Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Why XBox?

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2004, 10:53 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why XBox?

I've seen people raving about XBox for a long while now but have never bothered to find out why...

I'm aware that it has a built in HD, but what benefits does this actually give (aside form saving game data)? What sets the XBox apart from the PS2 & GC?

I apologise if this sounds like a particularly basic or silly question but I have to start somewhere...

K.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:01 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Well, its basically more modifyable (?) than the PS2 . . . Its basically a PC in a console box. So it means you can:

Change OS (Linux, EvolutionX, Avalaunch, UnleashX etc)
Play Divx, MP3, jpgs or any other media type you want.
Stream audio and video from your PC or the internet.
Play games from your HDD to speed up access.
Modify the ports to use USB devices, even CD-RW's have been used on it.
Lots, lots more.

You name it, its possible.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:02 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

The PS2 can do some of these things too, but IMO not in such a slick manner as the XBox.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:04 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

You still using Avalaunch Dunk? I've been meaning to try it but as mine's working fine I'd hate to **** it up
Old 26 March 2004, 11:08 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Sure am mate, not going back now. In conjuction with Quix (also by Team Avalaunch) its superb ! 10,000kbps FTP transfers using Boost mode ! Lots of really nice features that EvolutionX should have had from the off.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:10 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

What size is the built in HD? You mention being able to play games from the HDD - presumably this means you could borrow a game off of someone for an evening, and keep a permanent copy on the HD right?

K.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:14 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Originally Posted by kelvin
What size is the built in HD? You mention being able to play games from the HDD - presumably this means you could borrow a game off of someone for an evening, and keep a permanent copy on the HD right?

K.
The HDD can be 8GB, 10Gb or even 20Gb in the Crystal version. Its upgradable though, so mine has a 250Gb beastie in it now

In answer to your question, er . . . possibly But that would be illegal of course.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:16 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Of course

I was just quite surprised when you said it - seems very "unlike" MS to leave such an obvious hole open...

What OS is installed as standard then? A specific XBox OS? If you upgrade the drive (I trust this is fairly easy), how do you go about copying the XBox OS across??

Sorry for all the questions...

K.
Old 26 March 2004, 11:23 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by kelvin
Of course

I was just quite surprised when you said it - seems very "unlike" MS to leave such an obvious hole open...

What OS is installed as standard then? A specific XBox OS? If you upgrade the drive (I trust this is fairly easy), how do you go about copying the XBox OS across??

Sorry for all the questions...

K.
Good old MS

The standard is know as the Xboxdash It doesn't do much, but modified versions and homebrew 'dashboard' replacements (as they're known) add menu features to it, so it acts as a menu driven system for you to run whatever program or game you fancy.

Because the XBox has a network port, it can use FTP to transfer data to and from it Have a look at www.xbox-scene.com
Old 26 March 2004, 12:08 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

In order to run these other OS' you need a modified BIOS. These come on a variaty of chips that can be soldered or screwed in. There's lots of different chips and BIOS' available. (note that some mods can be carried out with the original bios (this is called exploits), but I never really looked into this. Seemed more complicated then getting a chip put in.

I'm not as up on this as DJ Dunk. I've modded mine so it does what I want OK at the mo so will only change stuff as I need..

In addition to the modding capabilities, it's also (IMHO) a better games machine due to it's superiour graphics and speed
Old 26 March 2004, 12:20 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

10,000kp/s ftp? is that on your 11g wireless as well?
I've "almost" set up my dlink stuff..almost! the ethernet bridge seems to not want to play with the router
Gonna have a play with Avalaunch at the weekend then! Sounds like the Evox peeps got complacent!
Old 26 March 2004, 12:31 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
10,000kp/s ftp? is that on your 11g wireless as well?
I've "almost" set up my dlink stuff..almost! the ethernet bridge seems to not want to play with the router
Gonna have a play with Avalaunch at the weekend then! Sounds like the Evox peeps got complacent!

No, thats hard wired to my router, not tried with the wireless yet, reckon it'll use full bandwidth though
Old 26 March 2004, 01:22 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

There also are games that just wouldn't be possible to do on the ps2 / gc. The upcoming Rally Championship 2 for example, streams huge amounts of data to / from the hard disc all the time you are playing, (enables much more detailed scenery, longer stages etc). To attempt the game on the ps2 / gc would involve streaming from the cd / dvd insted, which just isn't quick enough for the job (and that's a quote from the developer).

Iain
Old 26 March 2004, 02:37 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

I've just seen the xbox advertised for £100 with Halo, and Midtown Madness 3 here and I have to admit to being more than a little tempted...

Is it a bad time to buy though? With "Xbox Next" in the pipeline, how long will it be before Xbox is redundant? (Been there and done that with PS1!)

K.
Old 26 March 2004, 03:29 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

There will always be something newer on the horizon. Just buy it, you won't be dissapointed!