Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Backup Solution for pc server and mac server

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2004, 12:57 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Solution for pc server and mac server

Need to backup a mac server and pc server than runs win2k and exchange.

Have about 200GB of data, unit needs to have capacity to do full backup onto one tape or use an autoloader.

need something cheap but reliable..
Old 30 June 2004, 02:41 PM
ChrisB

Dantz Retrospect would be my suggestion.

AFAIK, it's big in the Mac world. I know the Windows version (6.5) will quite happily do Exchange etc (I've got customers using it). The Windows server version will do Windows, Mac, Linux etc. You need the Multi Server version for that. That supports a single server (ie the one with the tape drive) but unlimited clients to back-up from.

Will backup to tape, NAS etc. Supports autoloaders and libraries with serial execution as standard or you can add the Advance Tape Support option for parallel execution over multiple drives.

HTH,

Chris.
Old 30 June 2004, 02:45 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

200GB + cheap. Think you might struggle with that, although it depends what you regard as "cheap"?

We have 160GB capacity DLT drives here, but they were a few grand for a 2 drive 1U rack mounted one. That's compressed capacity and you'd have to swap tapes unless you plump for the autoloader version. Expect that to be around £3K for a single DLT autoloader supporting about 8 tapes.

Stefan
Old 30 June 2004, 03:27 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

"my" cheap is more than £5k, we don't to DLT anymore - old and crap technology

Looking at LTO stuff such as Ultrium.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:42 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Rightho, HP Ultrium 460 external is around £2700 and gives 200/400gig of capacity.

ChrisB, I assume I can get the win version of retrospect, attach drive to PC server and us e their Mac agent to backup Mac server ?

Obviously retrospect was mac first so do you think it would be better to have the tape drive on the mac server instead.
Old 30 June 2004, 05:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

WWSD. I use Retrospect 6.0 Pro for Windows. It's the Multi-Server version (ie the version that allows you to backup servers)

I use it to backup the 2 PC servers, 1 Mac Server, 3 PC clients and 3 Macintosh Clients.

You simply install the server side on a PC somewhere, and then install the client on the other servers/workstations, and then configure the server. Easy as pie.

So with regards to the drive, yeah, hang it off the PC, and then simply have retrospect client running on the Mac, the server will back it up.

Reason I have a PC version of Retrospect instead of a Mac version is that my backup server was designated to be a PC, rather than a mac.
Old 30 June 2004, 06:13 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Cheers Markus, sounds like a plan !

Originally Posted by Markus
WWSD. I use Retrospect 6.0 Pro for Windows. It's the Multi-Server version (ie the version that allows you to backup servers)

I use it to backup the 2 PC servers, 1 Mac Server, 3 PC clients and 3 Macintosh Clients.

You simply install the server side on a PC somewhere, and then install the client on the other servers/workstations, and then configure the server. Easy as pie.

So with regards to the drive, yeah, hang it off the PC, and then simply have retrospect client running on the Mac, the server will back it up.

Reason I have a PC version of Retrospect instead of a Mac version is that my backup server was designated to be a PC, rather than a mac.

Trending Topics

Old 30 June 2004, 06:32 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WWSD,

Yeah DLT is old now, and I didn't want to mention anything else until you mentioned a budget.

Check what the data rates are across the LAN or even if the Retrospect software can stream data from multiple servers. Only really and issue if you have a small'sh backup window.

Stefan
Old 30 June 2004, 07:07 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ozzy
WWSD,

Yeah DLT is old now, and I didn't want to mention anything else until you mentioned a budget.

Check what the data rates are across the LAN or even if the Retrospect software can stream data from multiple servers. Only really and issue if you have a small'sh backup window.

Stefan
Backup window is huge so not a problem - thanks anyhoo.
Old 30 June 2004, 10:39 PM
ChrisB

Thanks for answering Markus. I was out on-site watching a satellite installer hitting his drill with a hammer...
Old 01 July 2004, 11:06 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I've just bought an Ultrium 460 drive from Dell.

Powervault 114T LTO. 400GB (when compresed). The device is a 2U rack mount and has 2 drive bays for Umtrium devices.

I think all in it costs us just under 4k (including my discount). This also included 10 tapes, backup Exec 9 and the SCSI3 cable.

It should arrive in a few days Toys, Toys, Toys

Darren

Last edited by darlodge; 01 July 2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02 July 2004, 04:45 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Ultrium 460. Installed one on our exchange server a couple of months back. Using Veritas Backup Exec as the software.