Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Tool for taking 'snapshot' of an ASPX website?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2004, 10:14 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool for taking 'snapshot' of an ASPX website?

Does anyone know of a free tool that would allow me to take a 'snapshot' of an ASPX website so that I can then browse it locally on my hard drive?

Obviously each page would be converted to flat HTML, and none of the interactive functionality would be preserved.

Could save me a lot of time and effort!

Cheers.
Old 09 August 2004, 10:30 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Never met MarkO, but believe we have a mutual acquaintance (who has spoken highly, and funnily of you)

Anyway, his Webreaper software is a very tidy piece of coding. Have used it myself a couple of times to store the odd website when I've wanted to access the information offline (doing some development stuff). Should cater for your needs

Just a quick thanks to MarkO (in case he reads this) for writing a top piece of software
Old 09 August 2004, 11:38 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the suggestion. I've given it a whirl and it seems to have fallen at the same hurdle as both HTTrack and WebZip - possible the form based login using HTTP 'POST'? Sure there's some way round this ...

WebReaper is a useful bit of free software though!
Old 11 August 2004, 07:16 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

<blush>

ASPX websites are complex to 'reap' because they often use server side/encrypted view states which means that several pages can have the same URL from the client's point of view.

Which site is it you're trying to download?

One other option might be to try the opensource command-line tool wget. Okay, it's a competitor of mine but... Anyway, since I've not done any new work on Webreaper for about 2 years, there's a chance wget might do some stuff WR can't. So worth a look. Mind you, if you can fathom out all the command-line options you're a better man than I am.