Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XP Professional wont shut down on first attempt, have to give command twice - why?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2004, 08:09 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be the APM settings, have you updated and patched windows lately (stupid question, I know).

Or your registry is just too big/needing serviced and is taking ages to save settings before shutting down.

Or running norton with CCAPP running, but not finishing.
Old 05 May 2004, 10:22 PM
PaulT00
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a known problem (which was supposed to be fixed in XP SP1) where Windows would get "halfway down" and then fail to shutdown completely due to some sort of problem with LOGINOUT.EXE. I had this on my laptop but SP1 seemed to fix it.

Your best bet is probably to go and look through the page somewhere on the microsoft website about reasons why XP might fail to shutdown - but it might take a while to work out what's going on because there are so many things which could be causing the problem.
Old 06 May 2004, 10:30 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on the MS knowledge base under the Resources/Support menu. XP has loads of issues shutting down like all previous versions of Windose

I know of one registry fix that adjusts a timer on shutdown enabling XP extra time to complete the processes which apparently fixes some users shutdown problems. This might work for you. Here;

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Also look at this page below, and then scroll to the 'Recommended Microsoft Knowledge Base articles' near the bottom.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

HTH