Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Permanent Hard Disk Data Erase Tool

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2005, 05:50 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Permanent Hard Disk Data Erase Tool

I'm looking for a tool that will vape the data on a hard drive so well that it will virtually have the same effect on the data as taking the drive out of the machine and burning it!

Suggestions please?

Thanks

WB
Old 28 January 2005, 05:57 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

You need a hard disk degausser, you can get table top versions but I don't know how much they are.
Old 28 January 2005, 06:06 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

find the biggest magnet you can!!!!!! lol (don't try that for real not sure what side effects there are)
Old 28 January 2005, 06:14 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Format it with all Zero's
Old 28 January 2005, 07:44 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

The hard disk degauser sounds like what I'm looking for. Anyone know where I can get one of these?

I'm not keen on formting, even with zero's, as a determined geek can nearly always get back to the data you wanted destroyed in the first place.

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep them coming.

WB
Old 28 January 2005, 08:01 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Formatting isn't good enough, and one pass is worthless anyway. You can get software specifically for the job, but the serious people use a degausser. More serious people degauss the disks, then destroy them
Old 28 January 2005, 08:50 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that overwriting the disk with either all zeros, all ones or a random pattern of zeroes and ones doesn't really erase the data and that an expert can recover a surprising amount of data from a disk that has had this treatment.

To me this seems counter-intuitive, so could an expert please explain (in simplistic terms please) how when reading a byte which is now 11111111 they can tell that it used to be 01000101?

If the disk has been overwritten multiple times (which I suppose utility software can do) and a random bit pattern is used, does this make it more difficult to retreive previous data and would this be secure enough for most peoples' purposes?
Old 28 January 2005, 08:57 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

That sounds serious. What have you been downloading then?

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
I'm looking for a tool that will vape the data on a hard drive so well that it will virtually have the same effect on the data as taking the drive out of the machine and burning it!

Suggestions please?

Thanks

WB
Old 28 January 2005, 09:04 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

Must be **** ?
Old 28 January 2005, 11:02 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Free?

Look for a software package called "Boot and Nuke"

Linux based, and very very good.
Old 29 January 2005, 12:57 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Burr,

Cheers for the tip, will follow this up with the degausing suggestion.

John Catlin, I build PC's for friends and reuse drives to keep the costs down. I am pretty nervous of the nightmare scenario of a computer savvy friend retrieving data off a formatted drive that they ought not to see when I know some of these drives have confidential info on them prior to formatting.

There are too many tools around that do this already relatively easily (eg Norton), hence my concern and post

Hope that helps.

WB
Old 29 January 2005, 08:47 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
I've heard that overwriting the disk with either all zeros, all ones or a random pattern of zeroes and ones doesn't really erase the data and that an expert can recover a surprising amount of data from a disk that has had this treatment.

To me this seems counter-intuitive, so could an expert please explain (in simplistic terms please) how when reading a byte which is now 11111111 they can tell that it used to be 01000101?

If the disk has been overwritten multiple times (which I suppose utility software can do) and a random bit pattern is used, does this make it more difficult to retreive previous data and would this be secure enough for most peoples' purposes?
From what i have read, most of the people who retrieve data from previously formatte/shredded/overwritten with crap hard disk, use disk controllers that allow them to control the movement of the head when its reading the hard disk. They can basically steer the disk head, to reach the data which you thought you had removed. Analogy, imagine a snow plough clearing a road, yeah the road it clear, but the the snow has been pushed to the sides.....the steerable disk head will read the 'snow' from the outer edges of the tracks....
Old 29 January 2005, 08:53 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

wacky.banana - give drop me a pm or email me. I work in computer forensics. We do this kind of thing all day long (the data destruction as well as the data recovery).
Old 29 January 2005, 12:04 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BuRR
wacky.banana - give drop me a pm or email me. I work in computer forensics. We do this kind of thing all day long (the data destruction as well as the data recovery).
i would be interested in the tool/techniques you use to recover/destroy data, could you help ?

Just purely out of interest
Old 29 January 2005, 12:22 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

This util is good at destroying hard-disks apparantly : http://www.hackology.com/programs/hdkp/ginfo.shtml
Old 29 January 2005, 01:51 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

If you are looking to reuse the disks look for a sofwtare tool such as Eraser - this allows you to overwrite the disk with multiple passes thereby rendering data recovery virtually impossible. If you want to read up on it search for cluster tips and data erasing in Google.

tiggers.
Old 29 January 2005, 04:12 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Here's the only thing I would use to safely destroy data on a HDD

We actually go one stage further at work, they are shredded
Old 29 January 2005, 04:48 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

The hard disk degauser sounds like what I'm looking for. Anyone know where I can get one of these?

I'm not keen on formting, even with zero's, as a determined geek can nearly always get back to the data you wanted destroyed in the first place.

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep them coming.

WB
First, if you have a degausser strong enough to wipe a hard drive you'll likely wipe all your tapes, floppies and probably your neighbours' too ( the platters are too well shielded)!!

Second, you would erase the servo track and render the hard drive useless.

As you want to reuse the drives, I suggest http://www.r-wipe.com/. Have used their other products and quite happy with them. Reasonable price and do what they say they do. This utility has the ability to wipe up to 35 times which is supposedly the same level the military use.
Old 29 January 2005, 05:22 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by molko
From what i have read, most of the people who retrieve data from previously formatte/shredded/overwritten with crap hard disk, use disk controllers that allow them to control the movement of the head when its reading the hard disk. They can basically steer the disk head, to reach the data which you thought you had removed. Analogy, imagine a snow plough clearing a road, yeah the road it clear, but the the snow has been pushed to the sides.....the steerable disk head will read the 'snow' from the outer edges of the tracks....
Thanks. That makes sense to me.
Old 30 January 2005, 12:09 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys, been away from the board so only just seen these responses. Once again my thanks for the interest.

Trashman, I take your point on degausers yet StevenCotton seems to be suggesting that this is a viable way forward; so which of you guys is right?

Burr, you have PM when I can find you.

I appreciate the help on this.

WB
Old 30 January 2005, 12:12 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Burr,

YHPM.

Thanks
Old 30 January 2005, 02:03 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys, been away from the board so only just seen these responses. Once again my thanks for the interest.

Trashman, I take your point on degausers yet StevenCotton seems to be suggesting that this is a viable way forward; so which of you guys is right?

WB
googles this: http://www.datalinksales.com/degauss...degaussers.htm which explains what happens. Did find a good link the other week when the subject of wiping came up - it depends on whether or not you want to re-use the drives after wiping. Will try and find the other link as that was from work so may still have it.

If you read sc's replies, he suggested degaussing before you said you would be reusing the drives. He also said

but the serious people use a degausser. More serious people degauss the disks, then destroy them
Old 30 January 2005, 02:14 PM
Bullring
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

WB
WB,

Try this http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/. We use it at work when reallocating laptops to new users. It may provide the level of data destruction you're looking for.

Rich
Old 30 January 2005, 08:37 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Guys,

Thanks for the responses, some good leads to go on.

Cheers

WB
Old 31 January 2005, 09:58 AM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Here you go http://www.actionfront.com/ts_dataremoval.asp good site with good explanations of what is and isn't possible etc.