Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Recommend a PC bits supplier.

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2004, 10:39 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommend a PC bits supplier.

I've finally had enough with Overlclockers.co.uk, they're great as long as nothing goes wrong with the order - otherwise they are bloody awful quite frankly, ignore email, phone lines 'too busy', generally don't seem to give a stuff. The biggest joke is, if you query anything regarding service on their forums, they lock the thread straight away... So if you can't get through on email, or phone, how the hell else are you s'posed to contact them! (rant over).

I've used overclock.co.uk a couple of times, they seem ok, but anyone else recommend one? As I have a new build to do soon for my father, and want to get stuff at a good price, but also know I will get a good service.

On a more positive note, DABS recently messed up, but corrected it straight away, all over email, with out a hitch.

Cheers, Alex
Old 13 December 2004, 10:47 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Ebuyer are just as crap I'm sorry to say.
Old 13 December 2004, 10:50 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Ebuyer are just as crap I'm sorry to say.
I think they are all as bad as each other when something goes wrong. Remember these companies are working on absolutely tiny margins (£20 for a laptop, £2 for a processor) so they have to cut back somewhere and unfortunately customer service is one of the easiest places to cut back on.

In my experience with these companies they are all pretty good until something goes wrong. Personally I have had brilliant service from ebuyer and a nightmare with Dabs in the past.
Old 13 December 2004, 10:59 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JoeyDeacon
I think they are all as bad as each other when something goes wrong. Remember these companies are working on absolutely tiny margins (£20 for a laptop, £2 for a processor) so they have to cut back somewhere and unfortunately customer service is one of the easiest places to cut back on.
Mmm dunno about that. Bought our PC from Aria computers in Manchester who could give lessons in customer service and support when things go wrong. Just brilliant. Also remember they have to act within the law. Customer support isn't a choice.

In my experience with these companies they are all pretty good until something goes wrong. Personally I have had brilliant service from ebuyer and a nightmare with Dabs in the past.
So I've generalised about ebuyer maybe. Glad you've had brilliant support.
Old 13 December 2004, 11:01 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

May well be true...

As for margins - don't think they are as tiny as you think, but anyway, thats no excuse for bad service.

I guess it is suck it and see then, and if they mess up badly, just stop using them.
Old 13 December 2004, 11:18 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrEvil

As for margins - don't think they are as tiny as you think, but anyway, thats no excuse for bad service.
Trust me the margins are as tiny as I think. I don't want to explain exactly how I know but I just checked the margins on a IBM Thinkpad R50E 1.40GHZ 256MB 30GB 15"TFT DVDCD-RW available on ebuyer for £567.86 and they are making less than £10 for every one they sell.
Old 13 December 2004, 11:23 AM
ChrisB

Ebuyer have been good for me to date but Dabs made a right dogs dinner of an order for me a few years ago (they shipped the wrong item and every time I returned it, they just sent exactly the same item back out to me). That said, I have used them recently and all went well.

I tend to use Overclockers these days but that's because I can call in and buy what I want over the counter. Alex, I'll collect your order for you for a fee
Old 13 December 2004, 11:27 AM
ChrisB

Margin sample on a P4 3.0Ghz Prescott.

One of Intel's UK distributors - £97.75 + VAT
OCuk - £102.95 + VAT

Better on a P4 EE 3.4Ghz (LGA)

Distie - £538.98
OCUk - £619.95

Doubt they've sold many of them though!
Old 13 December 2004, 11:33 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

ebuyer arnt too bad i complained a about poor delivery times i got free delivery next tim i ordered
Old 13 December 2004, 11:44 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Margin sample on a P4 3.0Ghz Prescott.

One of Intel's UK distributors - £97.75 + VAT
OCuk - £102.95 + VAT

Better on a P4 EE 3.4Ghz (LGA)

Distie - £538.98
OCUk - £619.95

Doubt they've sold many of them though!
Yeah, I found you pay a premuim for buying from OCuk, but thats usually when they are the only ones with stock.

As for collecting orders for a fee - LOL - the main benefit would be knowing you answer your phone/email Chris!

TBH, won't use them again, plus I've spread the word at work, so thats at least another 10 people that won't use them - average spend of about 2-3K per year per person (we're all IT geeks ).

