Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

numptie idiot has mucked up his computer, please help

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2005, 06:58 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face numptie idiot has mucked up his computer, please help

in my haste of erasing some things (spyware programmes i believe) i have removed something i shouldn't have and now my computer won't fire up

using windows 2000, turn on comp, all works fine and starts up until it comes to the part of the start up process where in a 3"x1.5" in runs thru 'loading personal preferences' then 'applying personal preferences'.

straight after that, a box comes up that says 'explorer .exe has generated errors and will be closedby windows. an error log is being created'

click ok and screen goes blue and nothing else happens.

what have i done?

any help on the above will be much appreciated, can't really take it anywhere as it's got a few *ahem* 'interesting' things on it nothing dodgy, just a bit naughty. it belongs to my brother inlaw and while it will be easy to just dump it back to him, i'd prefer it to be a bit cleaner if you know what i mean

any help will be very appreciated
Old 11 May 2005, 02:37 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

looks like a reinstall of winblows2k is needed. or even try a repair. you will need a bootable cd and the cd key as well.
Old 11 May 2005, 06:26 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
looks like a reinstall of winblows2k is needed. or even try a repair. you will need a bootable cd and the cd key as well.
where can i get these from mate? my mate who's computer it belongs to is pretty sure he's got one or both of these cards but they've just moved so everything's in a bit of a state at the mo!

will a reinstall loose saved things like pictures?

ta
Old 11 May 2005, 11:21 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

can you try logging in as another user?

does it work in safe mode?
Old 11 May 2005, 06:43 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
can you try logging in as another user?

does it work in safe mode?
nope, no joy with booting up in any of the mode options available. i've fooked it good and proper!

would be good to know if a rebuild/repair will loose my saved pics etc though, as it's getting to the point i think it'll be easier to wipe it and for him to rebuild from scratch if all that's needed for that is a disk that he should have kicking around somewhere?

how do you wipe a computer? other than with a 10lb hammer that is
Old 11 May 2005, 07:19 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hoskib
in my haste of erasing some things (spyware programmes i believe) i have removed something i shouldn't have and now my computer won't fire up

.............an error log is being created'

That would be helpful....
Old 11 May 2005, 07:20 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

We've all done it mate. Ask my wife how many times I have come downstairs saying I've broken the pc
Old 11 May 2005, 08:39 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

as long as windows starts anything should be recoverable.
Old 11 May 2005, 08:44 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

There is one thing you can do:

If you get it to start then go to a run Cmd (Dos Window), put your 2k Disc in the drive and type "sfc /scannow", this then sets windows off scanning for damaged files, if it finds any repairs them with good versions from the CD.
Old 11 May 2005, 08:53 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

At the logon screen, do you use a password to log on? if so instead of logging onto the account, press "Ctrl Alt Del" all together it should *scratches Head not sure with 2k* show you access to the administrator account which should be untouched. you should be able to repair from there, or remove/save what you want to.
Old 12 May 2005, 06:25 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4eX
At the logon screen, do you use a password to log on? if so instead of logging onto the account, press "Ctrl Alt Del" all together it should *scratches Head not sure with 2k* show you access to the administrator account which should be untouched. you should be able to repair from there, or remove/save what you want to.
the logon screen just flashes up momentarily, doesn't give me any time to type anything in. used to have to put in a password every time i started the comp, then one day it just started flashing past the screen

i think the disk may be the way forward to repair my ***** up, but i don't have access to it for a while (if my mate's got it at all), can you get these easily?
Old 12 May 2005, 08:43 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

the logon screen just flashes up momentarily, doesn't give me any time to type anything in. used to have to put in a password every time i started the comp, then one day it just started flashing past the screen

i think the disk may be the way forward to repair my ***** up, but i don't have access to it for a while (if my mate's got it at all), can you get these easily?
The Disk route is probably your best option, i know that if you boot from the 2K CD it should see your OS's original install and give you a repair option.
Old 12 May 2005, 10:32 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

looks like youve damaged your windows try using xp and repairing which will sort out your registry files
Old 13 May 2005, 06:30 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

i've just bought a windows repair disc from ebay, so hopefully this will do the trick.

cheers for the info guys, will post up results (or another cry for help)