Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help required please - Which Router/modem Router & PCMCIA card for home network

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2004, 10:40 AM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help required please - Which Router/modem Router & PCMCIA card for home network

Hi guys....

Hoping you can help me out here (me Novice)

I currently have BT broadband with bt modem (supplied by BT) connected to usb to my current desktop.

I am getting a laptop shortly and wish to make it wireless and also keep the desktop linked. Would ideally like to share files/printers etc

I understand I will require a wireless router and PCMCIA card for the laptop. I could cable the desktop to the router.

The thing I am not too clear on is whether the current BT modem needs to be replaced????

Is it the case I can buy a router or a router/modem (in one)??

What's the best option to take and then what are the best units out there??

Anyone out there using wireless with BT??

Info VERY much APPRECIATED!!!!!!

Did I explain it OK???

Cheers

Phil

Edited to say............... I will also want to connect an xbox up to it aswell ..... either wireless or not..... recommendations please!!!

Last edited by Leg@cy; 05 May 2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05 May 2004, 11:23 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes replace the BT modem. As your adsl modem is on USB it limits you to zero options router wise. 1st off u will need a network interface card for your PC so that u can plug in an ADSL modem/wireless router/firewall all in one box into the ethernet port of the NIC. Or maybe u have an onboard ethernet/LAN connector in your PC already? The router plugs into your PC first you see, then the ADSL modem into the router, if u had a seperate ADSL ethernet modem. And afaik u cannot get a router that connects via a USB connection.

All the popular companies make an all in one solution which would be perfect for u in this case. Netgear, linksys, 3com, Belkin to mention a few a ones to look out for. They all retail for less than a ton. For the laptop as u say, u jus need a PCMCIA wireless adapter to link to the wireless router connected to your PC (these cost approx £30-50). Make sure its a match to the router make though for good compatibility.

Also as u want to connect your xbox to the router as well, make sure u pick one that has additional ethernet ports built in. Most of them have this as standard.

Last edited by bioforger; 05 May 2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05 May 2004, 11:45 AM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Bio

My Desktop currently has ethernet/LAN ports on it

So I can go for and 'All in one' option - Modem Router???

Am I correct in assuming that each PC/laptop will connect independantly of the other??

i.e. When the Laptop is connected and surfing the net...... it will not use any system resource of the PC & vice versa??

So......... I'm in the market for a wireless modem/router with approx 4 ports and a compatible PCMCIA card (for compatibility reasons likley to be the same brand as the modem router)

From all that is said in this forum, there is no reason not to go for the 11g option......

they are backward compatible, but hey...... I'm going forward!!!!

on to the ....... Xbox.....

Can you get a wireless adaptor for the xbox??? to plug in the back of it that is compatible???

Q. Will it be reasonably easy to configure the modem/router?
I assume that with this hardware the settings are transfered to the modem/router. So my bt configuration will need to be transfered to it??

cheers

.............. learning lots!!!
Old 05 May 2004, 12:08 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Legacy4x4Turbo
My Desktop currently has ethernet/LAN ports on it
Bonus

So I can go for and 'All in one' option - Modem Router???
Yes. Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch/Access point n firewall all in one. They are called 5 in 1.

Am I correct in assuming that each PC/laptop will connect independantly of the other??
Yes. The router is plugged into the PC, so the PC will have to process the information and data from the laptops, so yes it will take a little bit of resources up. But the router is designed to cope with this, as thats its main job, so u shouldnt notice any system performance issues. The switch is the part of the router that manages the sharing of the internet connection to other laptops or desktops.

So......... I'm in the market for a wireless modem/router with approx 4 ports and a compatible PCMCIA card (for compatibility reasons likley to be the same brand as the modem router)
Check these for examples, all of these also sell the PCMCIA card for laptops;

http://www.netgear.co.uk/html/prod_r...dsl_dg834g.htm
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...ProductID=5966
http://search.kelkoo.co.uk/sitesearc...a64.LEO2uk&orw

on to the ....... Xbox.....

Can you get a wireless adaptor for the xbox??? to plug in the back of it that is compatible???
No idea, ask DJ Dunk about this. It will probably be a wired solution only.

Q. Will it be reasonably easy to configure the modem/router?
I assume that with this hardware the settings are transfered to the modem/router. So my bt configuration will need to be transfered to it??
The router is usually managed via Internet explorer and has its own interface. They are usually very easy to setup. Yes u will need to plug in your BT account details in the routers setup screens to get the initial connection to the net. The only thing that can be a bit tricky is setting up proper Wireless protection (WEP) but the manual will cover this, and u should be able to sort it no problem.

Edited to say, if u dont setup WEP, you will basically have a wireless hotspot open to anyone passing by with a laptop, who could quite easily use your bandwidth n see your files You may have seen this on the news recently, where ppl using hotspots at cafes were leaving their laptops wide open to hackers In this case proper setup of the firewall should protect you from this. But from a home network point of view it will not stop people knicking your bandwidth if u dont setup WEP

Last edited by bioforger; 05 May 2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05 May 2004, 01:39 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

One more question................

With 2 or more PC's connected and switched on...................

Can you share files through this type of modem router???

.................and printers etc
Old 05 May 2004, 01:52 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Of course.

These types of router are not just a way of sharing an internet connection it creates a network between your devices at the sametime, because they have a switch built in as well. So whatever is connected can be seen by any other device and vice versa, which means u can see the files on each networked device and therefore can move them between devices. Don't expect devices connected wirelessly to be as fast as doing normal file transfers over a wired network. But anyway u have the option to wire devices to the ethernet ports on the router. Still over wireless its plenty fast enough for day 2 day tasks.

The great thing about these 5in1 devices is even if u use all the 4 ethernet ports, u can still add devices wirelessly to the router/network, be it a PC or laptop, and maybe a games console. Actually for the xbox I think u can get a wirless ethernet bridge for it to connect it to the router.

If your printer has a ethernet connection it would be better to plug this directly into the router, then all devices can use it easily. If its connected locally to a PC which is connected to the router, then u have to set things up so that all networked pc's can see the printer I believe.

Last edited by bioforger; 05 May 2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05 May 2004, 01:59 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Aha!!

Things are becoming MUCH clearer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks!!

PS............ Did you order the DVD???

Mines waiting despatch!!!

Hoped it'd be here by now!!!!

Phil
Old 05 May 2004, 02:03 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

heh yeh I did, still waiting to, it might come today hopefully
Old 06 May 2004, 12:04 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

have a look at www.ebuyer.co.uk for a "all in one" belkin adsl modem with 4-port switch and 11G wireless for about £70. pcmcia wireless cards are about £15 to £25.
Old 06 May 2004, 10:11 AM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Suba!!!!

Bio,

Just checked the website and me DVD was despatched yesterday!!!

Hopefully waiting on my mat when I get home !!!!