BTW, even emailed SPIE and got no reply... Its a real shame, all it would have taken was at least them to acknowledge an email and say they were looking into it...
Old 13 December 2004, 12:03 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Dr Evil,

Try www.megabytes.co.uk. (Their web site can be out of date) I have used them for years, prices are normally very close to online retailers, with the added bonus if something goes wrong you can take it straight back. They get my seal of approval.
Old 13 December 2004, 12:05 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sith
Dr Evil,

Try www.megabytes.co.uk. (Their web site can be out of date) I have used them for years, prices are normally very close to online retailers, with the added bonus if something goes wrong you can take it straight back. They get my seal of approval.
Thanks Sith
Old 13 December 2004, 12:26 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

www.aria.co.uk

I had an order screwed up once and they answered the phone and sorted it all out there and then and sent the correct items. They didn't want the incorrect items back either.

Cheers

Ian
Old 13 December 2004, 12:35 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I second Aria, not always the cheapest, but the service is good, and quick delivery. You get what you pay for in this world !
Old 13 December 2004, 12:42 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ebuyer are just as crap I'm sorry to say
Don't be sorry M8, I agree 100% with you - Bought a laptop from them, developed a fault so I then returned it to them, nearly 2 months later I still haven't got it back their returns policy is a joke - they have sent it back to the manufacturer in the USA for repair!

Cheers
Old 13 December 2004, 12:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.scan.co.uk
www.simply.co.uk
http://ukpc.com/
http://comparestoreprices.co.uk/computer-parts.asp

Im not sure how good some of these are, but you can see if they are competetive between themselves.

Tony
Old 13 December 2004, 01:41 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Hmm well I have used Overclockers loads as you know Alex and not had a problem although I did get a ban from the forum after reccomending DVD shrink to someone lol.

Overclock are ok but had a bit of a nightmare with some stuff I needed to return.
Ebuyer are about the same as above but seemed to have sorted out their delivery times a little better.
Scan well I gave up using them.(Mr Footlong might comment if he sees this re his 2 busted Geforce SLI cards)
Aria totally fobbed me off when I had a problem with a PSU on a Shuttle so refuse to use them.I had a few arguments with their technical manager(lol what a joke).
Megabytes are ok as they are in Worcester Park and are regulars at the PC Fair in Croydon(if you want to come with me next Sunday you can Alex just call me)But I find that their prices arent that great and some of the employees can be really arsey.
Dabs I have never used so cant comment.

Think that about covers the big players lol.

As an example re PC Fair prices(some is tat some are good deals) I got a Pioneer 108 OEM burner for 47 quid a few weeks ago and the cheapest I could find it online was £60 plus.

Steve
Old 13 December 2004, 01:53 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Steve Lawson
Hmm well I have used Overclockers loads as you know Alex and not had a problem although I did get a ban from the forum after reccomending DVD shrink to someone lol.

Overclock are ok but had a bit of a nightmare with some stuff I needed to return.
Ebuyer are about the same as above but seemed to have sorted out their delivery times a little better.
Scan well I gave up using them.(Mr Footlong might comment if he sees this re his 2 busted Geforce SLI cards)
Aria totally fobbed me off when I had a problem with a PSU on a Shuttle so refuse to use them.I had a few arguments with their technical manager(lol what a joke).
Megabytes are ok as they are in Worcester Park and are regulars at the PC Fair in Croydon(if you want to come with me next Sunday you can Alex just call me)But I find that their prices arent that great and some of the employees can be really arsey.
Dabs I have never used so cant comment.

Think that about covers the big players lol.

As an example re PC Fair prices(some is tat some are good deals) I got a Pioneer 108 OEM burner for 47 quid a few weeks ago and the cheapest I could find it online was £60 plus.

Steve
Indeed I do Steve

I guess its just that time of year, there have been several threads on the OCuk forums about lack of email/phone contact from them. I guess I should just put it down to the wrong time of year, but just pishes me off a bit that even after 4 working days I still have no reply, not even to ask if all is sorted.

I might take you up on that offer of this Sunday mate, would be good to catch up in person, rather than via UT'04

Speak to you soon mate, Alex
Old 13 December 2004, 02:15 PM
ChrisB

I guess its just that time of year, there have been several threads on the OCuk forums about lack of email/phone contact from them. I guess I should just put it down to the wrong time of year, but just pishes me off a bit that even after 4 working days I still have no reply, not even to ask if all is sorted.
This ammused me:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...eadid=17335460

Old 13 December 2004, 02:19 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Me too, there was another one in the general h/w forum.

Its just bad practice to not even respond or set-up an auto-response to say due to high volumes of orders etc we are running behind blah blah..

