Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

printing out a pic from the net ??

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2004, 08:20 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default printing out a pic from the net ??

Have seen a picture off a motorbike within a website that I would love to save and have it enlarged,realisticly what is the max size I could have a saved picture enlarged to from a picture saved from the net ??

ideally would prefer to have it poster size - possible ?? the picture on the net is a full screen image.

and lastly, obviously the maxsize I could print on my own printer is A4, so if i were to save it to disc, is there anywhere that could print it out to poster size for me ?? boots in store printing ??

a few question there !! anyone help me out ??

cheers,
john
Old 17 November 2004, 09:10 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

The size you can enlarge it to really depends on the resolution of the original (downloaded) picture. The optimum resolution for web pages is 72dpi, whereas for prints a resolution of 300dpi or higher is desirable, particularly when enlarging.

Any decent photo developing shop should be able to offer poster prints. If Boots etc don't then try the likes of Jessops. You might need a mortgage to pay for it though
Old 17 November 2004, 09:26 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Default RE.

Originally Posted by Figment
The size you can enlarge it to really depends on the resolution of the original (downloaded) picture. The optimum resolution for web pages is 72dpi, whereas for prints a resolution of 300dpi or higher is desirable, particularly when enlarging.

Any decent photo developing shop should be able to offer poster prints. If Boots etc don't then try the likes of Jessops. You might need a mortgage to pay for it though
Thanks for the reply, the actual pic that I wantted to carry out the enlargment too, was from the following site :

www.digitalartclassics.com/ebay/honda_07.jpg

anyone fancy having a quick look at it and tell me if it would still come out okay if enlarged to poster type size bearing in mind what was mentioned regards resoultion off most web based images ??

anyone know if it is just a case off saving the image to disc and taking it along to the likes off " Boots " etc for enlarging ?? any ideas on price ?? or even any other recommended places that would be able to carry this enlarging out, at a reasonable price ??

thanks again,
john
Old 17 November 2004, 09:42 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Sure... whats the url? And what output size are you hoping for? The url you gave is a good size for the internet.. to re-expand for photo quality you may have hiccoughs.

I would ask the owner for the original personally.

Last edited by Soulgirl; 17 November 2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 17 November 2004, 10:12 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

These might help - thay are nearer 0.8 megapixel - so about 4 inches at decent quality LOL

Old 17 November 2004, 10:21 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Thanks, the final size required was ideally poster size ie. bigger the better , but would settle for a good bit smaller if it was the only way possible,

small problem with asking the website owners for the original image, being that it is an american site, and they are selling waitt for it ?? large, very high quality / priced prints off the images displayed !!

being a typical scotsman !! thought I could possibly find a cheaper way off doing it myself ??!!

anyway, do realise that the more you enlarge the original picture the lower quality the final picture will turn out, but as it is just too be used as more off just a poster image rather than a quality photo image, then not overally bothered about the outright quality off the end result.

will probably just save it to disc then see what one off the printing places can do about enlarging it ??

cheers,
john
Old 17 November 2004, 10:57 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

enlarging is easy.. gettting a decent enlarged picture is a different matter.. I am sure you dont want to see pixles on your enlarged image

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2004, 08:23 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
These might help - thay are nearer 0.8 megapixel - so about 4 inches at decent quality LOL

Great stuff !! still lovely looking bikes arnt they ??!!

will let yous know how I get on.

thanks to all for your kind help, much appreciatted.

john....
Old 20 November 2004, 09:51 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

The image your wanting to print out has a width of 792 pixels and a height of 576 pixels.

When an image is digitised, it no longer has a ‘real world’ size, this can vary depending on the resolution of the output device.

Calculation:

Output size x output device resolution = pixels required.

? x 300dpi = 792 pixels.

so as you can see if your printing out at 300dpi, your not going to get a large image as you ain't got enough pixels in your image.