Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone use Avalaunch?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2004, 07:27 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Avalaunch?

Just wondering if any forum users are running Avalaunch as their main Dashboard on Xbox?

If so, can you let me know what Bios you are currently using, and how you have it configured? I intend to install Avalaunch on my machine sometime next week, but I'm unsure whether the later Xecuter Bios's support "avalaunch.xbe" as a primary boot file ahead of "xboxdash.xbe" - does anyone know?

I have the latest version of "Xbtool" which will enable me to manually alter the boot sequence on older Bios releases, but I'm not able to do this on the latest versions (4981 onwards) from what I can gather.

The alternative is renaming "xboxdash.xbe", but I'd like to avoid this if I can help it.

Any comments/suggestions?

K.
Old 04 May 2004, 07:59 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by kelvin
Just wondering if any forum users are running Avalaunch as their main Dashboard on Xbox?

If so, can you let me know what Bios you are currently using, and how you have it configured? I intend to install Avalaunch on my machine sometime next week, but I'm unsure whether the later Xecuter Bios's support "avalaunch.xbe" as a primary boot file ahead of "xboxdash.xbe" - does anyone know?

I have the latest version of "Xbtool" which will enable me to manually alter the boot sequence on older Bios releases, but I'm not able to do this on the latest versions (4981 onwards) from what I can gather.

The alternative is renaming "xboxdash.xbe", but I'd like to avoid this if I can help it.

Any comments/suggestions?

K.

I'm using Avalaunch with X2 4983.06

I think evoXdash.xbe is the primary boot partition. AFAIK XBTool hasn't been updated for 4983, I just renamed my xbe.
Old 05 May 2004, 10:19 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
I think evoXdash.xbe is the primary boot partition...
I didn't realise that - on that basis, would I be better off renaming my "avalaunch.xbe" to "evoXdash.xbe"? How can I find out what the primary boot partition is for definite? It's a shame everything's so evoX orientated... Avalaunch looks much nicer

My concern with editing the "xboxdash.xbe" to "msxboxdash.xbe" (or similar) is that when the mod chip is disabled, I will have 2 problems...

i) When using "Live", any updates downloaded for the Xbox Dash will relate to "xboxdash.xbe" and could (potentially) stuff up Avalaunch (which will be renamed to "xboxdash.xbe"?)

ii) I'm not totally certain how I configure the Xbox's internal BIOS to boot "msxboxdash.xbe" on startup instead of "xboxdash.xbe"

K.
Old 05 May 2004, 11:08 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Boot order for Xecuter bios is:

1) evoXdash.xbe (evolutionx)
2) avadash.xbe (avalaunch)
3) mxmdash.xbe (Media X Menu)
4) xboxdash.xbe (original MS Dash)

So if evoxdash is not there it will boot Avalaunch anyway, as it skips to the next one in line. This info is straight from Team Xecuter.

When I say I renamed my xbe, I meant that I renamed from avadash.xbe to evoxdash.xbe, like you say, you should always leave xboxdash.xbe as it is if you want to switch back for Live.

So leave xboxdash.xbe as the original MS dash so that it will boot when the mod is switched off. And leave you avadash.xbe as is too, making sure that you have removed or renamed evoxdash.xbe so that it doesn't get priority.

You don't need msxboxdash.xbe any more, that was an EvoX thing
Old 05 May 2004, 11:21 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Fantastic - just what I wanted to hear

I assume then, that the reason you renamed your .xbe was because you still have EvoX on your HD? It sounds in any case like it should be an easy enough upgrade

Many Thanks (again!) for your input - much appreciated

K.
Old 05 May 2004, 11:39 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

You assume correct I stil have EvoX on there, as I've not got around to tidying up

Have fun !
Old 05 May 2004, 02:55 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

I renamed "avalaunch.xbe" to "evoXdash.xbe" when i switched to Avalaunch and it works fine.
Old 05 May 2004, 03:10 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

According to this, the 4983 Xecuter2 BIOS searches for "avalaunch.xbe" before anything else anyway so I'm sure I'll be ok...

I don't have EvoX on my 'box and IMO, Avalaunch looks far better anyway

Shouldn't be any conflicts... (fingers crossed!)

K.

Last edited by kelvin; 05 May 2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05 May 2004, 04:08 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

You'll be fine.

Although . . .
http://www.teamxecuter.com/modules.p...content&tid=11

Even if it was the other way round it won't matter

EvolutionX is behind the times, Avalaunch is where its at Well, until tHC is finished

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 05 May 2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05 May 2004, 04:21 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Just checked the nfo and for 4983 its now:

Avalaunch.xbe
Evoxdash.xbe
MXMdash.xbe
NexGen.xbe
xboxdash.xbe

There won't be support in XBTool for it, as the bios is encrypted. They did this because there is code for new X3 features in there which they are testing. If you need to change the boot order then you must use 4981.
Old 05 May 2004, 04:53 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that DJ Dunk I'd read as much but it's nice to have it confirmed

I don't intend (for now anyway), to install EvoX although I imagine I'll get "bored" at some point and fancy a change... I've not come across "tHC" - I've only just got my head around what's about now so don't go confusing things further...

X3 is certainly intriguing but being the impatient git that I am I want to start modding now... I'm sure I'll be able to find an excuse at a later date to "upgrade"

K.
Old 06 May 2004, 08:18 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I'm running 4983 too, and I've installed Avalaunch. However, if I rename Evoxdash.xbe to something else, the Xbox boots into the normal Xbox setup menu.

If I run Boxplorer and click on Avaluanch.xbe, it works fine ! Er, anyone know what's going on ? What I've missed

Cheers

Matt
Old 06 May 2004, 08:41 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Matt - Last resort, rename avalaunch.xbe to evoxdash.xbe. Is your file definitely called avalaunch.xbe and not avadash.xbe like it used to be ?
Old 06 May 2004, 10:10 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Give these a try tonight mate.

Cheers