Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Outlook Express

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2004, 08:32 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlook Express

Okay thought I would ask in here as I am a little stumped.

I have XP Pro on my home machine and I was running out of space on my C drive and decided to go the whole hog and upgrade to a pair of 300GB SATA jobbies. I used Norton Ghost 2003 to backup my C and D partitions, both on one physical drive, and restore the ghost to a couple of partitions on one of the new drives. Very impressed I was when this worked first time as planned

My problem is that when I went into Outlook Express for the first time all of the mails from my main identity, I have two, were missing??? I have checked the dbx files and they are huge still, inbox at 200MB thereabouts. The other identity has a sum total of 3 emails in it which display properly as expected, typical that it has lost the main identity mails and not the 3 mails from the other

The email storage folder wasn't even on one of the changed disks, it was on my data disk which I left unchanged. I have tried to import the mails back in by copying the storage folder but nothing at all.

Anyone got any ideas?

Mark
Old 15 September 2004, 09:03 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you have to create the same folders in your clean version of OE and then put a dummy email in to activate it. Then you can copy your old messages in from your backup.

I lost my administrator account on Saturday and this was the only way I could restore my messages after that particular calamity.
Old 15 September 2004, 09:08 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Check outlook express is pointed at the correct store folder

Old 15 September 2004, 09:10 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Well I have found a possible solution for this, although I will have to wait until I get home to try it out.

Apparently McAfee Virusscan can cause a corruption in the DBX file, although why this should only occur when I ghost the drive is beyond me, there is a tool called DBXtract which can extract the corrupted mails. I'm hoping this can sort out the problems of a very smooth ghosting.

If it works I will let you know.

Mark
Old 15 September 2004, 09:12 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Yep, Figment it is definitely pointing in the right direction as I already store this on my data drive. Used to be to save space on my C drive but not really an issue now.

XRS I will give that a go is the DBXtract program doesn't do it's stuff.

Thanks,

Mark