Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ipaq PPC 2003 Backup Software

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2004, 12:57 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ipaq PPC 2003 Backup Software

Anyone have problems with the backup software in PPC 2003? I have been letting my battery go flat recently, I know I should not but it has been unavoidable. Any way the dam thing refuses to restore from Active Sync. The restore seems to work and I do a soft reset as instructed. The ipaq never boots up fully, it just sits with the boot screen, the progress bar completes but then nothing happens. I have to hard reset to get it going.

Last edited by sillysi; 28 September 2004 at 05:17 PM.
Old 28 September 2004, 05:50 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Use IPAQ backup and save to a memory card - you can restore no worries then. Alternatively download the latest version of Sprite Backup (same as IPAQ backup as HP bought their earlier version) but moer effective coz its newer!
Old 28 September 2004, 06:57 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply but I have already tried to restore from my CF Card backup and I have the same problem. It has always been like this. If I let the battery run flat I have never been able to restore. I have all the BIOS and software updates but none have helped.
Old 29 September 2004, 10:32 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Are you running tom tom?

The IPAQ backup version of sprite will hang as you say if you try to restore the bluetooth driver thats part of tom tom, can't remember the exact file but I found out about it searching around google. If you deselect that file and restore the rest it should work.

Apparantly the latest version of sprite backup resolves this issue......................
Old 29 September 2004, 10:46 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Not TomTom again, good job it keeps me from getting lost. Sounds like this is my problem.

Got this from another forum;

"1. restore backup like usual via Activesync
2 BEFORE the prescribed Softreset after copying the files connect to PPC via PC and delete all TOMTOM NAVIGATOR related files from the PPC's WINDOWS folder
3. perform the softreset - PPC starts now like it should do
4. uninstall TOMTOM Navigator and TOMTOM GPS (I also removed all TOMTOM related entries form the PPCs registry)
5. perform a softreset (if it starts again it has been successful)
6. reinstall TOMTOM applications

To avoid this whole procedure the next time I also made a backup between steps 5. and 6. so I can choose if I want to restore with or without TOMTOM Navigator the next time."

It seems two files are to blame tttoday.dll & ttbtdev.dll which don't restore correctly. It has been reported to TomTom and there response was "it works on ours"!!

So beware if you use TomTom and want to do a restore you may have problems.

Cheers,

Si.

Last edited by sillysi; 29 September 2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 29 September 2004, 02:20 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Just downloaded the latest version of Sprite, full working demo. It works perfectly with TomTom. When I do a restore it shows there were errors restoring the files mentioned above, "sharing violation" but it seems to be able to cope whereas the bundled version with PPC 2003 does not.
Old 29 September 2004, 10:33 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Yup - thought so - not got round to sorting the new version yet but thats what I'd heard! The PPC version of Sprite is very old and one of the first, so like any software really I guess it pays to get the most up to date version...........
Old 29 September 2004, 10:35 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Once the demo of Sprite backup has expired you may as well buy it -- it's only $5 as an upgrade. I went for the "all singing, all dancing" version with the battery monitor and everything, and that was $10, IIRC