Anyway.. I've gotta give them at least one more chance, got three items to RMA due to faults, so let see how they do with that.
Old 13 December 2004, 05:30 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OcUK customer support mainly just seems patchy. The couple of times I've used it they've been a bit off-hand, but more than fair - even replaced a used motherboard with a new one when they didn't (legally) have to. But I've known a couple of others who have also sworn not to use them. The impression I get is that of most GPs: too many patients, not enough time. Spie needs to spend less on cars, and more on extra staff methinks...

But the fact is, I've not heard of any other company with a comparable range whose reputation is even that high - Dabs for instance are appalling. Until they p*ss me about (and they haven't in four years) I'll keep trading with them.

M
Old 13 December 2004, 05:47 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

I ordered some stuff from e-buyer a week gone Sunday. They said delivery date was Thursday (the 9th). I'm still waiting for the stuff, and I've had no e-mail explanation why.

I mailed them on Saturday to ask what was going on (1 of the bits in the order is a Xmas present for someone, and if it's possibly out of stock, I can still get one somewhere else if they give me enough notice), I got an automated response saying they'll reply in 2 working days. Pah, poor service if you ask me.

First, and maybe last time I use them.

Ordered something from Overclockers on the same day, postie put a note thro my door on Thursday saying it needed a signature. Picked it up Friday. Good service. However, when I was going to order a new PSU from there, they wanted £8.50 plus VAT delivery from Amtrak (who I've read are very poor). I bought from a more expensive place, but with cheaper delivery. Not being a cheapskate, just the principle.

Microdirect were very good (for the PSU). Came dead quick, and like I said, cheaper postage than OC. I'd recommend them.

All these 3 companies are my first time dealings with them. Read into my post what you will.

Andy.
Old 13 December 2004, 05:57 PM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

microdirect is a 5 minute drive and aria a 10 minute drive for me.. none of this postage malarky for me! had good service from both!
saying that i've just bought a laptop from www.cclonline.com so I just hope that goes ok.
Old 13 December 2004, 06:35 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

E-buyer have just e-mailed me to say they are shipping my package, and should arrive by the delivery date I was given.

This I must see, as the delivery date was last Thursday

Andy.
Old 13 December 2004, 06:46 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

I've always used www.Novatech.co.uk, they seem good on prices.
Old 13 December 2004, 07:53 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Walwal
I bought from a more expensive place, but with cheaper delivery.

You do realise that company B has simple shifted part of the shipping cost on to the item cost to make it look like shipping is cheaper, right? Just as those companies that offer "free delivery" have simply added transport costs to the item price? All that matters is the total.

M
Old 13 December 2004, 08:21 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
You do realise that company B has simple shifted part of the shipping cost on to the item cost to make it look like shipping is cheaper, right? Just as those companies that offer "free delivery" have simply added transport costs to the item price? All that matters is the total.

M
My post didn't come over as it should have. The PSU at OC was about £5 cheaper than Microdirect, but when they both added their respective delivery charges, Microdirect was a couple of quid cheaper overall. And at the time I bought it, the PSU at OC was on special offer with £5 off their normal price.

Like I said, I wasn't being a cheapskate buying from MD for the sake of £2, but I think £8.50 plus Vat for delivery from OC is scandalous. Fair enough, it's from a recognised private courier in Amtrak, as opposed to MD's Royal Mail, but it still got here in first class condition from MD, for less delivery costs.

Andy.
Old 13 December 2004, 11:04 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
OcUK customer support mainly just seems patchy. The couple of times I've used it they've been a bit off-hand, but more than fair - even replaced a used motherboard with a new one when they didn't (legally) have to. But I've known a couple of others who have also sworn not to use them. The impression I get is that of most GPs: too many patients, not enough time. Spie needs to spend less on cars, and more on extra staff methinks...

But the fact is, I've not heard of any other company with a comparable range whose reputation is even that high - Dabs for instance are appalling. Until they p*ss me about (and they haven't in four years) I'll keep trading with them.

M
I know what you mean, as I said I'll give them another chance, but well post the Xmas season. Plus I have the stuff to RMA anyhow.

They do need to sort out their email responses (ie. respond) though, even if it is an automated response.
Old 14 December 2004, 12:32 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

My stuff from OCuK has arrived the next day with Amtrack. Not had cause to complain before.

Alex, if you see Steve say Hi for us please. Steve, if your reading, Hi (just getting back into circulation.)
Old 14 December 2004, 10:42 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

another yah boo suck to ebuyer and a thumbs up to novatech and microdirect