Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Corporate desktop PC's

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2005, 03:23 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corporate desktop PC's

We use Dell, but we're looking at other options.

HP now they've bought Compaq?
IBM?

any others worth trusting?
Old 21 February 2005, 06:04 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use IBM, mainly I think because they seem to be easy to negotiate discounts with as we buy their iSeries and pSeries.

ThinkPads seem to be very good laptop's until our Windows boys stick all the other s/w on them!

But seriously, a good laptop. Dunno about desktops.
Old 21 February 2005, 06:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

We moved from Compaq to IBM Thinkcentres and they seem fairly robust and capable from what Ive seen.

Simon
Old 21 February 2005, 07:19 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

We've just moved to IBM too
Old 21 February 2005, 08:24 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

We use H-P/Compaq D530SFFs (now discontinued I believe) at work and we must have over a hundred of them. They seem robust enough.

M
Old 21 February 2005, 09:51 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

What are IBM/HP like for getting warranty work done or support? can you go to them direct or do you have to go through resellers/distributors?

We're having all the motherboards replaced in 50 Dell workstations after we found a dodgy batch. The guys on Dell support are pretty decent, but getting anything done can be like pulling teeth.

I've been in IT for years and I don't want to spend 30 mins convincing someone reading off a screen for diagnostic steps that I've already done all the diagnostics myself.

If they do think something's faulty, then they're there next day with a replacement so I can't fault them for that. Mind you we did pay for it

Stefan
Old 21 February 2005, 10:11 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy

I've been in IT for years and I don't want to spend 30 mins convincing someone reading off a screen for diagnostic steps that I've already done all the diagnostics myself.
That is never going to change I'm afraid, and is probably true of all organisations.

As for support, AFAIK our H-P stuff is covered via the suppliers (Computacenter).

M
Old 21 February 2005, 10:22 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, true. But when I phone them or e-mail them with a list of what I've done, I expect them to use their noggins. When I was diagnosing the m/b fault, I'd already replaced hard disk (and OS), RAM, CPU, everything that wasn't bolted down. I still had to send a PC to them for their "Engineers" to inspect and I've had to spend at least 20-30 mins on the phone re-logging the same fault over the past few months.

I finally ran out of patience today and asked for all the PC's to have m/b's replaced. In their defense they agreed with too much shouting.

Trouble is I've worked in the VAR channel in the past and I'd rather go direct.
Old 21 February 2005, 11:40 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

we had a few problems will dell last year ( 3 contractors sent to a site awaiting a delivery that took 2 weeks ) give your account manager some stick it amazing how much they will budge... they gave me a one to one support person..stunning blonde, and yes I stayed with them

I looked at hp but didn't like the suppliers we had come round,and dell seemed to pull their finger out before I could find a good hp supplier

one more point, do you get routed to the Indian call centre if so have a few words
Old 22 February 2005, 12:24 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

No, we have their Gold support so it's routed to Ireland. Not sure what's worse, trying to communicate Glaswegian to an India or an Irishman ................. sure there's a non-PC joke in there somewhere
Old 22 February 2005, 08:24 AM
ChrisB

Fujitsu-Siemens?

Lifebook laptops are great (IMHO).
Old 22 February 2005, 09:34 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

eew! we had nothing but trouble with Fujitsu-Siemens laptops - they are crap!

Compaq HP evo desktops is what we use, comes with 3year warranty - never had any problems, and if we do call up our local compaq/hp and we get a replacement usually within two days.
Old 22 February 2005, 10:07 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

I don't want to spend 30 mins convincing someone reading off a screen for diagnostic steps that I've already done all the diagnostics myself
LOL Yup, Dhell Ireland & Dhell India can be quite a strain on my sanity sometimes...
Old 22 February 2005, 11:37 AM
King RA
BANNED

Used to have Dell desktops but wanted to buy around 100 pc's at once and IBM did a better deal....so now we use IBM's.

Always and still do use Dell laptops though...C400/D400/D500's e.t.c. Very good and when you know how to work the irish lads into sorting your problem quicktime the support is fine.

Isn't it stupid you keep having to give your name and address to the support team though....they don't seem to hold it on file for some reason (they hold our suppliers which is not good to us!!)
Old 22 February 2005, 12:09 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by ChristianR
eew! we had nothing but trouble with Fujitsu-Siemens laptops - they are crap!

Compaq HP evo desktops is what we use, comes with 3year warranty - never had any problems, and if we do call up our local compaq/hp and we get a replacement usually within two days.
Really? Which models did you have?

Our Lifebook C and E's have been faultless. I couldn't comment on the warranty service as we've not had to use it. The C series that our engineers have take a good hammering too.

<touch wood>
Old 22 February 2005, 03:28 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ozzy
Yeah, true. But when I phone them or e-mail them with a list of what I've done, I expect them to use their noggins. When I was diagnosing the m/b fault, I'd already replaced hard disk (and OS), RAM, CPU, everything that wasn't bolted down. I still had to send a PC to them for their "Engineers" to inspect and I've had to spend at least 20-30 mins on the phone re-logging the same fault over the past few months.

I finally ran out of patience today and asked for all the PC's to have m/b's replaced. In their defense they agreed with too much shouting.

Trouble is I've worked in the VAR channel in the past and I'd rather go direct.
As others have said, all vendors are the same when it comes to 'the scripted responses'.. End of the day, just get the best bang per buck, and accept the aftersales will be a battle!...