Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mobile Internet Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2004, 11:06 AM
chump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Internet Recommendations

I need to access the Internet whilst on the move (in the car, in the bog ). I'm looking for the cheapist option (PDA, Mobile Phone). It needs to be full internet access not just text.

Can anyone recommend anything as I'm a little lost?

Someone has recommended one of the latest Ipaq's but how much would one of these cost to run?

I have about £400-500 to spend on Hardware..

Chump
Old 16 November 2004, 04:42 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

When you say full internet, I presume you mean a decent web browser? TBH, none of the mobile browsers are fully able to perfectly handle complex layouts designed for desktop browsers but they give it a pretty good go.

Windows Mobile 2003 PDA's (e.g. iPaq's) have a much improved version of Pocket Internet Explorer, but you'll need an external network connection (such as WiFi or a GPRS mobile) unless you get something like an XDA.

P910i has a version of Opera which features Small Screen Rendering. This reformats content to fit on the screen. You can try this out on their website IIRC.

Palm OS? Don't know the current state of browsing on this platform, maybe someone else can chip in.

The problem with all of these devices is the screen resolution. Full web pages are a pain to navigate when the devices typically run at 320x240 or similar. 640x480 PDAs are coming out now, but you might find that together with a suitable phone, you've exceeded your budget

What exactly do you need to accomplish? We might be able to recommend some more specific hardware.
Old 16 November 2004, 07:08 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Cheap laptop and a wireless data car dlike the Vodafone/Orange 3G cards.

Even if you're not in a 3G area you still get gprs access which isn't that horrendous fo rweb browsing.