Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

SBS Server and Norton/other software?

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2005, 09:02 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBS Server and Norton/other software?

We have a W2003 SBS Premium server about to be connected onto the network, it is purely for internal use on the LAN, maybe slight chance of VPN into it but certainly not yet.

All local clients machines have Norton of somesort and various expiry dates.

Should the server have Norton (or similar) on it as well?

Is Norton Corporate worth looking at? I've not been able to find vast amounts of info on it yet but am I right in thinking it is a central point that pushes out new updates to the clients automatically?

Any advice on what sort of protection the server should have greatfully received.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 20 April 2005, 09:17 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have SBS2003 Premium & use McAfee to protect the network. I have McAfee Enterprise v8 to protect the server box & all clients (you should note that Enterprise can hang XP clients on shutdown, I've not had the server hang). Enterprise should have email checking disabled & should not scan the Exchange folders. Enterprise is also used on the server to Mirror the updates to a shared folder. I use McAfee Groupshield v6 to protect Exchange from email viruses, the interface is complicated, but it works well. As you know, the SBS2003 ICW already blocks certain email attachments.

Due to the above mentioned hang on shutdown issues, you may want to install Panda AV software on the workstations.
Old 20 April 2005, 11:24 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Currently all the clients are Norton, what reasons did you choose McAfee over Norton if you dont mind me asking?

I am new to this, been a Mac user for ever and a day so on a pretty steep learning curve here...

Rich
Old 20 April 2005, 12:38 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose McAfee because I have found in the past that Norton is not good at detecting ALL types of viruses. Also I find Norton software very bloated & don't like stuff like their Live Update.
Old 23 April 2005, 10:52 PM
aqua
Scooby Regular

Trend also seems to be a popular choice in the SBS world.

As Nick mentioned above Norton also seems to have more problems updating through SBS and ISA than some of the other AV's.

Also join the Yahoo SBS newsgroup which is very active and offers some brilliant advice for SBS users of 4.5 to 2003 from a lot of MS MVPs (much valued partners) and some dignatories as well (ie,Tom Shinder)
Old 25 April 2005, 11:18 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

We are running Trend Officescan on all our workstations and Sophos on the servers.

Its a good combo

Darren