Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sygate Firewall and Cisco VPN

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2004, 11:25 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sygate Firewall and Cisco VPN

Calling all the networking gurus out there

I'm planning to do a bit of homeworking and was hoping to get access to the corporate network from home. I've been given some software to install on my machine for a Cisco VPN client. Should just be a case of install the client, add the profile I've been given for the VPN gateway, connect, and login.

However I am concerned that there may be problems with the firewall I run on my home PC, it's the Sygate Personal Firewall (freebie edition). Tried it last night and couldn't get access, but I've since found out the IT bloke had forgotten to set a permission for me to have remote access , that should be sorted now so I will try again tonight.

Anyone running the Cisco VPN client and if so what firewall works best, are there any specific rules I need to set (other than allowing the application access), etc.

Cheers,

Graz
Old 16 November 2004, 07:13 PM
anoble1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check that your firewall is allowing ports tcp 1000, udp 4500 and udp 500. You may need to enable IPSEC over UDP (sometimes called NAT Traversal) on your VPN client. But ask your internal IT guys as the setting needs to match at both ends of the tunnel.

Originally Posted by Graz
Calling all the networking gurus out there

I'm planning to do a bit of homeworking and was hoping to get access to the corporate network from home. I've been given some software to install on my machine for a Cisco VPN client. Should just be a case of install the client, add the profile I've been given for the VPN gateway, connect, and login.

However I am concerned that there may be problems with the firewall I run on my home PC, it's the Sygate Personal Firewall (freebie edition). Tried it last night and couldn't get access, but I've since found out the IT bloke had forgotten to set a permission for me to have remote access , that should be sorted now so I will try again tonight.

Anyone running the Cisco VPN client and if so what firewall works best, are there any specific rules I need to set (other than allowing the application access), etc.

Cheers,

Graz