Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

First Xbox 2 software to be unveiled today

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2004, 09:15 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First Xbox 2 software to be unveiled today

It's been known for some time that Microsoft plans to use the GDC press conference, which happens tomorrow morning at 11am Pacific Time, to talk about the Xbox 2 for the first time in public - but what exactly the company will be showing off is not known.

Development sources today indicated that Microsoft is not prepared to discuss details of the specification of the console in its announcement tomorrow, and will not be unveiling the actual hardware design either. It's thought that the company is holding back on commenting on exact specification details until it has more concrete information about Sony's plans for PlayStation 3.
Instead of hardware, then, Microsoft is expected to talk about software - and today sources indicated to us that when Chief Xbox Officer Robbie Bach takes to the stage in San Jose tomorrow morning, he will be accompanied by demonstrations of the first confirmed titles for Xbox 2.
Old 24 March 2004, 09:35 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

They have to keep the HD.... it's what set's the Xbox appart from the rest
Old 24 March 2004, 10:17 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Head of flash-memory manufacturer says Microsoft's next console will be hard-drive free. Microsoft dismisses his remarks as "speculation."

Last week, Microsoft closed a deal with Israeli manufacturer M-Systems to provide flash-memory discs for the successor to the Xbox, commonly referred to as the Xbox Next. Ever since, speculation has run rife that the software behemoth would eliminate hard drives from its next-generation console to increase its profit margins.

Today, a businessman involved with the Xbox Next added fuel to the rumor fire. Speaking to the Israeli business site Globes Online, M-Systems CEO Dov Moran said that Microsoft has indeed decided not to include a hard drive in the Xbox Next's specs. "Microsoft has taken the hard disc out of its Xbox," he said. Moran went on to say "the only thing left will be a CD," presumably meaning a CD/DVD drive.

Moran indicated that in the hard drive's place would be one of his company's flash memory discs, which range from 16 MB for civilian use to the whopping 47 GB military variety. "At some point, when users want to save their e-mail messages, copy music, or anything like that, the only storage they’ll have is what we give them," said the CEO.

When contacted by GameSpot, Xbox group product manager David Hufford said Moran was "talking way over his head." He continued, "Mr. Moran is aimlessly speculating, and we never comment on speculation. We've made no such announcements about future Xbox products and services. And we don't intend to for quite a while. Until we do, we suggest people take guesswork for what it is."

However, if Moran's statements are true, the Xbox Next will likely not be backwards compatible, since it would be almost impossible for it to emulate how some games dump data onto the Xbox's hard drive.
Old 24 March 2004, 10:27 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
it would be a big loss and would mean a lot of brand loyalty would be lost as a result. There would be no reason to stay with the Xbox so it opens up all the other consoles as an option............to me anyway.
Old 26 March 2004, 09:56 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

the big one though will be whether xbox next will be backward compatible, something which ms isnt too hot on, it wouldnt be wise if they didnt
Old 26 March 2004, 10:43 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

It's almost certain that it won't be backwards compatible. Makes sense from a 'true next gen' console point of view, but won't win consumer votes as most people don't see it that way.

I have no doubt that Sony will do the same though, or at least if they want to be able to compete with the power of the new MS console they will need to.
Old 26 March 2004, 10:48 AM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

To be fair, as a dedicated sony user, I can count on one hand how many times I have used psone games after having a PS2. Fond memories of GT2 were laughed at when i went back from GT3, etc etc
Old 26 March 2004, 10:57 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gareth Allan
To be fair, as a dedicated sony user, I can count on one hand how many times I have used psone games after having a PS2. Fond memories of GT2 were laughed at when i went back from GT3, etc etc
Exactly If you want to play ye olde games, you use the ye olde console you bought them for.
Old 26 March 2004, 12:11 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

old technology cant run new technology fair enough but i cant see why new cant run old apart from the fact that it may run very fast, could make games very interesting to play
Old 26 March 2004, 12:33 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
old technology cant run new technology fair enough but i cant see why new cant run old apart from the fact that it may run very fast, could make games very interesting to play
Thing is, its going to be totally new hardware and software, so different that it can't run the old software. All rumours still, of course
Old 26 March 2004, 02:37 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

just finished wallace & gromit so of to the video store to find something else. The new sonic game a good one?
Old 26 March 2004, 02:41 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Pretty good game Sonic Heroes. My mates hate it But if you were a fan of the old Sonic games, you'll love it