Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Driv3r

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2004, 12:49 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Driv3r

I got this yesterday. It's not supposed to be out 'til Friday but my local game shops (Slough) decided to release it yesterday

It looks pretty good so far but the car handling does take some getting used to again. The graphics are very good too (xbox) and the game is quite hard.

Anyone else managed to get it yet?

Paul
Old 21 June 2004, 01:06 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My copy arrived this morning

Have only had short go on 'take a drive' i've tried a few different vehicles out, it's good that all or most vehicles can be selected straight away without having to earn them, but one think i've noticed so far is that some of faster cars/bikes have trouble getting away from even the slowest of panda cars (i was flat out in the lambo and what looked like a Renault 5 was catching up ) Also i couldn't find a beach anywhere when out in a boat in miami

Still it is more realistic than GTA although it's very similar, will take a while to get used to controls & handling, not sure i like the aiming with the gun and I found out you can't just go tearing through the lamposts either lol.
Old 21 June 2004, 01:23 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I don't mind the aiming of the gun I've seen worse.

The lamp posts do get in the way a bit lol The bike is pretty though. I fell off it yesterday doing a stoppie then got up and got run over
Old 21 June 2004, 02:33 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Love it, great game Nice little stopgap until GTA:San Andreas comes out
Old 21 June 2004, 02:38 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I just can't wait to get home later. Only thing is that I've got to remove a cylinder head first
Old 21 June 2004, 02:54 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I'm hoping my copy arrives this week then!
Old 21 June 2004, 04:30 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Are you lot playing a different game to the one I've seen?

They had the xbox version running in my local Gamestation today, and I was very unimpressed. The gfx are terrible with nasty popups, bad clipping, dull effects, low polygon count for the cars (no nice reflections etc that we've become used to in recent games). It's got very bad collision detection, (I managed to drive through a wall). And to top it off, it's full of bugs. I got it to crash twice in Gamestation, and the one they had running in Game had crashed before I even got to it.

And I'm told (by the people in gamestation) that the ps2 version is worse

I'm giving this one a very wide berth....

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2004, 04:57 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Played this over the weekend.. and tbh it did nothing for me...

The on foot controls are horrendous, climbed into a cop car just as the cop got in the other side and it crashed the console, horrendous popups in places ( more noticable on the trees ) after all the hype and build up this game has been given, I couldnt help but feel dissapointed with it...

Roll on GTA: San Andreas....
Old 21 June 2004, 05:38 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Ian/Mogsi - Ive heard the same things - its been getting a bit of a slagging on the Xbox forums for the reasons that you mention.

Still went and got it today though Need a new game and there is nothing else that takes my fancy at the moment - was looking forward to this and Full Spectrum Warrior but that too has been disappointingly received by some in the States.

So, thought I would just buy Driv3r anyway and see for myself - got it from Game so will take it back if it is pants.

Off to have a go in a minute and will report back with my findings I don't care if there are a view iffy bits of it, as long as it is still fairly payable....will have to see.......
Old 21 June 2004, 06:39 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Well, on my initial play it doesn't seem [t]too[/i] bad....

Graphics look ok to me but agree there is a bit of an issue with pop ups.

Collision detection and similar things seem a bit iffy - got suck 'on' a tree - it was through the middle of the car!!!! I couldn't move back or forwards...

Walking/etc - haven't done much but the targeting may take a bit of getting used to - but it is inherently straightforward if a little cumbersome.

One thing I don't like is when you walk with the left stick, and when you go left/right he strafes or walks sideways - I would prefer it if he would just point the way you aim with the left stick and that you had to do something else to make the guy strafe.

It didn't grab me straight away but I will persevere for a couple of days and see if I get into it - if not it will go back. Not sure if it is a keeper yet.......
Old 21 June 2004, 11:07 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

After a further play I have got through some of the missions and the main issue that's bugging me is the aiming while on foot, I just can't get the hang of the targeting, GTA got round this with auto-targetting, and The Getaway was much better in that respect too. Maybe it will take a while to get used to? it could be that i'm so used to using a mouse & keyboard on PC FPS games!

Anyway IMO the driving engine is spot on, graphically the cars look great as well as the cut scenes but agree that in general it could be sharper, I haven't found any problems with the collision system or any bugs in the game yet?

