Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

word of mouth.com ???

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2004, 10:02 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default word of mouth.com ???

Does anyone know the background of this site or how it works?

I've had a few emails so far this year ,the latest one is pasted below.

Is this just bull & does it breach data protection if its not??

this is the site address http://wordofmouthresearch.com

Investigation System

This email is automated, but it is not spam.

A user has just begun the process of researching your background via our website. This user is using our website to meet people who know you and have experiences and opinions to share about you.

This email was automatically sent to you to make you aware of the fact that your background is being looked into.

Why are we sending you this email?

When people find out others are talking about them -- whether it is good or bad -- they want to know. At WordofMouthResearch.com we feel responsible to alert people so they have an opportunity to find out what is being said.

To view the section of our website that references you use this link:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

How did we find you?

When your acquaintance submitted a Word-of-Mouth Connection at our website, they provided us with your email address.

IMPORTANT! - This website WILL NOT send email to any email address that appear on this list. If you have added your email address to this list and still receive email from us then you must have more than one email address. Please check the email you received and make sure to add the email address that it was sent to to this list. Many of the .net email domains also alow users to send email to you using the .com version of your address.

Use the following link to add to our Do Not Email List.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

We foster the spread of word-of-mouth because we believe it is one of the most genuine and accurate types of information available. Sure, you can "Google" someone, but chances are the results you find in that kind of a search will yield less direct personal testimonies.

Sincerely,

The Support Staff

http://wordofmouthresearch.com
Old 28 March 2004, 01:41 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

According to the search - no email address is asked for when searching their database. It asked for full name, city, country and gender.

This is no more acurate than asking someone directly. They can lie on it as they can to your face. What a stupid website
Old 28 March 2004, 08:35 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had some of these, I find the mails and site a bit sinister. I think it's just a method of getting you to confirm your email address, the site looks like a cover.
Old 28 March 2004, 08:57 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Fantastic - I can now enjoy further spamage to my mail server then ha ha ha... why can't I resits checking things out?
Old 28 March 2004, 10:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Well the HTTP: bit of the URL actually refers you to an HTTPS: site, which means that they can determine your IP address (if you, like most, hide behind your ISP's Proxy server).

I don't like sites like that

mb