Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

transfering files from one old pc to a new one?

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2004, 04:28 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question transfering files from one old pc to a new one?

Hi

We have just bought a new Dell pc to replace our 6 yr old pc and need to get all the files off of the old one onto the new Dell.

Question is, what the quickest, safest and easiest way of doing this?

Both are Xp, both on LAN, files needed are all of the outlook files, pgp files, and some other programs (i.e. Paint shop pro)

I dont want to end up havoing to install the programs (i.e. PSP & PGP) over again on the new Dell?

Anyone?

ta

Neil
Old 02 June 2004, 04:54 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need to re-install the basic applications on the new machine. You can't just transfer the actual program folders across as settings are stored in the registry and also you can't guarantee you'll copy all the required DLL files.

If the program folders hold the configuration settings, then it's possible to install the app and then overwrite the folder with the one from the old machine. How well this works depends on the individual app.

Personally, I would hook them both up to the LAN and copy what I needed straight across to a temporary folder. Then start re-arranging stuff from there.

There's a file and settings transfer wizard in XP, but I don't know how well this works. I've always preferred to keep a new PC with a clean install and just copy over the actual data rather than program settings.

Stefan
Old 02 June 2004, 05:15 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just stick the old hard drive in the new machine, new hard drive as a slave, and boot off the old one? worked for me