I have the PS2 version btw
Old 22 June 2004, 08:15 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

was looking forward to this and Full Spectrum Warrior but that too has been disappointingly received by some in the States.
Have to disagree on that front, Full Spectrum Warrior is superb and using up all my time at the moment.. One of the cleanest/original games I have played in a long while....
Old 23 June 2004, 03:06 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

I'm still undecided on Driv3r....

Its certainly not a game that I (will) spend hours on end on.....Tend to play it 1/2 hour/hour burst at the moment....

Originally Posted by Mogsi
Have to disagree on that front, Full Spectrum Warrior is superb and using up all my time at the moment.. One of the cleanest/original games I have played in a long while....
That's interesting.....I'm just gonna go and dig up the comments I had seen on it...........

Edit: Can't find where I read it before......but FSW came across as a love it or hate is game.

Some of the bad points (I think) were that it lacked longetivity, and variety - it sounds like it is a game that is 'on rails'. Apparently, enemies always appear in the same locations etc..

To be fair though, I think many who dissed it have done so because they just presumed it would be a game in the Rainbow Six mode - ie an FPS. And the fact that you don't actually go around shooting at everything yourself disappointed some people - guess they should have found out what the game was about first!!!

In truth, the majority of opinions have been very positive - I was just a little disappointed that there may be some issues with it.

With Driv3r, Ive just got to Nice....if it doesn't grab me in the next couple of days I think I am gonna swap it for FSW.......

Last edited by JohnMcC; 23 June 2004 at 05:09 AM.
Old 23 June 2004, 05:13 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cheddar bob
Anyway IMO the driving engine is spot on, graphically the cars look great as well as the cut scenes but agree that in general it could be sharper, I haven't found any problems with the collision system or any bugs in the game yet?

I have the PS2 version btw
Mines on XBOX.........One issues I have had twice is that I shot someone, they dropped to their knees, and then fell to the floor dead.....

Just as I was turning away, I noticed he was suddenly standing up again, but a little bit closer Then he did the same as before (without me shooting) - dropped to his knees then hit the floor.

He kept doing this indefinitely - was annoying, but it made me laugh as it looked like he was break dancing towards me
Old 23 June 2004, 11:56 AM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Just read the DRIV3R review on Eurogamer. They're normally fair and reliable in their reviews, and they absolutely killed it. Which is a shame, as I was looking forward to it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55870
Old 23 June 2004, 01:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Same with IGN (also usually pretty reliable).

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/525/525181p1.html

Gave it 5.4 out of 10 !!!
Old 24 June 2004, 10:28 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

just got a few levels in and I'm at the bit where I'm shooting up the bar.

help? I've killed all the people but it doesn't seem to end. I've tried running back to the car but it won't let me in and the cops come and arrest me

what am I missing?
Old 24 June 2004, 10:54 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I quite like the nickname it has now got itself,

Driver 3/10
Old 24 June 2004, 12:02 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mickle
just got a few levels in and I'm at the bit where I'm shooting up the bar.

help? I've killed all the people but it doesn't seem to end. I've tried running back to the car but it won't let me in and the cops come and arrest me

what am I missing?
I was lost there too I just completed that stage this morning. You have to shoot the bar etc and get the status bar up to red. I shot everyone first and used the machine gun to go mad
Old 24 June 2004, 12:25 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

I was hoping to hear great things abot this game, I`ll hold off buying and rent it first.
Old 24 June 2004, 01:15 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

In the bar you just have to keep shooting everything - glasses, pictures, arcade machines etc... When the red bar fills up it goes to, IIRC, a kind of cutscene (I think its a shot of the in games graphics, of you walking to the car and driving off). You don't, if I remember right, have to shoot up the bar and get to the car yourself.

I have decided to take mine back (on XBOX) - probably for FSW after all.

I was just getting into it and deciding that I would probably keep it, when the game froze/crashed. It was at the Nice section, pretty much the first bit when you have to go and help and pick up the bird. Each time I did it the screen froze and the graphics went all funny. Did it about 3 times and at that point I changed my mind and decided that enough was enough.

A bit disappointing really, was really looking forward to this one.
Old 26 June 2004, 01:04 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Cheers peeps, bar now done, and the boat one after that.

Anyone found a trailer for the truck on the free roam bit yet?

I found the fork lift truck, not that's a larf!