Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anybody have an Apple Titanium Powerbook?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2004, 10:36 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody have an Apple Titanium Powerbook?

If so how hot does your mains adaptor get? I picked mine up last night after it had been on 45 minutes and it was so hot I was surprised it hadn't melted! Is this normal or is it about to self-destruct?
Old 29 July 2004, 01:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've got two of the original TiBooks here, well, will be when the team come in later today. I'll check the heat of the adaptor when they have been plugged in for a while.

Do you have all of the cord pulled out, or is some of it still wound in? if so that could be part of the cause of heat, then again, it could just be the adaptor itself, I'll check and let you know later.
Old 29 July 2004, 01:23 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep got one too and mine runs very hot also, sometimes worse than others, never had a meltdown though and it gets used a fair bit!
Old 29 July 2004, 01:44 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Cheers Markus, Gary.

The cord's pulled out all of the way but I was amazed how hot it got and was curious to know if this was normal or if it was going to face meltdown.

Also, do either of you use external monitors with your powerbook? If so, is there an easier way to detect the monitor without having to go to System Preferences, then click on monitors, then click the detect button? I take the laptop home every night, but when I get back into the office in the morning I have to go through that procedure so I was wondering if there was a shortcut to doing it. I used to get a little 'displays' icon on the top menu bar near the volume control/clock, but that disappeared as soon as I upgraded OS X using the system update!
Old 29 July 2004, 02:13 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Maybe a nifty little Applescript can sort this for you? I'm sure there will be a way though.
Old 29 July 2004, 04:16 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Maybe a nifty little Applescript can sort this for you? I'm sure there will be a way though.
Angrynorth, I've just been fiddling about with it (system preferences that is!) and if you already have the monitor attached and are using it, a tick-box appears in the displays panel which lets you access displays/detect new displays from the menu bar.

Whether it will reappear after I've re-booted is another matter.

Do any of you use bluetooth? For some reason my powerbook will not connect to anything via bluetooth since updating OS X via the software update. Now I can't synch the diary on my P800 with that on the computer!
Old 29 July 2004, 04:21 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Aye I use a D-link usb key for my bluetooth, it works like a dream. Can't see any other BT complaints on any other forums either for the last Panther update (10.3.4) although in the next update due in a week or so, they have asked developers to look at BT for an update. So it may be fixed then.

You could try repairing disk permissions, that might fix it, or trash the bluetooth preferences.
Old 29 July 2004, 04:32 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Cool, I've found a fountain of apple knowledge!

It's weird, the powerbook worked like a dream before the software update. Out of the box it connected to my mobile phone with no messing about, it must have a BT ariel inside it. I'll trash the bluetooth preferences (good idea!) and if that doesn't work see if the BT update fixes it. I've never heard of repairing disk permissions but will look it up in the help section. Thanks very much.
Old 29 July 2004, 04:51 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

There's quite a few Apple bod's on here, so I'm sure that any OSX q's you might have can be answered pretty quickly.

If its a factory BT it shouldn't have any problems. Will it work with any other device?

As for disk permissions, they are good to do once every so often. Its a bit like de-fragging the disk but not

Anyway, really simple to do.

Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Once the app opens pick the disk with the OS on it, make sure the first aid tab is selected and click "Repair Disk Permissions" If you've not done it before it might take a bit but its a nice maintenance task anyway.
Old 29 July 2004, 05:25 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I also have the 'official' D-Link BT USB thing, and am running 10.3.4 with no problem (seems ok under 10.3.5 and latest build of 10.4 as well)

Disk permissions, grrrrrrr, should NEVER have to repair them, bloody updates! Must say I've only ever done this once or twice (and i've been using X for, oooh, a few years now) and it does fix problems now and then.

The sync thing is possibly a disk permissions problem. I had some odd quirk last week and the perm repair did fix it. Then again, I have been known to just reimage the system if I can't be arsed to work out the problem
Old 29 July 2004, 08:45 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I've had a few of these all seem to get very hot !

Oh Markus I need to talk to you actually about mac Administrator. I'll try and give you a call tomorrow if you are in the office as I need to pick your brains to really understand where MacAdministrator differs from Apple Remote Desktop 2.0

AllanB
Old 30 July 2004, 11:22 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much Angrynorth, Markus et. al.

I'll run the disk permissions thingy just before I go for lunch and leave it running, I never knew there was such a thing.

That displays icon has stayed in the menu bar, attaching my monitor this morning was really easy and a lot quicker!

Old 31 July 2004, 09:17 AM
screwdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by minor_threat
That displays icon has stayed in the menu bar, attaching my monitor this morning was really easy and a lot quicker!

Put your PB to sleep.
Attach extra monitor.
Wake it up.

You can do this either with the lid staying open or keep it shut for a single external monitor - so long as you have external keyboard and/or mouse.

Screwd.