Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Fixing a VERY slow IPX network

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2004, 11:01 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing a VERY slow IPX network

Hi peeps,

Looking for some advice on fixing a very slow IPX network and I don't know where to begin.

Basically we have 2 servers, one an old poweredge 4300 400 MHz (Running Netware 5)with 512 MB and ~30 GB RAID 5 and a new beefy duel Xeon 3 Ghz with 2 GB RAM per CPU with 300 GB RAID 10 storage (Running netware 6 sp3). These are connected to a switch via 100 MB/s into a 3com Switch.

Now the IP network is fine, nice and speedy. 8 MB copies in less than 10 seconds. However the IPX network is dog slow, ie < 1 MB minute. Thats using Ncopy from my workstation (dell 1.6 GHz, 256 MB RAM) from old server to new with rights (same network switch)

So where do I start.

The facts are:

The only problem is on the IPX network. IP side is fine and fast.
All machines are on the same network switch, connected at 100 MB/s on a 3com. The protocol preferances are IPX then IP but IP still soars compared to IPX.

So where do I start to look ? Etherreal is fine but it cant do anything because its a switch not a hub.

Last edited by Stueyb; 14 June 2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 14 June 2004, 11:32 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look on the server's monitor console and check for errors on the IPX side of the LAN cards. NCOPY uses server resources to copy files i.e. direct server -> server so it's dependant on server memory to cope with packet receive buffers. It doesn't copy data from server -> workstation -> server as XCOPY does.

Are you running native IPX on both servers and workstations and not just compatibility mode? Is IPX bound to the same interface on the servers as IP? it's not seperate NIC's for example.

Also, is copies slow in just one direction? i.e. from old -> new OR new -> old

Stefan
Old 14 June 2004, 11:50 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Ozzy,

Copies are slow in both directions. We are running full IPX becasuse we have legacy apps (Symantec Q&A) thant cant run over IP. Ill look at the sever monitor tommorow and see what it comes up with. The IPX is still bound to the same card. We do have a nice fibre card to go in though
Old 15 June 2004, 12:00 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than hardware, the most commons problems I had on NetWare were usually server NIC drivers or the IPX NLM's version on Service Packs (specifically with new hardware) OR the client software

What about server -> PC copies?

I would try from old server to PC as it could be driver issues with the new hardware. I would try an isolate either a server or the client.

Stefan
Old 06 January 2005, 08:52 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Lol, yes its old but its fixed. Basically the old machine just wasnt up to the job. All the files got moved and its being turned off next week. On the new system, it is absolutly fast as can be. So I can make a mistake a thousand times faster
Old 06 January 2005, 10:38 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Quick and simple thing to check - your IPX frame type will be set to AUTO on the workstations and probably 802.2 on the Server...

On the w/s change the frame type to the same (802.2) and this speeds up IPX transmits noticeably - what happens is that 4 packets are sent out for every one you need when using AUTO.