Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

whats the best MP3 site ??

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2005, 07:46 PM
Ridge Racer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best MP3 site ??

anyone got recommendations for MP3 sites ??
Old 11 May 2005, 08:41 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ridge Racer
All of MP 3 is quite cool. I use it a lot, and its legal to use also. Works out to about £1 per album in DRM free 192 Bit MP3 format.
Old 11 May 2005, 09:27 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

That is insanely cheap compared to iTunes
Old 11 May 2005, 09:35 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmer1
That is insanely cheap compared to iTunes

Its also insanely not legal, unless you are russian. But they are quite good sites, I'll give them that!
Old 11 May 2005, 09:47 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Have you actually researched that? The Register doesn't seem to think you'd be in much danger of getting nicked...
Old 12 May 2005, 08:39 AM
ChrisB

Very interesting. How long have you been using them Stuey?
Old 12 May 2005, 09:00 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Have you actually researched that? The Register doesn't seem to think you'd be in much danger of getting nicked...
That article relates to whether it breaks Russian law, which does not govern us. Over here copyright materials must be bought through authorised (licensed) vendors. Which they are not. So whether its likely that you will be nicked or not is not relevant to its legality.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:07 AM
ChrisB

Fair point AN. Wouldn't the BPI or RIAA need access to the site logs to work out who in the UK or US has been a customer? Given the site seems to be operating within Russian law, I wonder if they would have any chance of getting them?
Old 12 May 2005, 09:08 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I use mp3search.ru 10 cents a track.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:09 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I have been using them for about 6 months tbh. Its fairly secure ie ssl etc and had no issues, except sometimes it gets a little too busy. Download speeds are usually about 60K/s HTH
Old 12 May 2005, 10:41 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Fair point AN. Wouldn't the BPI or RIAA need access to the site logs to work out who in the UK or US has been a customer? Given the site seems to be operating within Russian law, I wonder if they would have any chance of getting them?

That, is the conundrum. I think that they could force an ISP to surrender their log files and go from there if they were that desperate. But luckily here in the UK the BPI are not that desperate, yet, at least.
Old 12 May 2005, 11:17 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridge Racer
There is only one place you should be visiting for your MP3 needs, and that is IRC
Old 12 May 2005, 12:02 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

AN, I still think you're making an unjustified assumption about the legality of using the site from the UK. It's perfectly legal to buy music abroad and import it, just not to actually sell it in the UK without a license. (That's where the likes of play.com had trouble, if you recall, buying CDs intended for sale outside the EU and reselling them within it - but there's nothing at all stopping you from travelling to, say, Hong Kong, buying a CD and bringing it back home with you).

However, with sites like AllOfMP3, there's a strong argument that you're actually buying music legally, in Russia - and then importing it back into the UK by the act of downloading it. Your c/c transaction is handled in Russia by a Russian company, I believe.

In that case, nobody is selling music in the UK without a license, and though the RIAA might wish it were otherwise, they don't actually make the law.
Old 12 May 2005, 12:21 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Either way its a can of worms. But I would err on the side of caution if you are a concerned about the legality.

Nobody is sure whether it is legal or not hence it would be wise to take caution. Although the BPI are not as aggressive as the RIAA, one day they might decide to be and then they will go after these sites too.
Old 12 May 2005, 12:31 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Register
Last month, the computer crime division of the Moscow City Police began an investigation into AllofMP3.com's activities after receiving a complaint from the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). The police referred the case to the Prosecutor's Office with the request that the Internet site be brought to book.

However, because the site is not involved in the physical distribution of unauthorised copies of the songs it offers, it can't be put on trial for breaking Russia's copyright law, the Prosecutor's Office said last week.

The IFPI has already admitted that AllofMP3.com is operating within a loophole in Russian law, and that a successful prosecution would be unlikely
...so, it would appear as though the authorities already have gone after them - and failed. I agree it's a can of worms, but that's not the same as saying "it's definitely illegal".

For what it's worth, I don't use such sites myself - legal or not, it's clear that the artists make next to nothing from them anyway. I actually do want to support the artists that make the music I enjoy... though my tastes in music are a long way removed from the over-promoted, vapid and disposable crap that fills the radio, TV and the charts.
Old 12 May 2005, 12:39 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
...so, it would appear as though the authorities already have gone after them - and failed. I agree it's a can of worms, but that's not the same as saying "it's definitely illegal".
Nor is it the same as saying it definitely is. the thing with that Register article is that it is commenting on the state of affairs in Russia, from a Russian perspective. I am merely stating that I would be cautious using it.

I too prefer to buy my stuff, physical CD's and iTunes, I have also used mp3search.ru back in the days when there was no legal alternative.
Old 12 May 2005, 01:25 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

If it was legal you'd be paying tax and as far as I can see there's no mention.
Old 12 May 2005, 01:43 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Which tax exactly?
Old 12 May 2005, 01:52 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

The Illegitamate MP3 tax!
Old 12 May 2005, 01:59 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lol Never mind the fact we've been paying 'rip-off Britain' tax on our music for years!
Old 12 May 2005, 02:43 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
The Illegitamate MP3 tax!
But its not illegitimate in Russia and they do make a payment to Russia's PRS-type body

As I said on a previous thread "...it has been ruled that the service is legally allowed to operate in Russia as it exploits a loophole in their existing copyright law.

AllOfMP3 does not require a license to redistribute copywritten works via electronic transmission. I believe they do make a payment to Russia's PRS-type body for every song downloaded but obviously the record companies and artists make more money from distribution deals. There is no "distribution" in this case as Russian copyright law appears to limit the term "distribution" to physical media (ie. CD/DVD).

The artist is making less money at the end of the day but the question arises, how does it differ legally from you personally purchasing a physical CD in Russia and bringing it back home?"
Old 12 May 2005, 03:37 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Online sales are subject to taxation, you have a personal import limit if you take the time to go over there.
Old 12 May 2005, 05:17 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Online sales are subject to taxation, you have a personal import limit if you take the time to go over there.
So should I be declaring every item of software I "import" (download) when I buy from a US software author for example?
Old 12 May 2005, 05:42 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The software manufacturer should be paying the tax for you. We at McAfee had to absorb this cost either last year or the year before. I'm pissing about more than anything.
Old 12 May 2005, 07:10 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I would *love* to see the first case brought against someone for evading the tax on an MP3 download costing 5 pence
Old 12 May 2005, 07:36 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The government could ask for 17.5% of their sales to the UK, 17.5% of a whole lot of money is a lot of money.
Old 12 May 2005, 07:51 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I'm pissing about more than anything.
Don't worry, so am I These sort of grey areas fascinate me.