Ok easy

Just put all the files you want the user to be able to see in a folder in your webspace and link to the folder.

For example if you put a folder called images and place them in it you can just link to this folder. However if the folder has a page called index.htm/cfm/asp etc in it then this will open but if not then you will just see the directory structure as in the link you have shown.

So put your files in a folder called images and then if your domain is www.jonty.co.uk just point the user to www.jonty.co.uk/images/

That'll do it.
Old 05 June 2005, 11:23 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard_P
Just put all the files you want the user to be able to see in a folder in your webspace and link to the folder.
Thanks Richard, and sorry for the delay in responding. I guessed it might be as easy as this but alas it doesn't work for me (and I've removed any index.htm pages too.) After some probing around the 'net, it looks like it might be my ISP. Some code needs to be present for this to work. As it doesn't I guess it's not.

Never mind.

Jonts.
Old 05 June 2005, 11:25 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Was a thread on this in computer related http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=428926
Old 06 June 2005, 08:58 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Use the "Gallery" template in frontpage - does it all for you. This is an example of how it looks. If it isn't in your FrontPage set up by default, go to the Microsoft Office Website and root through all the free goodies they have there, it should be there somewhere. It is certainly there in FP 2003 (just checked )
Old 06 June 2005, 08:59 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard_P
Ok easy

For example if you put a folder called images and place them in it you can just link to this folder. However if the folder has a page called index.htm/cfm/asp etc in it then this will open but if not then you will just see the directory structure as in the link you have shown.

So put your files in a folder called images and then if your domain is www.jonty.co.uk just point the user to www.jonty.co.uk/images/

That'll do it.
Assuming you have an ISP that allows directory browsing by default. Most switch this off to stop people putting a junk file name to gain access to a list of all the files in a given folder.
Old 06 June 2005, 11:39 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Olly's already said what I was about to say, directory browsing obviously isn't enabled for your webspace. Normally not adviseable to have it on anyway.
Old 06 June 2005, 11:41 AM
juan
Scooby Regular

Showing these sorts of index pages is totally down to how the server is configured. Most companies supplying simple hosting will turn this off by default so that visitors can't randomly check out the contents of everything you have in your folders.

You could create an index page which contained code to do the same thing though (ie it would grab a list of all the files in the same folder and then display them as links) but this will be beyond you unless you have some basic coding skills
Old 06 June 2005, 05:14 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

If you have php enabled then you can download a simple directory listing script to do it for you.

For example: http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/43547.html

There are a few more listed on the www.hotscripts.com website. Just do a search for "directory lister" or google it for lots more.