Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How to transfer a big file via floppy drive?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2004, 12:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How to transfer a big file via floppy drive?

Ancient but faithful laptop (Win98) without CD ROM drive needs to receive 5MB file for my cable modem (Motorola 4200 Surfboard). Then (hopefully) I can use it to access internet. Have found some small USB drivers but of course I need the Ethernet ones...

Previously I'd do the big file transfer via WinZip and its Concatenate function; but WinZip 9 itself is now 2.3MB, so I can't even put that on the laptop!

(I tried to connect it through a Laplink cable to my XP Home desktop but no joy.)

Assuming it's a concatenate prog I need, anyone know of a free one that fits on a floppy? Or any other ideas?

Thanks

Brendan
Old 29 August 2004, 01:09 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.softdd.com/filesplt/ @ 500k it should make a little joiner app for you at the other end.

J
Old 29 August 2004, 01:38 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jules - just tried it, selected the file to split, and got I/O error 32, which is not defined anywhere... The only thing I can think of is that it says there is no location for the split files to be saved, and it won't let me set one (as it's a trial version). Any suggestions?
Old 29 August 2004, 01:59 PM
ChrisB

Google for a thing called Chainsaw.
Old 29 August 2004, 02:00 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

x-copy? IIRC is a dos copy tool that can use multiple floppy spanning to transfer stuff.

http://www.computerhope.com/xcopyhlp.htm

So xcopy (folder) to a: and it should prompt for more floppies when the 1st is full etc.
Old 29 August 2004, 02:00 PM
ChrisB

Actually, here you go Brendan:

http://www.schmeusser.siw.de/software/chainsaw.html
Old 29 August 2004, 10:21 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

That chainsaw app is BRILLIANT! (And quite apt for me ). Thanks Chris!

Failed at the next hurdle though - drivers didn't want to install as not enough RAM (24, needs 32) and processor not fast enough (100, needs 133)

Ah well, back to the drawing board...
Old 29 August 2004, 11:29 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

How about good old DOS zip? I used to use that to copy things across multiple floppies? Or some of these: http://www.astro.livjm.ac.uk/courses...PLIN/ZIP95.HTM ?

Steve.
Old 29 August 2004, 11:37 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Xcopy...

Designed for DOS & 1mb RAM...
Old 30 August 2004, 02:00 AM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

I think he means the USB drivers dont fit into ram, not the copy program

Brendan, Im guessing you have a desktop machine? How about networking your desktop and latop together via cross over ethernet or parrallel/serial cable (if its too old to have onboard ethernet) ? Or two wireless/bluetooth usb adaptors (check for win98 drivers first)? and using internet connection sharing on the desktop?

Jules
Old 30 August 2004, 10:17 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Just use Winzip and split the archive.
Old 30 August 2004, 10:33 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Jules, this was my Holy Grail; http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131842

...connection of old laptop to new desktop via laplink (as you suggest).

I never did get it sorted, and I've forgotten what I did now. All I remember is that it was constantly asking for a password which I couldn't work out - I set up user accounts, set passwords, put in any password ever used on the machine, deleted them, and it still wouldn't accept.

The situation is slightly changed now as I have acquired a network card for the laptop, with an Ethernet and 10BaseT (?) coax socket, and an Ethernet cable (that's the one with the phone or RJ45 plug, right?). However, for the desktop I don't have a network card/socket . There is an Ethernet socket on the back of the cable modem, but as said above, the modem driver refuses to install as it says "Checking for minimum requirements", and then tells me to **** off as my laptop is apparently prehistoric. (I imagine snotty perfectionist teenagers in Motorola's R&D dept saying "We Don't Do Pentium 1s".)

Either I get someone round here who actually knows what they're doing (you're starting to understand my level of competence here, aren't you ), or I dedicate an entire Saturday to trial-and-error(-and-asking-Scoobynet), or I wait for another month or six before deciding on the next step, which would be some sort of network around the house and buying routers etc.

At least I had one success on Saturday - got the wife's internet working again. After spending an hour and a half or more digging around ZoneAlarm, convinced it was the problem, I finally found out that someone (guaranteed to be the shop) had set her IE to read from a proxy server; one click to switch it off and all was wonderful.
Old 30 August 2004, 11:05 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

can't winzip span multiple disks?
Old 30 August 2004, 01:07 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Take the hard drive out and connect it to PC IDE cable.

copy any progs/dat required and then put back.
Old 30 August 2004, 01:50 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Oh and you need a 44 pin to 40 pin convertor.
Old 30 August 2004, 02:46 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Guys, Brendan now has the drivers transfered, but they wont install so please stop giving him ideas on transfering them

Brendan, I think your easiest route would be to buy,beg or borrow an ethernet card for the pc (around 10 quid) and get a "cross over RJ45 cable". Both can be obtained from PC world (probably for a little more than online stores) if you want to sort this out today, if you're not using a hub/switch, which you wont be, make sure you get a cross over cable.

Now, all you have to do then is plug the cable modem into the PC and set up internet connection sharing for that device. It will auto-setup the settings on your PC, probably changing the IP address to 192.168.0.1. All you have to do then is give your laptop the IP of 192.168.0.2 and the gateway of 192.168.0.1 and it will magically find the internet

Before you go out and buy all the above that you can assign the IP on the laptop to check the IP stuff installs correctly (wouldnt want to run outta ram again)

I've not setup DCC (direct cable connection) in about 8 years, so I wouldnt really be able to comment on the problems with the password etc that you were getting before. But if you go the ethernet route, there wont be any probs with passwords etc.

HTH

Jules
Old 31 August 2004, 09:24 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Thanks jules - I'll go find an Ethernet card. Expect me to be back at some point asking more dumb questions (probably on a new thread so I don't waste the time of lots of helpful people trying to suggest file splitters )