Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Any java ui gurus out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2005, 11:14 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any java ui gurus out there?

If so, any ideas on this...

Got a servlet which is trying to load in some source code from a text file, (cobol / java / jcl / asm etc), colorize it according to the rules of that language, (i.e. so it looks like it would in an editor for that language), then output it as an html document. Also inserts hyperlinks on certain keywords and highlights certain areas of text with different coloured backgrounds etc.

At the moment I've got this working by reading the text character by character, and inserting style tags as and when needed. It works, but is a bit slow and clunky, and I can't help feeling that there should be a more elegant way of doing it.

I did wonder about using the swing text / document stuff, and writing a routine to convert the document to html after it had been styled, but not sure if this will work (how do I insert hyperlinks etc around items for example).

Any ideas gratefully received, as google isn't returning much info on the subject....

Thanks,
Iain