Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

external hard disk thread - these had firewire, usb2, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2005, 02:35 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default external hard disk thread - these had firewire, usb2, etc...

Can someone help me find a recent thread on here - someone recommended these cool external hard drives which had firewire, usb2, etc on the back.

"DeLacie" or something like that ?

Thinking about plugging one into our server and doing a Ghost backup each night to it.
Old 04 January 2005, 02:54 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

get a DIY hdd enclosure at www.qtds.com. then you can choose your own hdd.

you wont be able to do a ghost image from source (PCs or servers) to the external hdd enclosure. you will have to ghost the image into another PC, and then copy the image into the hdd enclosure.
Old 04 January 2005, 03:18 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

suba, you sure there's no support for usb2 drives under DOS (or whatever OS ghost uses)

Could I plug the external into server#2
Ghost server#1 onto the above ? (external = mapped net drive?)
Old 04 January 2005, 04:28 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazV
suba, you sure there's no support for usb2 drives under DOS (or whatever OS ghost uses)

Could I plug the external into server#2
Ghost server#1 onto the above ? (external = mapped net drive?)
no can do! i think it's because USB need a "host". the only way to do it is via a USB to USB laplink type cable (not the normal usb to usb straight cable), and you will need 2 "host" (ie 2 computers). the ghost DOS drivers will support this.

so it will be USB to USB, ghosting from one PC/server to another PC/server as an image, then copy the image into the usb external hdd.
Old 04 January 2005, 10:21 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

ah bugger - may as well get an external scsi instead, to go with the internal scsi drives on the server!
Old 05 January 2005, 10:44 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazV
ah bugger - may as well get an external scsi instead, to go with the internal scsi drives on the server!
They are called Lacie http://www.lacie.com/uk/
Old 06 January 2005, 07:22 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Don't lash your backups, buy a proper backup application and a proper backup device.
Expensive I know but hopefully you'll never have to find out how good they are....
Old 06 January 2005, 10:05 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Hank, we already have the 2 scsi drives in a raid formation - and do a daily backup to dvd-rw

Which backup device and application do you use ?
Old 06 January 2005, 09:52 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

We've got a centralised backup system now running on a Unix platform but it handles many hundreds of servers and terrabytes of data every night. The tape jukebox for one of the nodes is bigger than my lounge!!

For single server sites I've done, it's been the Computer Associates software products (several name changes but basically Arcserve) with DLT devices and tapes but that can get very pricey.

This may sound stupid but what's your primary reason for backups?
Is it to cover stupid users deleting files, do you just need the data to be "somewhere safe" and accessible or is it that you need to have the facility to back up and running quickly in the event of a catstrophic failure?
You'll have a bit of all three but what your primary requirements are (and cost) should drive how you do it.

As long as you're doing your daily backup (system/data or both?), securing it and sending one off site or home with someone now and again, you're probably doing OK with what you've got.
BUT, how would you be if you went in tomorrow and the server had disintegrated overnight or you lost access to the office?

Could you work without the server and only data? Do you need the server? Would you need to go to another site? Could you work without technology for a while? Would a laptop and your backup disk be OK? Can your laptop even read your backup disk?

As well as backups, we have a production site and a disaster recovery site, everything is replicated from one to the other maybe several times a day and all the hardware has a DR partner. The emphasis we have is getting working again very quickly after a failure, the backups are more for archival and file retrieval than for complete system restores.

It's good you're thinking about it because too many people learn the backup lesson one failure too late..!! Drop me a mail with your circumstances if you want to (and excuse the w@nk expression) "take this offline"...
Old 06 January 2005, 11:10 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

If the server got toasted tomorrow I don't have any means to get it up and running WITHIN HOURS, which is important to the company (manufacturing)

Currently I would have take the time consuming approach to manually reinstall Win2k and Win2k server, manually config DNS and DHCP and then restore the user's data of backup DVD-R that are taken off-site.

What I need is something I can take in and restore the hard disk entirely, eg. OS, settings and all. Hence why I mentioned GHOST

There's 2 servers, each 40GB SCSI